PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet clues...

Jannard
04-10-2008, 11:54 PM
OK... you talked me into it.

Scarlet will be a surprise, no matter what you thought.
It will not be a shirt pocket camera.
It will look different than you imagined.
It will be all metal, no plastic.
We will not take reservations for it... it will not be for sale at the show.
It will weigh more than any pocket consumer camera.
It will record REDCODE RAW (duh).

Hope that helps.

jim

C.H.Haskell
04-10-2008, 11:58 PM
haha...I guess this will end all speculation now. ;)

jimhare
04-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Or create more...:tongue:

Greg Huson
04-11-2008, 12:04 AM
I knew there was some reason I was putting off buying that HDCamEx. Now plotting most efficient route to red booth...

Greg Huson
04-11-2008, 12:08 AM
wait... Not for sale? Ahrggg...

Kholi Hicks
04-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Sword + Axe. No shield, that'll only slow you down.

These little hints are nice of you guys to release. Speculation can be overdone sometimes, IMO.

brandon herman
04-11-2008, 12:17 AM
fantastic, intriguing news.

my question is this: is Scarlet pretty much designed, and it's just a matter of manufacturing enough of them to start selling, or is this just the first step and there will be months of discussions, feedback, design changes, etc?

Either way works for me, although I do trust the company to design something amazing, and I sure would love to replace my miniDV camera with something awesome for under a few thousand dollars.

Thanks for these little teases....it's like getting to shake your Christmas presents a few days before the big morning.

Jannard
04-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Remember that two years ago we were a scam. We didn't go from scam to super-heroes overnight. We still need time to pull all this stuff off.

Jim

Matthew Verkler
04-11-2008, 12:28 AM

Hope that helps.

jim

ALL good. Very good. A tool, not a toy. I wouldn't expect anything less.

brandon herman
04-11-2008, 12:31 AM
understood.

i guess part of my question was whether or not the prototype at NAB was specifically intended to prompt feedback, ideas, etc....in order to make the camera even better.

It seems like past experience indicates RED's willingness to listen to the end user throughout the development process, something those other manufacturers seem to forget.

Can you tell us if a time frame for Scarlet's development and release will be announced at NAB?

thanks!

Matthew Verkler
04-11-2008, 12:36 AM

Hope that helps.

jim

Yes, that IS a Scarlet in my pocket. NOT my shirt pocket.

Jannard
04-11-2008, 12:41 AM
The release date (sort of) will be announced at NAB. This camera represents a new category. Of course we will listen, but I'd be very surprised if there is much to talk about.

Jim

John Caballero
04-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Mr. Jannard loves photography. Different, metal, weights more than consumer pocket camera… I will go with my hunch: DSLR size camera shaped more as a video camera in black color. You can a pack a punch in that design.

brandon herman
04-11-2008, 12:45 AM
awesome on every level.

i love you guys.

John Caballero
04-11-2008, 01:00 AM
REDCODE RAW is going to become a force to be reckoned with in the industry. Red should even develop its own NLE.

Casey Green
04-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Cool - looking forward to it.

Say Jim, how about a RED image taken from your hotel room over looking Vegas ala last year. Only this is taken from build 16.

You can make a tradition of it and we can compare the images year after year.

:)

Yannick Hagman
04-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Sounds very promising.

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-11-2008, 01:33 AM
RAW Heavy Metal, yeah!

Seek'aaaaaand.... Seek And Destroy.

Pardon me, Light Metal.

Good.

We might just start our Crusade with a Scarlet and then add the BIG ONE later to our arsenal.

Good.

Sanjin Jukic
04-11-2008, 01:37 AM

Hope that helps.

jim

It could be a cut version of RED ONE and also with cut in a price.

That could be about US $7.500.

So for about US$10.000 less then RED ONE 4K camera you would get camera

that shoots 2K with REDCODE RAW,... and the rest will see at NAB.

arun
04-11-2008, 01:48 AM
ohhh not for sale now? jim jim jim when i can buy scarlet? cant wait more plz am also avoiding ex1 need ur 2 k lol

N_Villers
04-11-2008, 02:45 AM
or is that a red in your pocket ?

:love:

laguun
04-11-2008, 02:52 AM
or is that a red in your pocket ?

:love:

vote for sunglasses with integrated 2k camera :)

joe 1008
04-11-2008, 03:27 AM
...It will not be a shirt pocket camera.
It will be all metal, no plastic....
It will weigh more than any pocket consumer camera...

