PDA

View Full Version : Speculation: Red must sell out to Apple

gaoptimize
04-15-2008, 05:49 AM
If Scarlet is as big as I think it is going to be, I think Red will be faced with production and support scaling issues that would draw their attention away from what they are really good at. I suspect that the Red brand will be kept, and maybe they formalities will have Red as an Apple development partner, but ultimately we would all get our Scarlets much faster if a company with a large production and support logistics infrastructure took charge at some point.

Tony Lorentzen
04-15-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm sure RED will step up to the task with a new production-facility for the future products. I really don't think Jim will be selling anything to Apple. It is more likely that he will build a factory in Asia somewhere to build the cameras in the same way Zeiss has their ZF line built by Cosina in Japan.

Joe D'Arcy
04-15-2008, 06:09 AM
Red won't be selling out to anyone. Scarlet will be the Oakley sunglasses of the camera world and everyone will want to own a pair.

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-15-2008, 06:10 AM
You don't sell the dream.

Yannick Hagman
04-15-2008, 06:24 AM
If you ever had the "pleasure" with Apple's customer service you wouldn't say so. It's one of the worst around!

gaoptimize
04-15-2008, 06:41 AM
If you ever had the "pleasure" with Apple's customer service you wouldn't say so. It's one of the worst around!

That is the price you pay so that great minds and people can focus on development. Sure, you'd like to have the Red team as you've come to know and love answering the help desk phones and handling repair and returns for Scarlet. But for 10,000 maybe 100,0000 or more customers after a year or two in production? Get real. Welcome to the mass market world. You get a different level of support for $5,000 products than you do for $30,000 products. Sunglasses don't have this support tail.

Daniel Reichenbach
04-15-2008, 06:41 AM
If Scarlet is as big as I think it is going to be, I think Red will be faced with production and support scaling issues that would draw their attention away from what they are really good at. I suspect that the Red brand will be kept, and maybe they formalities will have Red as an Apple development partner, but ultimately we would all get our Scarlets much faster if a company with a large production and support logistics infrastructure took charge at some point.

Hehehe, try to buy an iphone, sold out! Is this the way to go for RED? Not at all, RED must be unique and they find a way to build a fast production chain. No doupt.

Daniel Reichenbach
04-15-2008, 06:43 AM
That is the price you pay so that great minds and people can focus on development. Sure, you'd like to have the Red team as you've come to know and love answering the help desk phones and handling repair and returns for Scarlet. But for 10,000 maybe 100,0000 or more customers after a year or two in production? Get real. Welcome to the mass market world. You get a different level of support for $5,000 products than you do for $30,000 products. Sunglasses don't have this support tail.

Wrong, buy an Oakley and you will learn a lot, how to support clients...

xshortx
04-15-2008, 06:51 AM
What i the affiliation between Red and Apple? I know they worked together on Software issues but what else? It seems a tenuous link!

John Godden
04-15-2008, 06:53 AM

Oh pleaaaaaaaaase!

Where do people come up with such silly ideas????????????????

Yannick Hagman
04-15-2008, 07:05 AM

Not necesserily. Apple has also it's manufacture partners in Asia. It's all outsourced and ironically built by the same companies who build products for Dell. I was always a little bit surprised about Apples customer service. Especially for relatively high priced products. Good products are great, but a good customer service is (what makes me love or hate a company in the end): cake.

Allbird
04-15-2008, 07:44 AM
no please!
may be apple have to learn about RED products.

RED= +++ performace / -- cash / ++ design / + compatibility
Apple= +++ design / - performance / ++ cash / -- compatibility

I don't want to see in the future the REDphone / REDtv / REDtoaster