PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Audio issues

Eric Santiago
04-21-2014, 09:04 AM
seem to be not working for me here.

there is audio from the HDMI video port right?

testing on AV systems.

Eric Santiago
04-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Update:

Works on a 22" Samsung and a Panny 720p (both built in speakers).

Just doesnt like my Sony AV receiver :P

Nick Fury
04-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Works from HDMI to my Ikan Md7 fine.

Thank you very much

Fury

Jeff Kilgroe
04-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Can you feed the Sony receiver with the audio-only HDMI output? Is the no audio issue the same with both the HDMI 1.4 output and the HD-only HDMI output?

Eric Santiago
04-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Can you feed the Sony receiver with the audio-only HDMI output? Is the no audio issue the same with both the HDMI 1.4 output and the HD-only HDMI output?

I havent tried the HDMI 1.4 (4K?).

Not sure if I can just feed it with audio.

My testing window is done, we wont be feeding this into an AV receiver anytime soon.

So I guess the only way to get audio for now is via HDMI HD only to a display with speaker options.

Eric Santiago
04-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Posted this:

Strange the PDF manual states HDMI 1.3 for HDTV but on the provided quick-start guide it states HDMI 1.4?

Is this why I cant use the HDTV port with my Sony AV reciever (old def HDMI 1.3).

Blair S. Paulsen
04-23-2014, 02:45 PM
The cable you have on hand, whatever market-speak it might have come with, is a potential failure point. Trying a different cable has to be the easiest trouble shooting move in the book.

I wouldn't rule out the active port issue, meaning that the RedRay might be trying to feed a different port or format than you are trying. Suggest unplugging everything and not powering up the RedRay until the display is connected and powered up.

BTW, is there a menu on the RedRay that allows manual switching of output parameters? Still learning my way around.

Managed to download the Dragon Reel, transfer it via USB stick to the RedRay and it played back flawlessly. Kudos to the RedTeam and everyone who contributed to the reel.

I have always kept my video and audio signal paths segregated so I don't own any audio switchers/pre-amps/mixers that accept HDMI. Can anyone suggest a low cost audio de-embedder for HDMI? I have an AJA io/HD box and a BM UltraStudio4K for this task, but what would rock is a small breakout box to pro audio formats (XLR x2, RCA x2, optical & coax 5.1 digital) that I can just hang on the back of the RedRay.

Cheers - #19

Paul Kalbach
04-23-2014, 03:41 PM
I have always kept my video and audio signal paths segregated so I don't own any audio switchers/pre-amps/mixers that accept HDMI. Can anyone suggest a low cost audio de-embedder for HDMI? I have an AJA io/HD box and a BM UltraStudio4K for this task, but what would rock is a small breakout box to pro audio formats (XLR x2, RCA x2, optical & coax 5.1 digital) that I can just hang on the back of the RedRay.

Cheers - #19
No XLR, but breaks out SPDIF and 2xRCA from HDMI:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Audio-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00AHS8LD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398292433&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+to+optical+audio+converter

Blair S. Paulsen
04-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks Paul, just ordered one.

Cheers - #19

Marc Wielage
04-23-2014, 06:52 PM
HDMI is very, very screwy with audio under some conditions, and that's with all sources -- Blu-ray, satellite tuners, cable boxes, you name it. HDCP copy protection is high on that list of potential causes. Do a Google search and you'll see there's hundreds of thousands of complaints from people experiencing audio problems with HDMI (mostly with consumer gear).

Let's face it: it's a flakey consumer connection. I agree with Paul: sometimes it's best to just break out the audio if you just need a quick monitoring check.

Jeff Kilgroe
11-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Resurrecting this old thread... After nearly drop-kicking a REDRAY Player down a hallway today. I have yet to find *ANY* AV Receiver that is compatible with the REDRAY player. The HDMI audio port seems to address this to some degree, but it's also not 100% reliable and there's no way to disable audio out of the other HDMI ports. To add to this, the player seems to have huge HDCP registration issues and it's brain-dead when it comes to EDID locking and mode assignment.

Some of these issues go away or are lessened to a significant degree if we just run 1080p out of the HD port. Trying to pass 4K from the REDRAY through a 4K AV Receiver is an exercise in futility.

As to Marc's comment above about HDMI being flakey, I have to dispute that. Very few devices these days have compatibility issues, even the cheap consumer stuff. I don't really want to dig at RED on this, but they should never have EOL'd the REDRAY player until they at least cleared up the HDMI connectivity issues. As it is, I find the player barely useable without significant effort in working around all its flaws. I still have no solution to use it with my Sony 4K projector other than routing it through a 4K HDMI matrix that replicates an EDID from a compatible [to the RedRay] Samsung HDMI 1.4 4K TV. It still exhibits intermittent drop-outs and requires separate audio through the AV receiver to make it run properly as the video has to bypass the AVR, regardless of which EDID info I feed the thing. It seems to be a combination of HDCP and audio problems.

Honestly, I'd just sell the REDRAY player and move on, but I think I would feel like a complete douchebag if I charged someone money and handed over this thing.

The REDRAY does run 100% reliably when connected directly to my Samsung F9000 4KTV. Unfortunately, it's become a problem there because this is the 2013 55" with the upgradeable OneConnect box. Well, I have to leave the HDMI 1.4 version of the OneConnect from last year connected. Moving to the HDMI 2.0 box breaks REDRAY compatibility unless I route through the HDMI matrix or an EDID box. However, routing through those introduces the intermittent blank-outs due to what appears to be the HDCP locking or handshake issues.