Hope that helps.

jim

So, will it fit in the trunk of my Tesla Roadster??? :umm:

Peter Majtan
04-11-2008, 04:42 AM
understood.

i guess part of my question was whether or not the prototype at NAB was specifically intended to prompt feedback, ideas, etc....in order to make the camera even better.

It seems like past experience indicates RED's willingness to listen to the end user throughout the development process, something those other manufacturers seem to forget.

Can you tell us if a time frame for Scarlet's development and release will be announced at NAB?

thanks!

Scarlet will most likely go on sale (or wait-list) on 04.30.08
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11440

That will give Jim and his team the opportunity to get proper feedback at NAB before deciding on the final touches and perhaps price...

Than again - as Jim always says:

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

Dylan Reeve
04-11-2008, 04:54 AM
REDCODE RAW is going to become a force to be reckoned with in the industry. Red should even develop its own NLE.

Oh god no. Please not another NLE. Can't we jst focus on making the ones we've got better? There's not a lot of new wheels to be invented in non-linear editing - just a lot of wheels to refine.

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Oh god no. Please not another NLE. Can't we jst focus on making the ones we've got better? There's not a lot of new wheels to be invented in non-linear editing - just a lot of wheels to refine.

Yes, please.

Hrvoje Simic
04-11-2008, 06:39 AM
This camera represents a new category.
Jim

The most important news IMO.

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-11-2008, 06:52 AM
One question that hasn't been discussed here [or at least I never saw such thing} is whether the Scarlet camera would be also modular to some degree?

Upgradable?

Or maybe that'd be the main difference with the ONE. (Pfhaha, the One :) )

John Wee
04-11-2008, 07:30 AM
now i dont feel so bad that i cant go to nab this year.

number6
04-11-2008, 07:42 AM
One question that hasn't been discussed here [or at least I never saw such thing} is whether the Scarlet camera would be also modular to some degree?

Upgradable?

Or maybe that'd be the main difference with the ONE. (Pfhaha, the One :) )

Good Question! I assume that since this camera will send shock waves all the way to Tokyo, (or whatever City the Japanese cameras makers' headquarters are in) the camera will be upgradeable. Nothing feared more by practically all manufacturers these days than non-obsolescence:nuke:

Russ McDonald
04-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Remember that two years ago we were a scam. We didn't go from scam to super-heroes overnight. We still need time to pull all this stuff off.

Jim

WHA...WHA....WHA... Give me a break Jim! Now I bet your going to push back the RED anti Global-warming pill, and we mite as well forget the Red Home Fusion Reactor. I just don't know how you can live with yourself...

krost-audiovisual
04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
so....
there you have it...

it's gonna be a digital slr, shooting stills at 12MP, recording to flash, with a large variety of mounts (from PL to NIkon to Canon), able to shoot at 2k at at least 30p, hdmi out, no big xlr's but small ones...
why?
the perfect perfect directors viewfinder, and sport's camera, when you do take Photos and Video - if you want...
Fits all lenses, so any photographer will love it...
provided with a 18mm-70mm lens...
live preview common with the newer slr's..

a guess, i admit, but that's what scarlet will (should) be...

only two days to go ;-)

Ethan Cooper
04-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Pocket Professional Camera
Motion Capture Camera

No wonder they were being so vague with their wording, it's going to "represent a new category (of cameras)".
________
LAUNCH BOX VAPORIZER (http://mflbvaporizer.com)

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Good Question! I assume that since this camera will send shock waves all the way to Tokyo, (or whatever City the Japanese cameras makers' headquarters are in) the camera will be upgradeable. Nothing feared more by practically all manufacturers these days than non-obsolescence:nuke:

The slavery of obsolescence lasted long enough!

Modular designs of the world, unite!

David S.
04-11-2008, 09:31 AM
All this for $1K.

What a deal.

I'll take two.

RicanJoe
04-11-2008, 09:38 AM
All this for $1K.

What a deal.

I'll take two.
Who lied to you? :)

Essor
04-11-2008, 09:51 AM
ttp://news.softpedia.com/news/Red-One-Inventor-Gives-First-Details-on-Scarlet-83199.shtml

Zhibo Lai
04-11-2008, 10:15 AM
The release date (sort of) will be announced at NAB. This camera represents a new category. Of course we will listen, but I'd be very surprised if there is much to talk about.

