PDA

View Full Version : My "D R A G O N" experience...

KETCH ROSSi
09-29-2013, 01:38 PM
My D R A G O N experience...

Finally, after the last couple of weeks of Cross World Traveling... Pre-Production Madness (more on this in my new thread were I'll post the footage) Production, Post-Production with final Audio-Sound Track-Sound Mastering & Titles in final stages, I am ready to do a little generic write up.

Oh, firstly before I go any further with this, even so is just a thread to detail some of my toughs, and not the main thread were I’ll release the actual Footage shot on Dragon for my Short Film... I again like to take a quick moment to THANK Jarred & Jim, for such an incredible Honor and opportunity given to make use of an Early Red Epic Dragon camera to shoot my first Short Film, as well as a THANKS to every one at RED STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD, Natalie Vital at EXCLUSIVE STUDIOS, Ron Amborn at MAXX DIGITAL, Neil W. Smith y Sam Mestman, Y Blair Paulsen at HOLLYWOOD DI & LUMA FORGE “The Lab” over at “the lot” and each and every one of those that have and are still collaborating in the making of... Which, all will be properly credited in the End Credits and Special Thanks of the Short, but wanted to make sure I yet again remind this here...

I am Passionate to the very core and soul of my being about the power of StoryTelling of Still and Motion Image Capture, which has begin since very early in my childhood, I want such images to allow me to tell my stories and deliver messages to any one, most importantly to my self, yes, “my self” I in fact do not work nor did I ever care to work on any Image acquisition job if for not other meaning then having the pleasure to well, ‘Please” my self with the process and results, and I continue to have such attitude with any and all my work, it needs to please me, or I will not do it, I do not create Art via the Still frozen Frames or the Moving Picture of Motion acquisition for the pleasure of others, but I do so for my own pleasure, yet of course I do love for any one else also to like them, no doubt, but I come first, meaning I do not care to research what others might or might not like, I do what I like and how I like it, if others happened to like it as well, then I am of course very fortunate... ;)

I also happen to LOVE Technology, and I firmly am a believer that Technology allow us to better ourselves in every aspects of life, and Art creation, is not immune to the beneficial effects of technology, and for this I keep my self informed, educated and well versed in all emerging technologies that have to do with what I do, in this case image acquisition, it’s processing and it’s delivery. Having worked with the latest in Cinema Acquisitions for the past 7 years, both in the Pre-Production, Production and Post-Production arena, were I took charge of not only knowing the tools but also knowing the workflow from acquisition to Deliverables, I came across some great cameras that each individually had their pros and cons, and I will not go there, in discussion of Film vs. Digital, or this camera vs. that camera, but I will go on saying that my choices have always been made in absolute disregard to cost, brand, or friendships, and or influence of marketing or pressures form Studios, and made them instead in absolute favor of IMAGE quality.

To this end, one must not only know very well the gear it self, “The Camera” yes, but most importantly, how to properly light a scene to get the wanted results, and know exactly how to work with it in all various elements with the chosen gear, but also be well versed in all aspects of Pre-Production, Production, Post-Production, and Distribution, which this last one means Deliverables, in other terms knowing the final outputs of your images, which in my case I would always preserve an original full size, and infinitely re-size as needed from there to fit all viewing needs. At the end benefit of it all I only found one camera that truly delivered what I wanted, and that camera was the RED EPIC, yet for some reason, even "IT" did not deliver 100% what I wanted from it, but the RED EPIC DRAGON did!!

And I will not go too deep in explaining the obvious Tech Specs already know to every one in paper, but I will say that any and all cameras, including it’s first generation "MX" sensor, all currently available Digital Motion cameras, and 35mm stock is left behind... There is simply NOTHING that can be compared to the DRAGON other then 65&70mm stock, and when Pulling Frame Grabs it reminded me of my Medium Format days, not in the depth of the imaging it self only been attainable with the larger sensors, but of the clarity, the perfect resolve power in complete and absolute respect of the Dynamic Range, the Colors, the Noise levels, the Blacks, the Highlights roll out, the amount of workable information, the strength of the files in the Post workflow process, and of course the incredibly beautiful “SKIN TONES”!!

Granted, not every one will care about some of what I care, as not every one cares to extract Still Frames form their Motion Footage, and the RED EPIC is after all a Cinema Tool, yet as Jim Jannard intended to be, and why the name DSMC (Digital Still Motion Camera) it was at it’s creation intended to do both, and was this very factor that mad me fall in love as soon as it came out, and why the "M8" adventures have started, (thanks again here to Jim, Jarred & Steve Gibby) even so they were cut short for personal and other non related business matters, yet when it did came out in it’s MX sensor rounding up close to 14mpx’s and producing great PRINTS, it is only NOW that with the advent of the new 19 MP's r+DRAGON sensor, Jim’s vision in my strong opinion did truly came to deliver all of it’s promises AND MORE.

Pulling frames form the Dragon Motion Footage form my first short film “The RED dress” has been a truly GREAT experience, and even so I am in the Run-n’-Gun mode with a small 15” MBP Retina and a small Wacom Intuos Pro Touch Pen Tablet, I can already see what an incredible site this images are when I take them to my usual Still Post Workflow, were I spend much less time retouching and more time off my rear... Enjoying life, yet I am reading my self to the WOW factor this images will have once viewed in a LARGE 4K monitor both in Landscape and Portrait view modes to fully appreciate this images off the Dragon, and of course I can not wait to see it‘s Prints!!

When we shot my short film at RED STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD I took the Dragon and shot with it no different then I would have with the MX red Epic, I exposed mostly in ETTL (Expose to the left) mode, were I pushed the blacks, not crushed but pushed more then many would, yet NO NOISE is present in any of the images, shot against Jarred’s new idea, a Black Cyclorama which occupies all of Stage 2, were we shot the Short Film in two days, with some exteriors also all at night at only exception of one scene, of the girl walking with the RED dress, shot in bright sun light, right before She walked in to the shade, and the camera performed incredibly well, NO Noise, NO Clipped Highlights, very STRONG, very POWERFUL new sensor, a truly new WONDER for CINEMATOGRAPHY, and I am happy again to be at the very forefront of this new Technology, which while it will most certainly not make me a better Filmmaker, it will for sure help me create BETTER images!!

As mentioned Neil, has interviewed me as well as Natacha and Blair, my trusted friend which whom without I would have had a much harder time doing what I did, and I would also never have meet such great guys like Neil and Sam over at Hollywood DI & Luma Forge.

Thanks for reading and participating guys!!

The Red Dress BTS Still Epic Frame Grabs Gallery (https://www.facebook.com/KETCH.R.ROSSi/media_set?set=a.1375169702723701.1073741852.100006 920521217&type=3)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/67953_1375170136056991_411503290_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1395364_1375173609389977_1864406709_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1377164_1375173719389966_1861939230_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1380477_1375174882723183_1060612937_n.jpg

And....

The Red Dress BTS still Photos Gallery (https://www.facebook.com/KETCH.R.ROSSi/media_set?set=a.1375160849391253.1073741851.100006 920521217&type=3)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1394120_1375162782724393_931502438_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1377967_1375160929391245_989936626_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/993722_1375161212724550_164894988_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1385418_1375161386057866_120957999_n.jpg

Interviews NOW LIVE on my YouTubeChannel (http://www.youtube.com/user/KETCHROSSiChannel) Oh... mine It's a LONG one... Surprise... ;)

http://www.reduser.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43243&d=1380552996 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug5r8l_9LBE)
http://www.reduser.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43244&d=1380553013 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvMC5lSPhlI)

http://www.reduser.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43245&d=1380553027 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmSHUI8WgE8)

Ken Wilson
09-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Congratulations Ketch! I'm sure the film will look fantastic! You are welcome to come visit Sunny Florida for a few days for some ocean fishing and fun!! I'll be happy to see u here.

KETCH ROSSi
09-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks Ken!!

