PDA

View Full Version : New Softpedia Article on RED Announcements

Essor
04-14-2008, 12:27 PM
What kind of drawbacks will the 5K resolution have, given the same sensor size?

Why is the RED RAY not a projector? Is one in the works?

And maybe a fixed lens for the SCARLET isn't that bad. But no rings whatsoever on the lens? And will the Scarlet be upgradeable?

I've tried to address the pros and cons of the announcements, and to see this in perspective.

And I've added a download link for the RED brochure, in case anyone still can't get it off RED.com . I hope that's ok with RED, if it's not, PM me so I can take it off.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/RED-S...ce-83363.shtml

P.S: $3K for the SCARLET? Crazy.

Essor
04-14-2008, 01:11 PM
"But why not bring support for 5K as well? The EPIC and the RAY should come out at the same time, so why not end the projection problems in one fell swoop? There might be upgrades, but from a public perception stand-point, this reduces the value of the 5K resolution. "

"Giving SCARLET focus, zoom and iris rings (which do not appear in the photos) or a faster lens, say – a f/1.8 or f/1.5 would give it significantly more professional value for digital cinema and therefore make it more competitive with the RED ONE itself. This is not likely to be within the company’s plans."

"With the EPIC rumored to cost between $30,000 and $40,000 for the body only, some extreme programming has to have gone into this camera to justify the price. So perhaps the real upgrade here will be in the sensor’s processing – the way it handles highlights (notoriously problematic in digital cinema) and color and motion. "

David Dennis
04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the RED RAY is just a disc player, not a projector. Does anyone else have more specific information? I was hoping for an affordable 4K (or at least 3K) projector.

Incidentally, it's pretty clear Scarlet has a fixed lens, non-interchangeable.

D

D

Essor
04-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Before NAB there were talks of a projector.

A 4K projector is a big deal. A 4k player, not so much. Especially since it's not going to exactly permeate the fabric of society like a product from one of the big manufacturers would.

Bob England
04-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Can't find anything in RED's NAB brouchure or on the website about a 4k projector or the 4k "end-to-end workflow" that was talked about.

Essor
04-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Time to change the article then.

But this is a serious disappointment.

On the other hand, if I had to guess, I would say a projector is a priority for RED and is probably already in the works.

Whichever company makes the first projector is probably going to play the codec war-game for fun and profits.

michael zaletel
04-15-2008, 01:27 AM
Look for a 4k display from Apple and expect to find out there was close collaboration with Red in its' development.

I think. :)

-shooter