Jim

A new category? I've had my faith in scarlet since I first heard. I really wish I could be there @ NAB, missing it by 2 weeks. I'll be in Vegas by the 26th, any chance you guys will still be around?

P Andersson
04-11-2008, 10:20 AM
a lot of new members hanging out in the scarlet forums

Bing Bailey
04-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Anyone see the new canon hdv monster snailware. well scarlet is going to stomp it into oblivion and the ex1 and the hvx200. jim you have no idea what you've let yourself in for. when the details of scarlet are released you're going to have to barracade the doors of red shut because everyone making any kind of flick is going to want one. lots of indies lots of dreams.

you know sometimes its like watching the wright brothers or howard hughes without the funny hygene habits. I wish I could transport the film pioneers from the past to this future and show them what you've done I think they'd all weep in appreciation. I know sometimes we give you a hard time on here and sometimes we get a little nitpicky. but you've stepped up to the plate everytime.

thank you

number6
04-11-2008, 10:41 AM
The slavery of obsolescence lasted long enough!

Modular designs of the world, unite!

I'm wit' chu, comrad!:biggrin:

Wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out to be a 4-eyed (lensed) quadclops with lenses that were on tentacles and were movable like one of those B&D snakelights? and had a 4k sensor and each lens recorded to one-quarter of the sensor so you could have a 4k image made up of four modular parts? And you could shoot 4d... well, 3d...

NO! wait! Just 3 lenses... like a Triceraclops... apportioned to 1/3 each of the sensor and! and!...

my head hurts... gotta go ohhhhhmmmmmm for awhile.

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-11-2008, 11:05 AM
It's in the air. :)

I guess.

All this Scarlet waiting...

Greg Syverson
04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
They wanted to though us off on purpose. It was to take a little pressure off the negative post and a few unhappy individuals. I am not saying that Scarlet is not a worth while item. Just that perhaps the RED team enjoys us trying to figure it all out. It is working we are all into it. The board is more interesting and we have excitement.

The RED team is amazing and Jim is a true leader in innovation

Greg

Joe Carney
04-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm wit' chu, comrad!:biggrin:

Wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out to be a 4-eyed (lensed) quadclops with lenses that were on tentacles and were movable like one of those B&D snakelights? and had a 4k sensor and each lens recorded to one-quarter of the sensor so you could have a 4k image made up of four modular parts? And you could shoot 4d... well, 3d...

NO! wait! Just 3 lenses... like a Triceraclops... apportioned to 1/3 each of the sensor and! and!...

my head hurts... gotta go ohhhhhmmmmmm for awhile.

Dippin into the moonshine are ye?

number6
04-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Dippin into the moonshine are ye?

Heh, heh, Nah... learned a long time ago that I am chemically unable to drink. Still, I managed to fight my way through that limitation for enough years to create long term damage... hence the headaches when I get to thinkin' REAL fast.:wacko:

Ameer Azari
04-11-2008, 12:16 PM
DODOm!,dODOm!,dodOm!,dodom!doodoodoom! I CAN FEEL COMIN IN THE AIR TONIGHT! OH LORD!!!! WELL I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT FOR ALL MY LIFE!! OH LORD!!!

JaiC'sRed
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
For those of us who've lived through the Betacam, DVC/Pro, DV/HDV era Red/Scarlet is a dream come true. Many of my compadres have been spellbound by the potential this innovation represents and the changing of old paradigms into a forward thinking progression that advances everyone as its dynamics change. Thank you jim and the Red Team

scream_guy3
04-11-2008, 12:48 PM
My only worry with this is that it replaces the RED One. Hopefully that doesn't happen.:help:

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Oh Lord! Gimme streength...

Oh Lord! Gimme loove...

That Scarlet sweet cherry pop lady baby is driving mi cerebro in da fast lane.

Who needs Mary Jane when you got Scarlet Sexy Mama, shaking it across the horizon. :bleh:

Take it, Satch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My9B4uQYJn4

:sorcerer:

Andrew Hewlett
04-11-2008, 01:32 PM
That post did nothing for what I think it is...I already knew it would be metal, and record REDCODE. Three more days. Just hoping on a 6 month sales turn around! Daddy needs a new camera!

Wayne Morellini
04-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Hope that helps.

jim

Great, answers at last!

> Scarlet will be a surprise, no matter what you thought.
> It will look different than you imagined.

So, it is not a blond called scarlet jumping out of a cake, waving around a free camera, drats!

> It will not be a shirt pocket camera.

Cargo Pants?

> It will be all metal, no plastic.

