PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Aerials - Los Angeles | Axiom Images

CJ Roy
01-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Hey everyone,

Red was kind enough to lend us a Dragon to do some testing for an upcoming shoot. Initially I was just going to take the camera to various rooftops of LA, but thought it'd be better to take her up on a flight. :wink5:

The results were pretty breathtaking. The latitude of the camera was very apparent while shooting, but in post it was even more impressive. Given the hazy days we've had in LA, it can make for some difficult aerials. The haze gets backlit and you quickly tend to over-expose. I was able to recover just about everything I thought had lost. I'm blown away.

Special thanks to Jarred, Brent, Graeme, Nick and everyone at Red for making it happen. As well as our amazing pilot Aaron Fitzgerald of Airborne Images, Inc (http://www.airborneimages.com)., Tom Hallman of Pictorvision, David Arms our awesome Eclipse tech, Helistar Inc, Eastside Camera Rentals and the Axiom crew.

Crew
Aerial Operator - CJ Roy
Film Pilot - Aaron Fitzgerald
Eclipse Tech - David Arms
Asst. - Francis J. McGuire
Asst. - James D. Clayton
Produced by Axiom Images
(http://www.axiomimages.com)
Gear
Aerial System - Pictorvision Eclipse (http://www.pictorvision.com)
Helicopter - Helistar, Inc
Lens - 18-85 Fuji Premiere (Eastside Cameras)

Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/84018640

Bob Gundu
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Wow... super impressive! Dragon FTW!

Clark Dunbar
01-13-2014, 11:38 AM
it's a dragonfly

Michael Jarvis
01-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Fantastic.

Tom Hallman
01-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks for including us in the test. The Dragon was as easy to install in the Eclipse as you would expect, and the footage speaks for itself. Looking forward to shooting a lot of films and commercials with it in the future.

Tom

Tom Hallman
President
Pictorvision Inc
818-785-9282
Pictorvision.com

Mike Isler
01-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Sweet! Aaron's my first choice in LA for pilots.

We're taking the Dragon up in Wolfe Air's Lear for some VectorVision shots in a few days for air-to-air of an airliner...eager to see how it performs there.

Matt Gottshalk
01-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Nice.

Tom Hallman
01-13-2014, 11:53 AM
http://www.reduser.net/forum/album.php?albumid=563
Picture of the Dragon in the Eclipse.

Jarred Land
01-13-2014, 11:58 AM
http://www.reduser.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=47520&d=1389642534

Love this...

Bob Gundu
01-13-2014, 12:06 PM
http://www.reduser.net/forum/album.php?albumid=563

Oh my... Dragon is hatching!

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/241/8/b/hatching_dragon_by_wolkenfels-d5cikfu.jpg

Phil Holland
01-13-2014, 12:06 PM
What a treat. This footage looks great.

CJ Roy
01-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Sweet! Aaron's my first choice in LA for pilots.

Aaron's awesome. He's got such a great positive attitude and he's incredibly talented.

KETCH ROSSi
01-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Cool stuff!!

Nick Morrison
01-13-2014, 01:05 PM
The shoot of the boardwalk at night, with all the lights flaring into camera, really took my breath away.

Fantastic work.

I thought across the board the night footage looked spectacular...so much presence, so much detail and yet still organic looking.

Very, very impressed.

Thanks for sharing.

Robert L. Mickles
01-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Wow it looks great. I may be interested in licensing some of your footage for my film. I'll be in contact with you within the next few weeks!

Burke Doeren
01-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Wow, that was absolutely stunning.

I agree - the night footage really stands out. All the subtleties on both ends of the DR are purely amazing.

I have to say, it really does feel so organic and "right" that it's almost like you're seeing these images with your own eyes.

CJ Roy
01-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Wow it looks great. I may be interested in licensing some of your footage for my film. I'll be in contact with you within the next few weeks!

Sounds great Robert. We should have this footage up on the site in the next week or so. Give us a call when you're ready.

Samir Patel
01-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Wish I had a Dragon. No wait... Wish I owned a helicopter.

jason dewey
01-13-2014, 06:37 PM
what was the ISO you decided on for this? looks amazing.

Michael Winokur
01-13-2014, 06:57 PM
The darker it got the better it looked. Awe-----some, Awesome.

Wish I had a Dragon. No wait... Wish I owned a helicopter.

BRANDON JAMESON
01-13-2014, 08:07 PM
WOW!

CJ Roy
01-13-2014, 08:08 PM
what was the ISO you decided on for this? looks amazing.

