PDA

View Full Version : What is carbon on the carbon Dragon ?

Les Dittert
01-21-2014, 06:33 PM
I know that the weight of the Carbon version is about 1lb lighter due to some carbon graphite usage and a Mg lens mount.
My question is, what parts are carbon ?
Am I correct in saying that it is the side SSD module casing, and on the other side the panel that the side handle fits on to is carbon.
Anything else ?

Phil Holland
01-21-2014, 06:36 PM
All of the exterior side panels. The interior is Magnesium as is most of the PL Mount that comes with the body.

Les Dittert
01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
OK , Thanks Phil. With all that Mg, I would have thought it would be a little lighter. Every little bit helps.

Phil Holland
01-21-2014, 10:02 PM
OK , Thanks Phil. With all that Mg, I would have thought it would be a little lighter. Every little bit helps.

Heh. Even if we had carbon fiber bones, we'd still be a big bag of water. Dragon guts still have to weigh something :)

A pound shaved off the base weight of the brain is actually pretty impressive. It feels sort of freaky on a totally stripped camera.

Hrvoje Simic
01-22-2014, 03:16 AM
Weight reduction of camera's shell has another important benefit, which is more centered weight distribution. This enables more agility and preserves shooter's energy with handheld camera operation. For example, if total weight stayed the same but was redistributed on lighter shell and heavier internal components it would still be noticably easier for handheld work due to reduced axial forces and peripheral inertia.