The lens as well!?

> It will weigh more than any pocket consumer camera.
> Scarlet will be a surprise, no matter what you thought.

It is not a metal brick with hard drive and lens?

> It will record REDCODE RAW (duh).

He, he, I wasn't expecting cineform ;).

caseyhayward
04-11-2008, 03:23 PM
That post did nothing for what I think it is...I already knew it would be metal, and record REDCODE. Three more days. Just hoping on a 6 month sales turn around! Daddy needs a new camera!

Amen to that! The only disappointment in this thread is that it quashed my silly hopes that the camera would be available immediately.:pinch:

Joel Kaye
04-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Amen to that! The only disappointment in this thread is that it quashed my silly hopes that the camera would be available immediately.:pinch:

I'm guessing at least 9 months for Scarlet in limited numbers. That might be about when I sell my RED if this goes the way it might go.

Gabriel Sanchez
04-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Yay, i'm psyched!! Hopefully i can afford it.

mbaker2664
04-11-2008, 07:02 PM
New Gadget Technology Speculation always fills me with some nervous anticipation. Especially for gear that I might want! But we should couch our analysis with some reason.

Red One was a seminal release for the independent film community struggling to get film quality production at HVX200 pricing. More over its impact on the commercial film community and equipment producers has yet to really be felt. Red One was a shot across the bow at the camera producers who could have produced a camera of this quality if they were not so concerned with protecting the profits of their high end cameras (to be fair overwhelming management and a culture of mediocrity is a bigger issue).

Where Scarlet is concerned we should take into account that Red is a company in love with the "Think Different" attitude. its Name will be meaning full It's not Red Two. Scarlet is not just a shade of Red, it has historical, literary and cinematic history. Often related to a character being outside of conventional acceptance. Scarlet Letter, Scarlet O'hara, Scarlet Pimpernel. Not to mention the connection to troubled romance and sex.

If the basic information is true Id parallel the Scarlet to what the Canon G9 is to the Canon Mark III 1Ds. In a pocket sized camera you could fit a 2k 24 fps camera that uses an SLR type viewfinder. It would likely have removable lens. Like the old Arriflex16, except digital and less then 25 lb... It could recording onto compact flash or SD card. That would be within reach for a few grand. Infact well within reach considering that Red is still continuing the development of the RED One. It would not take much for Canon or Nikon to make such a camera that could use the plethora of their lenses. (That would be my dream I have 10K plus in lenses I love for my Canon Still)

This would be a great tool for directors. As suggested it could make a great Directors viewfinder. As well a second/pickup camera on smaller productions. Great in tight spaces.

If RED sticks to their philosophy it will be simple Flexible adaptable, attractive. The camera that aspiring high school filmmakers can reach
and that experienced directors can attach to lenses that match their big
Cameras. And that I can take with me into the wild to sneak up on skittish creatures in the wild.

But thats not the only gap in the Film production world that RED could make better. For years I have been dreaming of a device thats a cross between a laptop, HD preview monitor and tablet computer. Where storyboards could be drawn/edited/reviewed scripts/production notes available/editable and wireless camera feed to its 720p display. Again all the physical technology is there. The will and market is needed. Although the desktop infrastructure I think is beyond where RED want's to go.

I have to say I would love to retire my HVX200 and it's pile of adaptor lenses for a real 2K camera that would use my Canon lenses (With the use of their Image Stabilization and Auto Focus functionality).

And whats the second and third announcement. Have they bottled the cure for stiffelled Productivity? Creativity? Long crew lunch breaks? Rainy days? Will NAB RED Booths opening day become the new Macworld Keynote? Just a few days. Mysteries will be solved, Some over reaching hearts will be dashed, others will be elated wallets will be emptied. And many more humans will have their imaginations freed to come to life.

Eugene
04-11-2008, 07:38 PM
But can I drive over it with a tank, like a MagLite?
http://www.maglite.com/images/ads/military/track-ad.jpg

Will it look like a MagLite with a Red EVF on one end, and a C-mount lens on the other? Would it have lots of little buttons down the side, making it look like a cyber-flute?

Jeff Kilgroe
04-11-2008, 08:16 PM
That MagLite trick doesn't work... I drove over a MagLite with a Caterpillar D8 bulldozer and it looked like a flattened soda can. Of course, I suppose it would have survived if we were in loose, sandy soil like those MagLite ads. Heh.

Joseph Hutson
04-11-2008, 10:33 PM
now i dont feel so bad that i cant go to nab this year.

AMEN BROTHER!!!

Simon Smith
04-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Scarlet, I can't wait!

Dory Breaux
04-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Well, if it supports REDCODE RAW then it cant be a total flunk :-P!

I dont think anything would surprise me after the dreams I've been having aboot it...

robbo
04-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Lemme guess ... uhh Canadian, right ?

simonfilm
04-12-2008, 03:01 AM

That is the future. Better built things, with better (metallic, no pastic cases) materials. Non disposable. It is better a good machine with upgrading capabilities and that can be repaired if necessary again, again and again. Good bye to the kleenex filosophy. I think that most of us are fed up of having obsolete devices parked in the closets or thrown to the garbage.

Michael Booth
04-12-2008, 07:03 AM
We should have a countdown counter :D

Paula DiSante
04-12-2008, 07:29 AM
We should have a countdown counter :D

But then we won't get anything done for two days. We'll stare at the countdown without blinking, and when Monday rolls around, we won't be able to focus on the cool pictures of Scarlet coming out of NAB...

Michael Booth
04-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I hope you can mount lenses on it and it records to at least 2k with a decent sensor :whistling:

Johann Schulz
04-12-2008, 11:36 AM
A Red One harnessed, a Scarlet in the pocket, a Mac in the bookbag and a certain pair of shades hanging off a white-based Red T, for less than the price of an HD (rhymes with T, starts with S)... What's this world coming to? Even if it is, "The End", we're going out in style! Thanks Jim. This type of consumerism can't be beat! We're all winners now....

Finner
04-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Scarlet is a still camera version of the red 1.

Dory Breaux
04-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Lemme guess ... uhh Canadian, right ?

French Canadian, German, lots of other stuff. But mostly French Canadian and German haha.

Johann Schulz
04-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Is Scarlet a "movie" camera version of the Red One, with a cup holder? Or a "Crossover" version of an HVX and a Red One, resulting in a new being?
What the hell am I trying to say? Monday. Monday.

-lens options for sure (existing)
-about half the size of the R1.
-Sorry, but it'll leave the HVX200+ and others crying in the rain;
If not, what's the point. It's gotta be progressive.

Mr. Guiyotinne
04-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Is Scarlet a "movie" camera version of the Red One, with a cup holder? Or a "Crossover" version of an HVX and a Red One, resulting in a new being?
What the hell am I trying to say? Monday. Monday.

-lens options for sure (existing)
-about half the size of the R1.
-Sorry, but it'll leave the HVX200+ and others crying in the rain;
If not, what's the point. It's gotta be progressive.

Redcode Raw. 2k.

I don't need anything else to leave the HVX200 crying in the rain...

Well at least untill we know what Scarlet really is.

brandon thomas
04-12-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm just really hoping there's a nikon mount option..

Steve White
04-12-2008, 05:08 PM
I wonder if it will fit in a manila envelope?

Joseph Hutson
04-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Scarlet is a still camera version of the red 1.

I think you have gotten on my LAST nerve!

No offense. :-)

I mean it, seriously. You are a man who loves controversy, yet you don't even make sense.

Joseph Hutson
04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I wonder if it will fit in a manila envelope?

No...it is not a camera version of the MacBook Air. Good idea though. :-)

Dory Breaux
04-12-2008, 06:21 PM
No...it is not a camera version of the MacBook Air. Good idea though. :-)

no its not.

Joseph Hutson
04-12-2008, 07:22 PM
no its not.

Instead, it shoots 10K, and weighs 5oz.

I heard that straight from the big man himself.

David Dennis
04-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Guys, Jim has already told us it will be a motion capture camera. And I wouldn't see much point to a still camera shooting Redcode Raw.

So calm down. Everything's going to be all right :-).

D

John Caballero
04-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Lust for a lady, especially an elusive and mysterious one, always make men go a little wacky. Gentlemen please behave…!!!

Joseph Hutson
04-12-2008, 10:44 PM

I mean it, seriously. You are a man who loves controversy, yet you don't even make sense.

Don't take the above comment seriously. I didn't say it in a serious manner, but it just cracks me up when I STILL hear it is a still camera.

John Caballero
04-12-2008, 11:27 PM
It might have still picture taking capabilities, who knows. Other video cameras do this too.

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 12:16 AM
It's not going to compete much with the RED ONE if the lens is fixed, right? And if it only records to flash cards that's another bonus the RED ONE may have over the scarlet, and perhaps the Scarlet will be less modular than the RED ONE? So Scarlet could still have 4K and not compete with the RED ONE,right?