Martin Stevens
09-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Nice. Congratulations Ketch!

Jeremiah Patton
09-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Wow, just followed you link to your Dubai video so now I'm doubly stoked for your new short! Really looking forward to those interviews!

One question, how'd the images feel when editing the stills you pulled off the Dragon?! What were they like compared photos from a dedicated FF stills camera?

Anyways, congrats on getting to the post portion of things!

KETCH ROSSi
09-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Nice. Congratulations Ketch!

Thanks Martin!!

Wow, just followed you link to your Dubai video so now I'm doubly stoked for your new short! Really looking forward to those interviews!

One question, how'd the images feel when editing the stills you pulled off the Dragon?! What were they like compared photos from a dedicated FF stills camera?

Anyways, congrats on getting to the post portion of things!

Thanks Jeremiah!!

I would not compare them to a FF 35mm camera as they just give me the immediate fill I used to get with MF cameras, with only differentiation, of the sensor size, and added MP on the MF side, which of course do bring a difference in the overall image fill and look, but definitely way better then any 35mm FF camera I have used.

No camera I ever used has ever been able to capture such a detail in all spectrums of light, in such a depth and with such high dynamic range and in low light or bright sun, as well as the Red Epic Dragon camera did.

So I am extremely happy to have had this opportunity and knowing that M8 is soon coming with the new DRAGON sensor... ;)

I will finally bring to life many projects been placed in drawers for years, both in the Still and Motion picture arenas.

sam karr
09-29-2013, 04:33 PM
I will finally bring to life many projects been placed in drawers for years, both in the Still and Motion picture arenas.

The red epic mx was not good enough?

Blair S. Paulsen
09-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Not to speak for Ketch, but over the years I've envisioned certain motion sequences that I didn't feel I could capture with any tool I'd ever worked with - even including Epic MX at 5K.

I won't know until I shoot them, but based on what I've seen from the Dragon, I feel pretty confident I can achieve those shots now.

I'm also looking forward to seeing stills pulled from Dragon capture. If they are as tight as I expect, then the DSMC paradigm will have achieved a significant new level of utility.

Cheers - #19

KETCH ROSSi
09-29-2013, 05:40 PM
The red epic mx was not good enough?

While it has not been just about the the Red Epic MX not been good enough, but mostly been about me been sidetracked enormously do to a certain project that drained my finances and impended me form having any free time to go and shoot, I must honestly say that with Dragon, I fill compensated for loss of time, and the fact that I didn't get to shoot my projects on MX, which now will be all shot on Dragon with far superior image quality, resolution, Dynamic range light sensitivity and all that comes with, including the noticeable extra Mega Pixels now at 19+ were even the prints off the Frame grabs will be gloriously printed in larger sizes with more detail then ever before possible on the MX sensor or any other Digital Motion camera currently available, makes alright that I didn't get to shoot them, because now they will be better then they could have ever been if shot on the MX sensor, NO question about it!!

Kwan Khan
09-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Nice

Alain M
09-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Nothing more exiting than making your drawers ideas come to the screen. And your first short with Dragon must be truly a wonderful blessing feeling. Although I feel so lucky and blessed to own a scarlet I truly get exited about living the Dragon experience. Until then, I will enjoy reading the wonderful experiences like this one you are sharing with us!

Looking forward to see the final cut.

Congrats again Ketch!

Alain Maiki

KETCH ROSSi
09-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks Kwan & Alain!!

And yes, Indeed Alain, no matter for what reason they have been kept in there, what matters is only the fact that finally you get in the position to make it come out, and of course one must make do what what one has and or can afford, and for this I fill extremely blessed indeed to have shot my first short on Dragon, and eagerly awaiting for our Dragon upgrade, even so not in my budget I stretched to make it happen because I realize the importance it will have in my image captures to come.

And while I also understand that while for me it is a big stretch for many is not even a possible consideration, and for this I also want to share as much as I can in order to give my clear pint of view and opinion about it, so that if not now, then every one could look forward a soon to come future were they too can upgrade to Dragon.