Shot 800 for day, 2000 for sunset/night. Since there's no way to change the ISO because there's no time to land during the sunset, I adjusted the stop to what I thought it would give the thicker negative. So it looked somewhat over exposed, then got better.

During some of the shots I was a bit under, not being used to the 2000 mindset. I'm not used to cityscapes looking so bright from the air. It was pretty amazing.

CJ Roy
01-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Here's a couple of shots from the shoot.

http://vids.axiomimages.com/proxy/public/axiomgroup.jpg

From left to right: James Clayton, Aaron Fitzgerald, Tom Hallman, CJ Roy, David Arms.

http://vids.axiomimages.com/proxy/public/heli_eclipse2.jpg

http://vids.axiomimages.com/proxy/public/heli_eclipse5.jpg

Noah Yuan-Vogel
01-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Very nice, I guess you're going to have to update your signature to say 6K Aerial stock footage :)

Also I got confused for a second because your company has the same name and color scheme as the Apertus Axiom 4k open source camera program... I assume that is just a coincidence?

Eric Haase
01-13-2014, 09:29 PM
awesome stuff CJ. As usual, your work looks great. Best looking night aerials I've seen!

CJ Roy
01-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Very nice, I guess you're going to have to update your signature to say 6K Aerial stock footage :)

Also I got confused for a second because your company has the same name and color scheme as the Apertus Axiom 4k open source camera program... I assume that is just a coincidence?

Pure coincidence. Had no idea they existed until recently. And just to note, we shot 5K. The fuji 18-85 did not cover 6k.

CJ Roy
01-13-2014, 09:47 PM
awesome stuff CJ. As usual, your work looks great. Best looking night aerials I've seen!

Thanks! Wait till you see New York. :smiley:

Will Keir
01-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Is that WMD on that Dragon?

WMD + Helicopter + Dragon... to be continued...

Love this...

CJ,

So that was you shooting over my house! :)

Your shots remind me of how much I hate LA traffic. From up there though, everything looks beautiful. The road traffic, freeways and cars drew me in ... is that weird or what? Seriously some good stuff, nice work. Good music choice.

LA got a lot brighter while you flew the skies!

So you shot plenty of MX footage. Dragon is really that much better? Can you speak a little about your experience with low light footage in the past, noise, and how Dragon could change it all?

CJ Roy
01-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Is that WMD on that Dragon?

Unfortunately not, it's a preston, but I'm very interested in the WMD. We get a lot of requests for lens data from VFX houses that purchase stock from us, and the WMD's metadata would satisfy that perfectly. Even though a lot of these films are shot with other cameras, the VFX guys are always blown away with Red's quality. We get a ton of great feedback.

CJ,

So that was you shooting over my house! :)

Your shots remind me of how much I hate LA traffic. From up there though, everything looks beautiful. The road traffic, freeways and cars drew me in ... is that weird or what? Seriously some good stuff, nice work. Good music choice.

I know what you mean. I detest LA traffic and it keeps me mainly to the valley… because all the helicopters & aerial companies are here, not to mention a good amount of the rental houses. But when you see it from the sky, it's pretty mind blowing and hypnotic. On one hand I'm in awe, on the other I'm like "F*ck, I have to drive through that on Wednesday." When we fly in other parts of the country, we'll come across traffic and we'll shoot a bit of it, but it's never as impressive/scary as LA.

ISo you shot plenty of MX footage. Dragon is really that much better? Can you speak a little about your experience with low light footage in the past, noise, and how Dragon could change it all?

I didn't do a formal test in the traditional sense, but since I'm mainly the one shooting, editing and color correcting, I think that I have a sense of what to expect. The Dragon caught me off guard more than a few times and felt like I just had more breathing room. With aerials, the lighting is often really harsh and you go from really dark shadows of buildings to overexposed clouds in the same shot. It's all circumstantial based upon the weather you got that day, so you never really know what you're going to get. That can be pretty nerve racking on a flight that's a 25min away from a landing zone, because you can't change a filter in mid-air. Certainly more testing is needed, but I'm really happy with the results I got and it's my preferred camera of choice.

The other aspect that factors in for Axiom, and probably no one else, is that Red's format has made it dead simple to sell 4k/5k raw files directly to customers-- which they really love. Due to the size and bandwidth, I can't sell Sony Raw or even Arriraw. It's too big for servers and bandwidth, as far as I last checked. Red has made raw files marketable to every type of customers in the stock world and just about anyone can use them with ease in RCX. Not an easy thing to do.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but I think they really outdid themselves, in a variety of ways. I'm taking the Dragon up in NYC at the end of the week, so I'll get to put it through its paces a bit more and have a better conclusion.