Peter Majtan
04-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Guys, Jim has already told us it will be a motion capture camera. And I wouldn't see much point to a still camera shooting Redcode Raw.

So calm down. Everything's going to be all right :-).

D

I really wish people stop using the term "motion capture camera" when it was clearly meant to be Motion Picture Camera. Lets stop mixing apples with oranges...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11183

On another note:

If Jim says it will be a "new product category" - that could only mean still AND cine camera in one piece that DOES NOT compromise either capture mode... 10 MPx+ stills with 2K REDCODE RAW @ up to 120 fps - now that is a NEW PRODUCT CATEGORY!!!

Michael Schrengohst
04-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I really hope it will do at least 2K upto 60fps. And I hope
it will be able to take 4K stills. With a Nikon mount.

number6
04-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Joseph Hutson

Don't take the above comment seriously. I didn't say it in a serious manner, but it just cracks me up when I STILL hear it is a still camera.

Ha! Finher is so intimidating that people start apoligizing before he even responds!

Fin-her! Fin-her! Fin-her!

planet e
04-13-2008, 11:03 AM
If Jim says it will be a "new product category" - that could only mean still AND cine camera in one piece that DOES NOT compromise either capture mode... 10 MPx+ stills with 2K REDCODE RAW @ up to 120 fps - now that is a NEW PRODUCT CATEGORY!!!

hey Peter, that's my singular idea that i posted on your other thread...how about a little attribution, maybe? actually, i just elaborated on it before i read this...if you really want to see the thinking behind this idea, it's here....

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showpost.php?p=193777&postcount=89

and also further elaborated here...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showpost.php?p=194799&postcount=98

Jannard
04-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Is the RED ONE a still camera? I can grab incredible stills from the motion...

Whether or not a motion capture/movie camera can double as a still camera depends on the resolution necessary for your still image. And whether the shutter speed used for motion is compatible with the look of the still you need.

Jim

planet e
04-13-2008, 11:27 AM

well, sure, but what still photographer is going to carry around a RED ONE to capture stills? besides you, i mean. you're a freak o nature--and i mean that with the utmost respect. some of my closest friends are freaks of nature....

hey, i took my best shot. if i'm wrong, just toss it on the slush pile of hare-brained ideas.

either that, or build it! i'd buy one -- VERMILLION....there's many untapped shades of RED...

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 11:31 AM
I bet Ray-Ban are gonna be there with the newly formed "BLUE CINÉ" and they'll have the BLUE ONE, with 4K AND!!! it makes you coffee.

Joseph Hutson
04-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Joseph Hutson

Ha! Finher is so intimidating that people start apoligizing before he even responds!

Fin-her! Fin-her! Fin-her!

What apology did I give? I said I did not say it in a serious manner in the first place, and do I give a care what Finner thinks? I DON'T think so! :-)

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 11:35 AM
What apology did I give? I said I did not say it in a serious manner in the first place, and do I give a care what Finner thinks? I DON'T think so! :-)

Okay children,,,play nicely :greedy:

Joseph Hutson
04-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Do Kids play nicely?

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Well, that all depends...I'm writing an essay on Lord of the Flies right now, and my thoughts on little kids are rapidly changing...man Jack's a psychopath, and Roger just sick,,, and Piggy, well he's just Piggy

I think Simon's gay

Johan Malmsten
04-13-2008, 11:50 AM
why should kids play nicely if adults don't? :)

Joseph Hutson
04-13-2008, 11:55 AM
why should kids play nicely if adults don't? :)

That is a good excuse for me. Being as I am not an adult.

number6
04-13-2008, 12:14 PM
That is a good excuse for me. Being as I am not an adult.

Me neither

edit: although I sometimes try to play one in real life... it's on the internet I revert to my true self.

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 12:43 PM
yeah, I'm sixteen meself

Joseph Hutson
04-13-2008, 01:05 PM
yeah, I'm sixteen meself

How many on reduser are 16 like us? I wonder.

Terry_Lasater
04-13-2008, 01:18 PM
What does "I'm 16, too" have to do with Scarlet clues? Take it to an off topic area... please!

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 01:31 PM
What does "I'm 16, too" have to do with Scarlet clues? Take it to an off topic area... please!

