PDA

View Full Version : Waste of time

JimmyC
04-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Why are people bothering to cover things like the Canon XLH1a the at NAB when Scarlet is here! Good Lord!

I really nope to see the back of HDV 'early 2009'.

Oh and fixed lens is fine by me... i certainly don't have the money to buy or rent any more lenses!

Good call Mr J.

Jim

John Caballero
04-15-2008, 07:44 AM
For goodness sake, only an unpainted mock-up of the Scarlet is at NAB. Wake up people and come back to reality. It is a year away. It is not here! In the meantime if you are a serious filmmaker you have to shoot with something that is already here and real, like a Canon, a Panasonic, or whatever. God!!!!!

JimmyC
04-15-2008, 07:54 AM
For goodness sake, only an unpainted mock-up of the Scarlet is at NAB. Wake up people and come back to reality. It is a year away. It is not here! In the meantime if you are a serious filmmaker you have to shoot with something that is already here and real, like a Canon, a Panasonic, or whatever. God!!!!!

I already do shot a canon thank you very much. And thanks for pointing out what qualifies a serious film maker.

I'm just looking forward to the day I can live without HDV and work in post with RAW. Early 2009 is just enough time for me to get the funds together... its really not that far away.

You seem to forget that the RED One was only a mock up a year ago too.

Jim

Steven-Marc C.
04-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Or rent a Red One... That way you'll know all about the RAW workflow once Scarlet arrives.

Pietro Impagliazzo
04-15-2008, 08:23 AM
I already do shot a canon thank you very much. And thanks for pointing out what qualifies a serious film maker.

I'm just looking forward to the day I can live without HDV and work in post with RAW. Early 2009 is just enough time for me to get the funds together... its really not that far away.

You seem to forget that the RED One was only a mock up a year ago too.

Jim

You and I are on the same boat.

Let's just wait now.

dieseljunkie
04-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Exactly.

How is your computer system? Everyone is going nuts over RAW but it it is not for the lazy people and also not for the poor people. The $3,000 is just the basic units. Add CF cards, handles, microphones, batteries to that and you will be going towards $5,000. Then add another $8,000 for a good editing system with plenty of storage (you WILL need to store that 100Mb/sec somewhere. HDV is only 25Mb/sec so go figure.

And also prepare to learn new programs, and when you have adjusted your RAW footage, you need to render it out so you can use your current NLE. I really cannot see this work for many people who only look at the $3,000 and forget everything else that needs to be considered. Unless other NLE's will support REDCODE raw and you can make the adjustments in there, I really cannot see this working for most people who come from like a HV-20.

wardovision
04-15-2008, 08:38 AM
you're right. only the people looking for a more expensive camera are thinking about those things. The rest of us are looking to burn Blu-Ray off 5 year old machines and Final Cut Express

CŁneyt Kaya
04-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Exactly.

How is your computer system? Everyone is going nuts over RAW but it it is not for the lazy people and also not for the poor people. The $3,000 is just the basic units. Add CF cards, handles, microphones, batteries to that and you will be going towards $5,000. Then add another $8,000 for a good editing system with plenty of storage (you WILL need to store that 100Mb/sec somewhere. HDV is only 25Mb/sec so go figure.

And also prepare to learn new programs, and when you have adjusted your RAW footage, you need to render it out so you can use your current NLE. I really cannot see this work for many people who only look at the $3,000 and forget everything else that needs to be considered. Unless other NLE's will support REDCODE raw and you can make the adjustments in there, I really cannot see this working for most people who come from like a HV-20.

hey you can use redcine redlalert and convert everything to ProRes.

kmikami
04-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I don't get the obsession some here have with $8-10k computer systems. Just render out some lower res proxies to edit in FCP. Why would you need to edit or grade 4k or even 2k in realtime for an indie production?

Steve White
04-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Everyone is going nuts over RAW but it it is not for the lazy people and also not for the poor people. The $3,000 is just the basic units. Add CF cards, handles, microphones, batteries to that and you will be going towards $5,000. Then add another $8,000 for a good editing system with plenty of storage (you WILL need to store that 100Mb/sec somewhere. HDV is only 25Mb/sec so go figure.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that this has always been the case. Back when DV was around, you still needed to buy an editing suite, lights, tripod, etc. etc. etc. to get a working kit. The price of the kit has always been proportional to the cost of the camera.

No one is delusional that $3k = working 3K camera + workflow + script + set + accessories. But by golly, if they aren't willing to spend $3k, there's no reason to even think about the rest.

Gunleik Groven
04-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I already have a ONE, need a small b-cam, selling my HVX...

Thus: Happy puppy.

Scarlet was made for me, I think...