Instead of complaints, how about just giving suggestions

The RED TEAM has proven over and over

They have ears and eyes

Everything is subject to change

and change is subject to us

Positive feedback is the key

michael zaletel
04-15-2008, 06:54 PM
May not be possible to make it smaller but I would like to see them improve the form design to give it stronger prosumer appeal. Consider what Apple did with the iPhone, that's what Red needs to do with Scarlet. Sure it looks cool with the rails, matte box and etc. but I think it should look cool out of the box. Remember how cool the Canon XL1 was (and still is) when it first came out.

Adam Palomer
04-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Chief among these issues would be the ergonomics, then the LCD, audio etc.

I think RED should really try to make the Scarlet more palm friendly with rubber coating perhaps.

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/variogrip.jpg

http://www.handhelditems.com/img/1388/MT007C2.w304xh450.jpg

The LCD can be a flip out design and the real estate underneath the LCD can be used for push buttons

http://www.pdatoday.com/images/uploads/DXG-572VBackPhoto.jpg

Gabriel Winebrenner
04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
May not be possible to make it smaller but I would like to see them improve the form design to give it stronger prosumer appeal. Consider what Apple did with the iPhone, that's what Red needs to do with Scarlet. Sure it looks cool with the rails, matte box and etc. but I think it should look cool out of the box. Remember how cool the Canon XL1 was (and still is) when it first came out.

No offense but hell no. I don't want a plastic metro-sexual pleasing prosumer looking camera. I want what it looks like now, a mini-Red. It should not be a prosumer camera. We have plenty of those. The gear that RED sells for its' RED ONE and ELITE, should be interchangeable with the little scarlet. That's the problem with the Canon XL series. People seemed to think they "looked professional," but soon found out that they were not that professional..... except for the fact that you could change lens types. Colors are washed out and, seriously the dvx was much better at the time. Quality over quantity. This shouldn't be a fashion show. This is gear man!

Greg Syverson
04-15-2008, 08:09 PM
I had asked for something small and bullet proof. Run and gun in the wilderness. The wild animals I like to video dont care what the heck the camera looks like. I love the the fact it is all metal and solid looking. I dont mind having a fixed lens. Most of my situation do not allow me the time to set up anyways. Scarlet is a great back up camera and will get me into business again. You should see the way we abuse cameras here in Alaska. Dont take that dirty. It is just we dont care about looks. It is all about performance.

Gabriel Winebrenner
04-15-2008, 08:24 PM
I had asked for something small and bullet proof. Run and gun in the wilderness. The wild animals I like to video dont care what the heck the camera looks like. I love the the fact it is all metal and solid looking. I dont mind having a fixed lens. Most of my situation do not allow me the time to set up anyways. Scarlet is a great back up camera and will get me into business again. You should see the way we abuse cameras here in Alaska. Dont take that dirty. It is just we dont care about looks. It is all about performance.

I totally agree. No matter if your in the wilderness of the Alaskan sacred grounds or an urban jungle like NYC, the Scarlet should remain rugged and of all metal construction.

Greg Syverson
04-15-2008, 08:30 PM
When I first came to work on Monday morning I could not wait to see what RED TEAM was up to. The Web was not working, I could not find any information on NAB sites. I felt like Chrismas morning, getting out of bed and running to see what Santa brought.

When the REDUSER site came back up I was blown away. The RED team pulled a quick one. For the life of me I dont know how they kept everythings so quiet. I am happy and the announcements were a nice surprise.

Gabriel Winebrenner
04-15-2008, 09:22 PM
yeah, me too, It was like Christmas. I actually remember saying that exact line, "i feel like I'm a kid again and it's Christmas," when my daughter was questioning why I was staying up late and all anxious the night before NAB. When I got to work the next morning, the same thing was happening to me, REDUSER, was having trouble loading due I think to the amount of traffic visiting. I had to stop what I was doing several times to see if I could log back in. My coworkers looked upset. I didn't care though.

michael zaletel
04-15-2008, 10:09 PM
No offense but hell no. I don't want a plastic metro-sexual pleasing prosumer looking camera. I want what it looks like now, a mini-Red. It should not be a prosumer camera. We have plenty of those. The gear that RED sells for its' RED ONE and ELITE, should be interchangeable with the little scarlet. That's the problem with the Canon XL series. People seemed to think they "looked professional," but soon found out that they were not that professional..... except for the fact that you could change lens types. Colors are washed out and, seriously the dvx was much better at the time. Quality over quantity. This shouldn't be a fashion show. This is gear man!

Fair enough. No offense taken. I'm not suggesting FORM over FUNCTION by any means and only used the XL1 as an example of good form, certainly not function. However, the iPhone is both. That's what SCARLET must be. Believe me, we will all benefit if everyone wants one. Not only will it bring down cost over time but third party vendors will have sufficient incentive to mass produce add-ons. The iPhone has proven that gear can be sexy and make no mistake about it, the iPhone is a serious piece of gear.

-shooter