Well, first I said "play nicely" then he said "why should I"

Then I said "Because in Lord of the Flies they didn't play nicely and they ended up doing some bad stuff"

then this other guy said something about adults and then me and Joseph were like YAY we're sixteen and then you came you were like "HEY STAY ON TOPIC" so we will...

BLAH BLAH BLAH (scarlet speculation) BLAH BLAH BLAH

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 01:33 PM
wait a minute YOU are a junior member...sorry, I find it really funny that people with clearly more experience in the industry are "Junior Members" and then Sixteen year olds are senior members....lol

I hope the Scarlet is under $6K

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-13-2008, 01:40 PM
How many on reduser are 16 like us? I wonder.

I'm four. :weight_lift:

David Dennis
04-13-2008, 02:15 PM
When I first got my Canon XL1, I used it as a movie camera and still camera. I loved to grab individual stills in progressive scan mode for my web sites. This was back in the day when DSLRs cost $15,000 and the XL1's picture was actually quite a bit better than, say, the Sony Mavicas of the day.

I could see doing this again with Scarlet. I'm in the market for both a replacement digital still and video camera (since both my XL1 and Canon EOS D30 are getting a bit old) but I doubt I can afford more than $5k or so for both. So I doubt that I could afford Scarlet without stretching myself beyond reasonable limits, but I have to say that intuitively I really like this concept.

I think that since Jim operates under few financial constraints, it's likely that his camera will be a marvel but still cost around $10k or so when a decent zoom is included. On the other hand, I notice he has not lifted a finger to quell the fervent expectations for a $3,500-$4,500 camera package, in which case I might just dig deep in my wallet and buy one. I have been, after all, planning to pick up a Nikon D300 with the 18-200 VR and one of those cheap Canon HD units, and that's about $3,500 right there.

D

John Caballero
04-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Kids will be kids...

Michael Schrengohst
04-13-2008, 02:24 PM
When I first got my Canon XL1, I used it as a movie camera and still camera. I loved to grab individual stills in progressive scan mode for my web sites. This was back in the day when DSLRs cost $15,000 and the XL1's picture was actually quite a bit better than, say, the Sony Mavicas of the day.

I could see doing this again with Scarlet. I'm in the market for both a replacement digital still and video camera (since both my XL1 and Canon EOS D30 are getting a bit old) but I doubt I can afford more than $5k or so for both. So I doubt that I could afford Scarlet without stretching myself beyond reasonable limits, but I have to say that intuitively I really like this concept.

I think that since Jim operates under few financial constraints, it's likely that his camera will be a marvel but still cost around $10k or so when a decent zoom is included. On the other hand, I notice he has not lifted a finger to quell the fervent expectations for a $3,500-$4,500 camera package, in which case I might just dig deep in my wallet and buy one. I have been, after all, planning to pick up a Nikon D300 with the 18-200 VR and one of those cheap Canon HD units, and that's about $3,500 right there.

D

If you going for the D300 get a better lens than the 18-200 or at least some others if you are doing paying work. I have the 18-200 VR lens, while good for general playing around it is not sharp enough for paying gigs. At least IMHO. I have a 12-24 and a 28-70 these are much sharper. I plan on getting an 80-200. I have a manual focus 300 and a Mirror 500...these are great for
sunset timelapse.

Craig Schober
04-13-2008, 02:34 PM

Whether or not a motion capture/movie camera can double as a still camera depends on the resolution necessary for your still image. And whether the shutter speed used for motion is compatible with the look of the still you need.

Jim

i think it's really interesting how many times jim has put forth the idea that cams like red one are simply still cams that happen to do 1-120 fps too. now combine that idea with the announcement of a pocket-sized professional camera. scarlet was never described as a "digital cinema" product to my knowledge. scarlet has always been the description of a dslr that also shoots multiple frame rates or at least that's what we inferred. anything less would be disappointing to me. anything more would just be too physically too big.

WesVasher
04-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Scarlet is simply another part of Jim's master plan to get everyone shooting on Redcode RAW. It's going to allow people to shoot RAW on a much lower budget, including students and amateurs. Later they move up to Red ONE. ;)

tweakmanson
04-13-2008, 02:53 PM
huh? OCD much?

I really wish people stop using the term "motion capture camera" when it was clearly meant to be Motion Picture Camera. Lets stop mixing apples with oranges...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11183

On another note:

brandon thomas
04-13-2008, 02:53 PM
scarlet was never described as a "digital cinema" product to my knowledge..

i thought it was the "scarlet pocket professional digital cinema camera"... at least according to the front page of red.com..

