PDA

View Full Version : a realistic deduction

Akcelik
04-09-2008, 07:01 AM
to make a realistic deduction of baby Red from the information gathered.

a 2/3" 2K sensor will not compete with big Red, but it will be a serious contender to SI-2K, because SI-2K is a contender to Red.

the makers of MP3 format "fraunhofer" have already publicised a pocketable HD Camera on a 2/3" sensor http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/EN/bf/bv/ksbs/microHD.jsp
that demonstrates a pocket solution need not fall into the 1/2" arena which is all too close to the size of HV20's 1/2.7".

of course the quality does not boil down to how big is yours compared to mine scenario, and bypassing video compression leaves a lot to be desired, but shallow DOF has always been the prevailing topic over the elusive film look and many hopes are waiting for a solution that is truly pocketable unlike the seeming SI-2K Mini tethered to a laptop.

Steve White
04-09-2008, 07:51 AM
The thing that keeps driving my expectations of the sensor for Scarlet is that Red is a digital cinema company.

The Red One was designed with a standard lens mount in mind, and a standard sensor size when compared to film. That Red ended up 4K was in my mind simply a matter of what was a practical CMOS resolution for an s35 sized sensor.

Concerning Scarlet, this all ends up being about whether there are to be interchangeable lenses or not. If there are, I suspect s16 would be the way they go, along with a line of s16 Red lenses. To maintain the same photosite resolution as Red, you would be looking at a 2.25K sensor, but that's actually fewer photosites than many small sensor cameras have.

What seems to be at odds is this idea of interchangeable lenses and "pocket". If they decide to go with a fixed custom lens, there's no real reason to stick with a standard sensor size. Only a few more days to wait!

Ethan Cooper
04-09-2008, 11:29 AM
I keep wondering if I should go to Ebay and grab up a few good c mount lenses. If you're going to market Scarlet as "pocket" and it's going to have interchangeable lenses, then c mount would be perfect. I'd imagine the price on those lenses would skyrocket if Scarlet used them.
________
LIST OF SUBARU ENGINES SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines)