PDA

View Full Version : S.two real time red workflow.

Bob Torrance
04-02-2008, 10:47 AM
NAB 2008

It has started. Look at this.

"S.two will be showing a revolutionary new product for real-time post production of raw Bayer Pattern Data originating with digital cinematography cameras from ARRI, Dalsa and Red"

Thor Wixom
04-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Link please? Source? Anything?

-Thor

Frank Weeks
04-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Thor

http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomonthly/tutorials/howtutorials/feed.rss/9276.html

Thor Wixom
04-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Thor

http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomonthly/tutorials/howtutorials/feed.rss/9276.html

Thanks, Videodisc!

-Thor

M Most
04-03-2008, 09:07 AM
NAB 2008

"S.two will be showing a revolutionary new product for real-time post production of raw Bayer Pattern Data originating with digital cinematography cameras from ARRI, Dalsa and Red"

I think the name Red was thrown into the press release in order to attract attention, not because they can actually do anything with it. At this point in time - and until Red says otherwise - there is no way to get uncompressed raw data out of a Red camera, and according to what we have heard in the last few months, it is not planned in the near future. The Dalsa and Arri products have raw data ports that pass this information. Red does not.

Chris Parker
04-03-2008, 09:09 AM
shame too. i really wish red had not abandoned that feature. cuz s.two isn't the only one out there that is offering a reasonable solution for this workflow. ah well.....what can you do.....

mezmo
04-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I think the name Red was thrown into the press release in order to attract attention, not because they can actually do anything with it. At this point in time - and until Red says otherwise - there is no way to get uncompressed raw data out of a Red camera, and according to what we have heard in the last few months, it is not planned in the near future. The Dalsa and Arri products have raw data ports that pass this information. Red does not.
Hi Mike,"
The article also mentions a '3K capable uncompressed portable recorder'.
How many 3K cameras are out there in the world today?
Mezmo

Steve Sherrick
04-03-2008, 05:56 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe we're in for more surprises than we realize come NAB.

Ironny
04-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Mike,"
The article also mentions a '3K capable uncompressed portable recorder'.
How many 3K cameras are out there in the world today?
Mezmo

This would be the Arri D20 in datamode, which is also supported by Codex. By shooting anamorphic Arri are able to use the full sensor, which equates to 3K. The Codex can then de-anamorphize for on-set playback or when creating editorial files.

We also wish RED would change their mind about RAW output, and either S-Two, or RED are being less than truthful. I wonder who it is....

Florian Stadler
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
It is conceivable - I am speculating not saying this is true - that the smart people at S.2 took apart the CF module and figured a way to make their own RAW data port. Again, this is pure speculation.

Deanan
04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Inconceivable!

Graeme Nattress
04-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Unbelievable!

Florian Stadler
04-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Traitor!

Bob Torrance
04-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Hilarious!

the s.two press release mentions RED post-production debayer only, nothing about REDRAW recording.
But I'm sure their is going to be lots of 4k news at NAB.

mezmo
04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
This would be the Arri D20 in datamode, which is also supported by Codex. By shooting anamorphic Arri are able to use the full sensor, which equates to 3K. The Codex can then de-anamorphize for on-set playback or when creating editorial files.

We also wish RED would change their mind about RAW output, and either S-Two, or RED are being less than truthful. I wonder who it is....
Hi Ironny,
Thanks for that info.
Mezmo

Gunleik Groven
04-05-2008, 06:24 AM
t the smart people at S.2 took apart the CF module and figured a way to make their own RAW data port.

LOL

You know what comes out of that dataport, don't you?

NateWeaver
04-05-2008, 10:21 AM
You know what comes out of that dataport, don't you?

http://www.reduser.net/forum/uploaded/3450_1207416076.png

???

Clint Johnson
04-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Evin Grant
04-05-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-b7RmmMJeo

laguun
04-05-2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.reduser.net/forum/uploaded/3450_1207416076.png

???

ehrm.

i think i preferred the original raw interface design.

Evin Grant
04-05-2008, 04:44 PM
That one is quite flexible though, and he colors sampling is great!