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Scarlet is simply another part of Jim's master plan to get everyone shooting on Redcode RAW. It's going to allow people to shoot RAW on a much lower budget, including students and amateurs. Later they move up to Red ONE. ;)

Well, I'm an amateur and that's my plane, so you hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned

Oliver Koeppel
04-13-2008, 03:04 PM

Jims song for his masterplan:
(sorry Mr. Cohen)

1) They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
For trying to change the system from within
I'm coming now, I'm coming to reward them
First we take Las Vegas, then we take the world

2) I'm guided by a signal in the heavens
I'm guided by this birthmark on my skin
I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons

3) I'd really like to live beside you, baby
I love your body and your spirit and your clothes
But you see that line there moving through the station?
I told you, I told you, told you, I was one of those

4) Ah you loved me as a loser,
but now you're worried that I just might win
You know the way to stop me,
but you don't have the discipline
How many nights I prayed for this, to let my work begin

5) I don't like your fashion business, mister
And I don't like these drugs that keep you thin
I don't like what happened to my sister

I'd really like to live beside you, baby ...

6) And I thank you for those items that you sent me
The monkey and the plywood violin
I practiced every night, now I'm ready

I am guided ...

7) Ah remember me, I used to live for music
Remember me, I brought your groceries in
Well it's Father's Day and everybody's wounded

Joseph Hutson
04-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Kids will be kids...

And then at times, ADULTS will be kids too.

Joseph Hutson
04-13-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm four. :weight_lift:

That portrait looks like it is from the early 80's

sinoevil
04-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Under $10K?

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Under $10K?

Excuse me, but this thread is clearly here to discuss the ages of the people on this forum and then you come and start speculating? GOD! Just leave, no, no just leave!

Just kidding. I'm guessing around $4-6K (I Hope)

Jannard
04-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Less than $10K for sure..

Jim

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Less than $10K for sure..

Jim

WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

YEAH MAN!!!!

I LOVE YOU JIM!

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 10:51 PM
i'm watching you....

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Where Is Everybody?!?!?

John Caballero
04-13-2008, 10:54 PM
$9999.99

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Nooooooo! Jim. I Want More!!!!

John Caballero
04-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Everybody went to sleep early. Santa is coming in a Red suit.

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Everybody went to sleep early. Santa is coming in a Red suit.

lol...that's pretty funny, are you 16? (jokes, jokes)

John Caballero
04-13-2008, 10:59 PM
almost 3 times over kid. but i was once 16 and already a photographer, last century as a matter of fact!

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 11:01 PM
So when did you decide that you like pictures that move?

(I do a bit of still photography with my Dad's Canon EOS)

John Caballero
04-13-2008, 11:06 PM
I knew I was going to be a photographer when I was about 6 but started officially at 14. It was super 8film for low budget movies back then and I did some of that too. But I was difficult. It is not like today with the video cameras. Since then I have worked a lot in video at different times. I have an HVX200 at the moment.
You are lucky with the new technology. Make good use of it and work hard at it. You are in the right place at the right time, I hope Scarlet works out for you. Good luck.

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 11:27 PM
thanks man. (I knew I wanted to make movies when I was six)

:)

Ameer Azari
04-13-2008, 11:48 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkllM8znx4

Pivko
04-14-2008, 02:40 AM
OK, So I reckon I have the whole Scarlet thing figured!

First read my notes and then click the link at the bottom to what I think has to be a leaked prototype image I found on the web.

All of the below have been quoted as features of Scarlet - It all makes sense when you see the prototype shot!

1. Fits into your pocket - check!
2. "It'll look different than you imagined" - check!
3. It'll have a sensor - check!

Finally, and this has to be conclusive proof look at the guy in the image - aren't they Oakleys?

http://blog.makezine.com/alexeyetap.jpg

Cheers,

Simon.

Daymon Hoffman
04-14-2008, 02:53 AM
One thing that sucks about living in Australia. We have to wait nearly a whole extra DAY. *sigh* (its Monday night already as i type this).

PS. Under 10k. That might put me out. I was crossing fingers for under 2k. But oh well interesting none the less. :)

Emanuel A.
04-14-2008, 04:45 AM
$9999.99With so many people posting so silly thoughts pushing the price upstairs, that one was an oasis. Keep going.

Roberto B
04-14-2008, 05:03 AM

Hope that helps.

jimso a red one mini right?.. ehehehehe..