04-15-2008, 06:51 PM
How many people are actually interested in scarlet

Pietro Impagliazzo
04-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm interested.

David Dennis
04-15-2008, 08:41 PM
This reminds me a bit of iPhone.

When iPhone was announced, people said it was too expensive. They said it was confined to one carrier, and one carrier only. There was such a vocal crowd of people with criticism that you would have thought the iPhone was going to be a total flop.

I'll bet those same people who were saying iPhone was lousy were standing in line six months from then looking mightily foolish with their iPhones, which had somehow changed from junk to crucially needed item!

And another example, MacBook Air. Those who said the Air was a disaster, they would never buy one, went to the Apple Store and much to their shock walked out with, not the el cheapo $1,799 model but the $3,100 unit with the SSD option.

It's just possible that Steve and Jim know something we don't. They know what we'll buy, even if we gripe like crazy to them. I'll bet Jim knows perfectly well that many of those brave souls who said they would buy a $7k + $2k lens really couldn't quite stretch to it.

I have noticed that a lot of the people on the boards are saying "I know I'll buy Scarlet, but ...".

Jim can, of course, safely ignore these people. He's nice about it, but he knows they will buy Scarlet.

It's interesting to note that I expected Scarlet to be more like what the interchangeable lens advocates wanted, probably because I'd heard too many of them saying interchangeable lenses were a big deal. At first I thought Scarlet would have a fixed lens but after hearing too many pro-interchangeable lens people I thought it would not, but it would be way too expensive for me.

Instead, Jim made a camera that was pretty much tailor made for what I want - small and light, so I can take it on my travels, well made and rugged so I won't worry too much about it, and 3K so I can get stunning images from it, certainly better than any other camera I could afford and even most that I could not.

So really you should realize that anyone who wants a $3,500 Sony FX1 or a $3,999 Canon 3CCD HDV unit is going to be far better off with a RED. Neither of those cameras have interchangeable lenses. Not to mention that my arm is getting tired and so I can't deal with an enormously heavy camera anymore. Scarlet looks like it will be far lighter than its competition.

So, as if it wasn't obviously by now, you can tell that I'll buy Scarlet.

The only thing I hate is the wait. It's probably going to be mid to late 2009 by the time Jim's version of changing schedules and delivery dates has wound over to me. But to tell the truth, i am not terribly surprised and so I am not terribly disappointed. They seem to have just gotten the kinks out of manufacturing and shipping RED ONE, so I would not expect them to be introducing yet another project with yet another complex shipping schedule at this time. That would be madness.

You really have to admire the dedication of the RED Team. I'll bet it's an amazing place right now, doing amazing things.

D

redman
04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
ditto

Ameer Azari
04-16-2008, 12:51 AM
I Want A Scarlet¬¬!¬!¬¬!¬!

Dallas Zhen
04-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Thank you for bring all the best thing happen in my life.

RED is one of them.

Movie is my life, RED is way to get there.

Sergio Perez
04-16-2008, 02:46 AM
I couldn't afford a Red One. Scarlet, however, I can. I have 7000 USD reserved for the camera and extras. no questions asked.

Having worked with the HVX200 for 2 years now, shot a few shorts, commercials, mt's, etc. I feel ready to go to RED.

Will purchase it on day ONE, if i can. Will even go to the USA, if its needed. (But I sincerelly hope RED gives me a worldwide warranty! :) )

WesVasher
04-16-2008, 05:36 AM
I'll probably wait for rev B in true Apple and Red fashion. Let others work out the bugs for me. :)

Jose A. Garcia
04-16-2008, 05:39 AM
I'm definitely buying the Scarlet. On day one, right after SPZ.

oldphart
04-16-2008, 07:34 AM
How many people are actually interested in scarlet

Sure I'm interested - I'm annoyed that I will not get what I want, but it looks like a nice toy.

zecahue
04-16-2008, 08:30 AM
:angry03:
I want her now!!! :love:

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Yes. Even with current specs.

But,... well, you know. :)

And yes, I'm also ready to purchase Scarlet NOW. :)

Mark A. Beal
04-16-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm in for sure. Out of the box it's a nice compact cam with awesome specs. Pimp it out with a production pack and you've got something that'll impress friends and clients. I want one.

