PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide RED Directory

Jeff Coatney
03-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Since there is a desire among RED owners that are actually using their cameras on sets around the world to be plugged into a support network of fellow RED Users, I think it's time to start building the RED Global Directory.

Think of it as a database of RED Owners around the world. Obviously RED has it internally, but we don't have access to theirs. We'd have to build our own.

It should be something that anyone interested in a RED could access. Think of it like an LA411 but only for RED cameras.

I know there may be many of you who would be threatened by such a directory i.e.; your name appearing in a list of fellow owners who are in some respects competitors. I can hear the arguement: "I don't want the people I deal with to know any other camera owner but me."

However, with the volume of cameras that RED is shipping out the door, that kind of protectionist thinking doesn't apply. Your competitive edge will still be the strength of your relationships with your clients. What's more, you'll be part of a resource pool that will provide you with more opportunities than it will take away.

I see it breaking down like this:

UNITED KINGDOM

LONDON

John Doe
RED#: 225X, 365X
LENSES: 18-50mm Red Zoom, 300mm Red Prime
ACC: Base Prod Pack, 2 Red Drives, 4 Batteries

Jon Dough

Jack Q. Public

MANCHESTER

John Doe

John Doe

UNITED STATES

ALASKA

FAIRBANKS

John Doe

Jon Dough

JUNEAU

Jack Q. Public

CALIFORNIA

PALMDALE

John Doe

PASADENA

John Doe

ETC., ETC.

So basically, it would look similar to the above. Participation would of course be voluntary. A centralized resource would give anyone the ability to locate a RED Owner anywhere in the world for support, or for a back-up camera, or if you don't want to bring your own camera along on a gig (maybe it's rented out), you can now rent locally.

To the folks in the bigger markets like New York and LA, the directory would function like a job board providing skilled Tech's and a pool of readily available cameras and spare gear. For RED Owners in the smaller markets like Washington DC or Miami, or Kansas City, it provides opportunities to rent gear and get hired by companies coming into their backyard to shoot.

The bottomline is; for all things RED (cameras, technicians, gear), everybody knows you go to one place and it's all right there.

There are going to be lots and lots of cameras out there. If you are renting your camera, you want the people looking for it to find you. It's just that simple. Your relationships are your primary advantage, but beyond that, you're at the mercy of the market. By breaking it down geographically, those larger markets get broken up into smaller ones and the smaller markets have access to the resources of the larger ones.

Chris Parker
03-30-2008, 04:16 PM
make it have all the geographic selections be available through pull-down menus....everything for quick access to a particular region...

Johan Pabon
03-30-2008, 04:33 PM
I like the idea. I can imagine looking for material in the USA hiring a collegue with Red and vice versa

Joe D'Arcy
03-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Its a good idea. But why are so many of your Red owners called John? And do regular Johns get preferential treatment on your list?

Shawn Booth
03-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm down. Who's gonna do this though?

Pawel Achtel
03-30-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm down. Who's gonna do this though?

I'm happy to host a public and up-to-date listing. Email me submissions at xxxPawel.Achtel@24x7.com.au (remove xxx) and I will try to get this underway in the next few days. Please do not forget to specify Country.

Cheers,

Pawel
www.achtel.com

chuckt
03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Support network is needed when RED users are few and far between. Within a year there will be 10,000 RED users. Practically every professional cameraman will be a RED user. RED is already accepted as the high resolution movie camera. In a year, RED will become the standard video camera for all occasions. Then you would not need a support network.

Jeff Deveraux
03-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Right on, I'm down.

Jeff Coatney
03-31-2008, 05:46 AM
Its a good idea. But why are so many of your Red owners called John? And do regular Johns get preferential treatment on your list?

You're right! I'll alert the vice squad immediately!:shifty:

Ziad Oakes
03-31-2008, 06:49 AM
sounds good

Mark Thorpe
03-31-2008, 10:28 AM
A database of this genre has been attempted by a few people in the past with some pleasing efforts. For whatever reason though they seem to fade away after a short burst of activity, quite why I'm not sure but hey, you never know if you don't try.

Good luck,
Mark.

michael zaletel
04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Any update on this. I would be interested. Perhaps it should require some sort of verification process so that only RED owners can access the database. There are a lot of high-profile owners that would feel much more comfortable putting themselves on a such a list if they were assured 100% that only other RED owners would be able to access their information. In addition to being restricted to Red owners by verification, also, perhaps it could be an anonymous system similar to eBay where messages would be sent through the system and owners could decide to respond or not without giving away their personal name or contact information.

I think it should definitely differentiate rental houses from independent owners. Independent owners will be more likely to help each other out free of charge (you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours) if for example, gear has to be sent back to RED for repair or if a 2nd camera is needed for a one-day shoot.

Richard Lackey
04-16-2008, 02:48 AM
We are organizing this already locally in South Africa, although here there are no rental houses yet, only individual owner/operators. The idea is we can back each other up if shoots require more than a single camera, and provide a backup camera for each other in the event one goes down on the job. I think it'll work very well. A worldwide database would be interesting, I think Red themselves would have to set it up, at least that would be the easiest.

michael zaletel
04-17-2008, 01:37 AM
I think Red themselves would have to set it up, at least that would be the easiest.

Agreed. How about it Red Digital? Everything could be completely anonymous and access to the database would only be granted to RED owners by RED via email password. Messages sent between users would even be anonymous like how you can send a message to someone on eBay and get a response without either party knowing the others email address. This would protect the many high-profile Red owners while still giving them access to a database that could help them in tight spots.

Moderator: Could you pass this on?

-shooter

Jeff Coatney
04-17-2008, 02:44 AM
I think we want RED designing and building the cameras, not managing information that they already have. If we really want this to fly I think the community needs to step up and do it. I think allowing access only to Red Owners is the key element to foster participation. I think we should begin by identifying the key markets and defining some territorial area so it can be more easily managed by a volunteer (Point Person) in that area. The territory listing could then be compiled by an organizer that deals only with the key territory managers. The Organizer then makes a pdf of the directory available for download on their website and updates the info regularly. I will volunteer to be either the Organizer or the Los Angeles manager (Red #1502). I have a website that we can use and I can change the link with every update so it won't be available except thru email update for a 72 hour period. If anyone has a better idea, I would welcome guidance, input, suggestions or if any of you have a better plan let's hear it. Any thoughts?

Jeff Coatney
04-18-2008, 11:22 PM
While we still have time to get a handle on this thing (before there are so many Owner/Operators out there that it becomes impossible to start) I went ahead and started an account with Yahoo! to collect information. You must be a RED Owner and have taken delivery of your Camera(s) and provide a serial number in order to be listed. Only RED OWNERS that have received their cameras will have access to the information. After the initial directory is compiled, it will be saved as a pdf and sent to Owners. As a staunch privacy advocate myself, I will not rent, sell or divulge your information to anyone except a fellow RED OWNER that is also a subscriber. The directory is a one-way street unless you're an owner. Send me an email and I'll send you back an email that is formatted, simply fill in the blanks and return. The account was free, so I'm not out any cash to set it up. I'll copy and paste your info. We'll examine how beneficial/popular this thing is later on and decide if we want to keep it going or hand it off to someone else.

Send an email to: redglobaldirectory@yahoo.com

Richard Lackey
04-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Awesome, wow, that was quick. It will be interesting to see how many people list.