Eric Z
09-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Congrats, Ketch!!
Looking forward to getting a glimpse of your new work with the Dragon.

Alain M
09-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Indeed Ketch. The upgrade will be my goal for 2014. Until then, we will be happy and proud to see those Dragon projects that come out! One of those being your short!

Cheers

Will Keir
09-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Ketch, you really have a talent for making words standout. The ordinary becomes grand...

Will Keir
09-30-2013, 12:20 AM
DSMC my friend. Digital Stills & Motion Camera?

as Jim Jannard intended to be, and why the name SDMC (Still Digital Motion Camera) it was at itís creation intended to do both

luigivaltulini
09-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Congrats my friend Ketch :)

You are the best .:thumbup:

Luigi

Harcharan Singh
09-30-2013, 02:55 AM
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience with DRAGON......cannot wait for ours...

Harcharan

Gunleik Groven
09-30-2013, 03:02 AM
Look forward to see frames and hear what you think, Ketch!

KETCH ROSSi
09-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Congrats, Ketch!!
Looking forward to getting a glimpse of your new work with the Dragon.

Thanks Eric!!

Indeed Ketch. The upgrade will be my goal for 2014. Until then, we will be happy and proud to see those Dragon projects that come out! One of those being your short!

Cheers

Thanks again Alain!!

Ketch, you really have a talent for making words standout. The ordinary becomes grand...

I guess I do... ;) Thanks Will!!

DSMC my friend. Digital Stills & Motion Camera?

HA HA... Indeed... How did I do that?? Oh well, I think I said it wrong on the interview as well... But the point remains... ;)

Congrats my friend Ketch :)

You are the best .:thumbup:

Luigi

Thanks Luigi!!

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience with DRAGON......cannot wait for ours...

Harcharan

Thanks Harcharan!!

Look forward to see frames and hear what you think, Ketch!

Thanks Gunleik!!

Sergio Perez
09-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Ketch, great to hear... When I saw that photo of you using the 90 degrees mount, I knew you were having fun with the stills... Now, for the inevitable teasing... "Stills or it didn't happen!" ;)

Congrats Ketch!!

Ale Houston
09-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Way to go Ketch! Let me know when you're in South America, you should really take a few days to visit Paraguay. Good looking girls and lot of nature. You'll have open doors here.

KETCH ROSSi
09-30-2013, 07:35 AM
Ketch, great to hear... When I saw that photo of you using the 90 degrees mount, I knew you were having fun with the stills... Now, for the inevitable teasing... "Stills or it didn't happen!" ;)

Congrats Ketch!!

Ha ha, Thanks Sergio!!

The stills Frame Grabs are coming... And yes I love the R90... It travels the world with me... ;)

Way to go Ketch! Let me know when you're in South America, you should really take a few days to visit Paraguay. Good looking girls and lot of nature. You'll have open doors here.

Thanks Ale!!

I should be back in South America early next year, but I do not have dates... If I stumble near you... You'll know... ;)

Shadi Abu Sharar
09-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Ketch... thank you for sharing :) cant wait to get my Dragon hope soon :)

KETCH ROSSi
09-30-2013, 08:32 AM
My pleasure Shadi, and thank you!!

I hope every one gets their Dragon soon, and be participant of the AMAZING job done by the RED team on this new Sensor!!

Jamil Yosufi
09-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Oh God ! I really need to get a Dragon, My pocket also hurts :(

KETCH ROSSi
09-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Ha ha, so it is mine!!

But worth all the pain and suffering!!

Elsie N
09-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Ketch, congrats on getting this first work done. I'm sure it will fare well in the venues you choose and hope this gets you a leg up for your future projects.

Nick Fury
09-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Single name recognition is everything... Just ask Fury. Even though Ketch has that covered here, he has become, it would seem, the first "IIDC" - International Italian Dragon Cinematographer...

Thank you very much

Fury

KETCH ROSSi
09-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Ketch, congrats on getting this first work done. I'm sure it will fare well in the venues you choose and hope this gets you a leg up for your future projects.

Thanks Elsie!!

This is not the best piece to do just that, but it was the piece I wanted to shoot to have it in the scan and start getting an extremely important message out!!

And while there are also some nice Fashion Shots, separately acquired in Portrait mode, that I look forward to present, with our soon to come Dragon in my hands I'll be doing all that I want and more, to truly showcase what I see... ;)

Single name recognition is everything... Just ask Fury. Even though Ketch has that covered here, he has become, it would seem, the first "IIDC" - International Italian Dragon Cinematographer...

Thank you very much

Fury

Ha ha, I guess I have Fury... ;)

Michael Tiemann
10-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Ketch,

Can you say much about how the fan inside the DRAGON behaves? Is it identical to EPIC? Better? Worse? Thanks!

KETCH ROSSi
10-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Have not noticed the fan noise at all Michael, possibly because of the noise within the set itself for the grand part, and the concentration on my part for been involved in so many things at once, so at this time I would not be able to comment adequately about it.

KETCH ROSSi
10-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Oh...

Interviews NOW LIVE on my YouTubeChannel (http://www.youtube.com/user/KETCHROSSiChannel) Oh... mine It's a LONG one... Surprise... ;)

http://www.reduser.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43243&d=1380552996 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug5r8l_9LBE)
http://www.reduser.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43244&d=1380553013 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvMC5lSPhlI)

http://www.reduser.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43245&d=1380553027 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmSHUI8WgE8)

Ash Worth
10-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Posts work best on a cinematography forums when there are pictures. Many, many words devoted to how great the DRAGON is but no pictures. Isn't this the point of a camera as a communication machine?

KETCH ROSSi
10-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I will respectfully disagree with you, as I made this thread specifically to talk, not show any Pictures, Frame grabs or Motion, that will happen in a new thread... ;)

Jett He
10-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Enjoying the interview.

KETCH ROSSi
10-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks Jett!!

Vadim Bobkovsky
10-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Loved all the interviews, but I hope David Fincher won't see the part in Natasha's interview about shooting very few takes, his head might explode :)). And of course I couldn't forget how Ridley Scott joked about Fincher's 96 takes in this video (https://vimeo.com/49864550#t=92).

KETCH ROSSi
10-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Loved all the interviews, but I hope David Fincher won't see the part in Natasha's interview about shooting very few takes, his head might explode :)). And of course I couldn't forget how Ridley Scott joked about Fincher's 96 takes in this video (https://vimeo.com/49864550#t=92).

Ha ha, thanks Vadim!!

To each it's own, I love Fincher's work of course, but I do have my own style and ways of doing things, and He has his, I respect him, just don't agree with him on shooting so many takes.

I always know exactly what I want, and when I get it, I see no reason to continue on, and I am to believe that Fincher is the same, I guess when He shoots so many takes, it surely must be because He has not gotten what He wanted and He obviously continues on till He gets it, to that, no one can argue, to each it's own vision, and it's own ways.

KETCH ROSSi
10-02-2013, 12:17 PM
BTS pics Gallery... 300 of them... ;) (http://ketchrossi.slickpic.com/a/TheREDDressBTSGalleryFromRedStudiosHollywoodthisWe reShotOnTheRedEpicCamera/photo?viewer#6135739)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1277978_367325280064561_1955647093_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1264310_367325973397825_813277545_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/858803_367325940064495_1365235022_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1277918_367325863397836_401509496_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1272554_367329196730836_286937980_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1262970_367327210064368_1496919770_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1266451_367329570064132_1943292906_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/857868_367328666730889_1375974690_o.jpg

Vadim Bobkovsky
10-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Wow, nice. Are these from video BTS?

KETCH ROSSi
10-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Wow, nice. Are these from video BTS?

Thanks Vadim!!

Yes this last ones posted as Frame Grabs are form the BTS work of Postas shot on the Red Epic... ;)

Ryan Wilmott
10-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Good job Ketch! It was a lot of fun working with you again!

KETCH ROSSi
10-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks Ryan!!

It was great having you!!