Martin Ludwig
04-06-2008, 02:50 AM
NAB 2008

It has started. Look at this.

count on Iridas as well - I am sure they will show raw support in real time with their new speedgrade and with the sequence publisher. They didnīt announced anything on Red - but on Dalsa, Weisscam, SI2K and others. If they or Red are ready to work together it could be a real cool tool for anybody.

laguun
04-06-2008, 05:43 AM
count on Iridas as well - I am sure they will show raw support in real time with their new speedgrade and with the sequence publisher. They didnīt announced anything on Red - but on Dalsa, Weisscam, SI2K and others. If they or Red are ready to work together it could be a real cool tool for anybody.

Iridas is, with massive distance, -the- raw DI system.

They support all Raw cameras manufacturer.

Arri D20
SI:2K, SI:2K mini
Phantom 65
Weisscam
Dalsa Origin

Sadly, only red didnt allow them to support their camera yet - as they had to delay their redcode specification once again.

Their colorcorrection format .look can be used in FCP and Premiere Pro, and other applications, as digital fusion.

Iridas systems run under OSX, linux and windows.
They have 4K and 8K playback and output systems, also for raw.
They support postproduction raw formats, as wafian/cineform etc.
For an inexpensive price (599$ iirc), they have the on-set speedgrade version, which is transmits the grades to fcp/ppro/speedgrade/fusion etc.
Also, they have 3D/Stereoscopic support in their products, and their prices are pretty good, speedgrade HD is 9.999€ here in the EU (cheaper for americans, due to the dollar).

whats nice about their product it that its end to end: starting on set, editing, mastering, playback, all in one format.

reality
04-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I just wish the Iridas stuff didn't crash all the time. I like their stuff but it's too buggy to use with clients.

Axel Mertes
04-15-2008, 11:15 AM
You think so?

We use SpeedGradeDI here and it does its job pretty well - with clients sitting beside.

OK, there had been downsides, and also crashes. But show me one app that does not crash... I've seen a bunch of crashes e.g. in RED CINE too. If I extrapolate that to e.g. its heritage Scratch that means no good either.

SpeedGradeDI is becoming a more and more solid product. And if it crashes, it usually comes up exactly the stage it was before it crashed.

My beloved RAW deBayer on GPU (thanks again, Lin) is running amazingly. We've now 4K deBayer with GPU support, instance feedback from our controllers on screen. Hard to believe that everybody else needs to come up with brute force overclocked 8core systems to achieve that. OTOH on such a system we have still big free CPU & GPU resources to work.

Laguun, when do you finally buy a SpeedGrade system?

Axel

Nick Wolf
04-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Axel,

Who can do an itemized breakdown for us with price tag as Laguun did here for Combustion:
( http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10400&page=2&highlight=magic )
For Iridas Raw Solution? You? Laguun? Hans? Who?

Thanks,

DogDay

laguun
04-15-2008, 03:02 PM
speedgrade is stable here as well, and thousands of others iridas user make the same experience every day. sound pretty much like a computer setup problem to mee.

what speedgrade do you own? what system do you run it on?

reality
04-15-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure which one we were testing but it seemed like it was the full version with all the color stuff. It was tested on an HP 8 core box with a quadro 4600. We ran nucoda on the same platform no problem but speedgrade would crash about every 20 minutes.

Lin
04-16-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure which one we were testing but it seemed like it was the full version with all the color stuff. It was tested on an HP 8 core box with a quadro 4600. We ran nucoda on the same platform no problem but speedgrade would crash about every 20 minutes.
Reality,

did you try to resolve the issues with our support team?

There are a number of variables, most notably the graphics card driver that can cause problems. Keep in mind that we do everything color related on the GPU, so if there is a problem there, you are not going to have fun.

I can assure you that there is no fundamental issue with stability with our system. The same core system that powers SpeedGrade also runs in 24x7 applications such as the ABC studios curved wall on Times Square. Imagine the state of our support hotline if that crashed every 20 minutes.

Lin

Matt Gottshalk
04-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Inconceivable!

http://www.davidlouisedelman.com/images/princess-bride.jpg

But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.