PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Night at ASC

Peter Lyons Collister, ASC
08-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Last night the ASC hosted cocktails and dinner and then a demo of the Red Epic Dragon. There were 70 in attendance (I brought Brook)

Jim and Jarred brought their 84 inch 4K Sony monitor and Jeroen ran the Redray and the demo of the new RedCineX. Jeroen had kindly edited my demo footage into a short but informative piece and we screened it 3 times.

I am very happy with the results finally seeing it in 4K on such a great display. I hope that Jarred can get a prores version up here on the forum.

Jim was eloquent in the Q & A portion of the evening and Jarred provided answers to the questions I could not answer.

Hope you all can see it soon.

Cheers,

Peter

Andreas Mendritzki
08-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Hey, very cool. Hope the footage went down well with the 'club'!

Nick Morrison
08-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Any notables in attendance?

Sulekh Suman
08-20-2013, 09:16 AM
looking forward to it.

KETCH ROSSi
08-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Very nice Peter, truly look forward to your DRAGON footage, and also look forward to hear more about what it meant to all you ASC guys.

Look forward in seen you in LA soon... ;)

Andrew Huse
08-20-2013, 09:38 AM
I hope Roger Deakins shoots with dragon

David Mullen ASC
08-20-2013, 10:24 AM
The footage was very simple, Peter photographed his kids and his father-in-law in harsh sunlight, often at 100 fps to judge the compression rate at that speed, and did some evening shots in Santa Monica, just a couple. The conversion was done on RedCine-X, just a basic pass, and the grade was on the low-contrast side to show off the dynamic range. The presentation went down well because, I think, it was so low-key and informal -- many ASC members respond better to the "soft sell". Jim and Jarred answered a lot of questions.

We watched the footage on a 4K Sony monitor, which was quite large though not large enough for the space, if you weren't in the first two rows, you weren't going to be able to judge resolution... but they left the footage rolling on a loop so that after the formal presentation members could walk up to the monitor and get a close look. But Peter's test was more about looking at skin tones, dynamic range, and compression -- he said he was pleased that the 6K image actually wasn't not so sharp that it made faces look too lined. Obviously it could have been sharpened in post more, but I would describe the straight-out-of-RedCine-X look for the 6K footage as "full of fine details" rather than any overly sharpened feeling.

The look of the Dragon images is quite lovely, you can achieve a sort of delicacy and naturalism that is pleasing to the eye. I'm sure later down the road we'll see more aggressive images, the show-off stuff that you see in demos.

Phil Holland
08-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Ah. That would have been nice to attend. Really glad to hear it was well received by discerning, critical, and experienced eyes.

Andy Roberts
08-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Any notables in attendance?

David Mullen was there. Ask me how I know ;)

08-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Many of my ASC brothers and sisters were there. Owen Roizman, Roberto Schaefer, Roger Stoffiers, David Mullen, Robert Primes, Richard Crudo, Francis Kenny, Mark Irwin, Matty Labatique , Anna Forrester, Dean Devlin (producer/director), Paul Cameron, and about 20 more ASC member s and their guests.....

I will call Jarred and see if he could post a link for the footage.....

Matt Ryan
08-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Many of my ASC brothers and sisters were there. Owen Roizman, Roberto Schaefer, Roger Stoffiers, David Mullen, Robert Primes, Richard Crudo, Francis Kenny, Mark Irwin, Matty Labatique , Anna Forrester, Dean Devlin (producer/director), Paul Cameron, and about 20 more ASC member s and their guests.....

Thanks Peter!

Mark Pugh
08-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks David. Peter, what comments about the results did you get from others in the room?

Eryc Tramonn
08-20-2013, 12:02 PM
The look of the Dragon images is quite lovely, you can achieve a sort of delicacy and naturalism that is pleasing to the eye. I'm sure later down the road we'll see more aggressive images, the show-off stuff that you see in demos.

Thanks for the impression, David. It was nice running into you at Filmtools a couple weeks ago.

Robert Berger
08-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Love to see the footage Peter

Best

Blair S. Paulsen
08-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Those ASC folks have all the fun. Rat bastards ;-)

Cheers - #19

Solomon Nero
08-20-2013, 08:06 PM

Thats great! Please let us know what he says!

Raphael Varandas
08-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Awesome Peter!
Thanks for share.
Cheers

Adam Beck
08-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Thank You Peter!

Having much respect for the ASC and owning a RED, I don't think there would have been any better place to be.

Except may be shooting with a Dragon.

Asif Limbada
08-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Eager to check this out, Peter.

James_Mills
08-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks for sharing this info, Peter. I'd definitely love to see the clip too, though hearing David's approval is just about gold for me in itself.

Peter Mosiman
08-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Cheers Peter. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, nice work on S4 of AD. It still had the feeling and the look of the old seasons, but you made it feel modern/up to date/prettier without loosing the world that is AD. Thanks.

08-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Thank you Peter for the note about Arrested Development. Not really a visual/lighting show but great cast and vibe.

Jarred tells me he is putting the stuff up on a link.... Standby

Chris Bourke
08-21-2013, 11:37 AM
I hope Roger Deakins shoots with dragon

My life would be complete if that happened.

Brant Hadfield
08-22-2013, 07:10 AM
My life would be complete if that happened.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Adam Johnson
08-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Nerdgasim's would be all over if some how we could have seen a recording of this exclusive event. My kind of payperview event ;)