Now, if only I could get the touchscreen or some sort of RCU in the helicopter to change settings, these shoots would be MUCH easier.

CJ Roy
01-13-2014, 11:03 PM
So you shot plenty of MX footage. Dragon is really that much better? Can you speak a little about your experience with low light footage in the past, noise, and how Dragon could change it all?

As far as the noise goes, with the MX I felt that 1280ISO was getting sketchy and 1600ISO was pushing it. With Dragon, I feel very comfortable with 2000ISO. The noise didn't scream at me like it normally does. I need to pull up some older aerials and compare the two side by side, but I won't have a chance until I'm back from NY.

Will Keir
01-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Did you get a chance to use the RRX Card with the Dragon footage?

Rob Anderson
01-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Awesome.

CJ Roy
01-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Did you get a chance to use the RRX Card with the Dragon footage?

Nope, not sure at this point if I'll be picking one up.

DP Marcus Larsson SE
01-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Sweet, i love it! Good work! We all love the Dragon

Mark Toia
01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
All these stabilised Heli mounts are so cool ! . Im hoping to use the one above in NY next week.
Dragon's make them better :)

The Shot over can carry, twin EPIC's both with 24-290 Angie's attached .. Seriously cool !

http://www.zoomfilmtv.com.au/ftp/JUNK/heli_dragon.jpg

Rogelio Salinas
01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Wow! Great job CJ Roy. Some of the best aerial footage I have ever seen. Still working with my Red One, but that Dragon sensor is amazing.

Mark Toia
01-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Love the AXION library. Fantastic coverage.

CJ Roy
01-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Wow! Great job CJ Roy. Some of the best aerial footage I have ever seen. Still working with my Red One, but that Dragon sensor is amazing.

Thanks Rogelio!

CJ Roy
01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Love the AXION library. Fantastic coverage.

Thanks Mark, I can't wait to get some footage of NZ.

Samir Patel
01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
CJ does your company license any of the still frames from your Aerials? I may need to license a few stills for my real estate websites.

CJ Roy
01-14-2014, 02:28 PM
CJ does your company license any of the still frames from your Aerials? I may need to license a few stills for my real estate websites.

Samir- Not currently on the storefront, but we're planning on launching an aerial photos division in the next couple months. If you're in need of anything specific, we can get something to you relatively shortly.

Peter Johnson
01-15-2014, 01:26 PM
My son just asked me if I was watching a Spiderman movie. This stuff looks wonderful.

Mike Dreesman
01-15-2014, 07:50 PM
I don't post often, but your opening shot caused quite a stir of emotions in me. You see, my Dad operated his helicopter company out of the Cal-Fed Sunset building in Echo Park for over two decades. At one point we had 4 helicopters based on the roof top it looks like your departing from. I flew for him for many years both in L.A. and San Francisco moving bank material and flying the news (KABC & L.A. Times). I'm not positive but I think we were the first news helicopter to install a Wescam in the L.A market. Anyway, the shots are awesome, great job!

Samir Patel
01-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Samir- Not currently on the storefront, but we're planning on launching an aerial photos division in the next couple months. If you're in need of anything specific, we can get something to you relatively shortly.

Thanks CJ. I will use the website and identify any particular shots that I would be interested in and send them over to you.

Fabius Rubio
01-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Congrats CJ ROY and RED,

The images are just spectacular, I am simply amazed!

Now I know, for sure where to purchase this breathtaking kind of images when need them

Fabius Rubio
01-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Oh boy!! :shocked::shocked::yesnod::yesnod:

Tom Hallman
01-21-2014, 05:18 PM
All these stabilised Heli mounts are so cool ! . Im hoping to use the one above in NY next week.
Dragon's make them better :)

The Shot over can carry, twin EPIC's both with 24-290 Angie's attached .. Seriously cool ! [QUOTE]

Only 2 cameras? I'll see your 2 and raise you 4 Epics.
We currently can fly with 6 Epics in the Eclipse for 15K VFX plate shots. Now just waiting for 6 Dragons to be available at one time.

47894 47895

Mark Toia
01-21-2014, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE]

Only 2 cameras? I'll see your 2 and raise you 4 Epics.
We currently can fly with 6 Epics in the Eclipse for 15K VFX plate shots. Now just waiting for 6 Dragons to be available at one time.

47894 47895

WOW!!!!

Tom Hallman
01-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Some day I'll figure out how to attach a full size picture :)

Tom Van
01-21-2014, 06:45 PM

Just ridiculously awesome.

CJ Roy
01-21-2014, 07:29 PM

Here ya go Tom. http://vids.axiomimages.com/proxy/public/IMG_1352.jpg