Mark A. Beal
04-16-2008, 08:38 AM
. . . now.

Jonathan Payne
04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
I could only dream about RED ONE but I can realistically raise the money to get a Scarlett! I can actually own one in reality....I will get one if it doesn't fail to impress or live up to the potential of the current specs.

dieseljunkie
04-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I think the options are a bit limited.

I am teased to buy the RED Scarlet but I do want to see sample footage and the final specifications before I can give a definite yes. I might also wait for a B revision, but that depends on how fast they can manufacture them. The risk is that you end up at the bottom of a long reservation list.

sparkhope
04-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I see a use for at least 2 scarlets asap.

Zak Forsman
04-16-2008, 11:27 AM
I haven't voted yet because there area number of specs that are still undefined -- OIS, style of focus ring, will audio be 48khz 16 bit, better? worse? will i have to dig thru a menu to set exposure? or will I have a manual ring for that? too many unknowns for me to commit yet.

if the remaining specs rock and I do decide to buy it, it will likely be for three.

10s
04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I truly appreciate the effort on Scarlet but the body/form looks like trouble. I'll have to pass. Although it might be worth buying to rip apart and rehouse.

I'm amazed at how difficult it is for a mfg. to make a simple box with a sensor, put a lens mount on it and a panel with the interface connections. Instead they come up with all sorts of weird gizmo stuff. Oh, wait, the simple box.... that's what Epic is. It's interesting how the PRO design of Epic is a simple box. If they'd just make Scarlet an inexpensive Epic style box, they'd save everyone the trouble of trying to make this Circuit City inspired design work for film making.

ColinSmith
04-16-2008, 11:55 AM
The only reason I'd not buy it was if the wide end of the zoom was not wide enough for me. I'm hopefully that will not be the case, and if reservation were open today I'd take the chance and be in.

Ravell
04-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm really hoping they change the design of the body (and I'd actually be surprised if they didn't) but heck yeah I'll be buying one. The camera is hideous and looks like it will be very unwieldy, but who cares? The specs and price are incredible. Can't wait to see more.

Vincent Rice
04-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I don't care what the unreleased specs are. A 3K RAW source at that pricepoint in that form factor is all that matters. I'll be buying as many as I can afford. I have several specific markets where this is a game-changer.

The nay-sayers are displaying a truly astonishing lack of imagination. Good.

jaadgy akanni
04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
At least 2 Scarlets for me. That's a promise!

kylegherman
04-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Scarlet just makes me want to sell my HVX right now.

jaadgy akanni
04-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Scarlet just makes me want to sell my HVX right now.
haha, I'm looking at my JVC HD200u and I'm thinking "get out of my sight!!!"

REDneck
04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
i want to see footage first. only film-like latitude and colours will sell me on it. and of course, that's what RED has proven they're great at so it's almost a given. but let's see some footage!

John Caballero
04-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Footage is on the way....six months from now....maybe...
Don't sell your cameras just yet, well if you want to take a year from shooting anything, then, go ahead, sell your cameras today!

Steve White
04-16-2008, 12:44 PM
The instant I have need of a new video camera, I will look at what's available.

Scarlet is in the price range that I would consider, and has all the features I desire in camera. If some other company were to develop a product similar in specification to Scarlet in the same price range, I'd consider them as well. I have no particular loyalty to Red other than that they make products with excellent specifications and it's fun to follow their engineering developments.

So far as announced products are concerned, Scarlet is in a bang-for-the-buck category all on its own and has absolutely no competition. There's nothing on the market or announced that I would even consider over Scarlet at this point in time.

liquidigital
04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Two for me along with the Red One.

Andrew Thomas
04-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I wasn't at all interested in owning a One (Or Epic) as shooting movies is just for my personal enjoyment. Scarlet falls right in line with the price level I'm comfortable paying to get a great cam for shooting shorts and home movies (My kid is 15 months, I shoot video all the time!).

Leo Versola
04-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm definitely in; make mine a double and I should even have enough left over for a side of fries and a coke! :tongue:

Ryan E. Walters
04-16-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm in, and looking forward to it. The only thing that disappoints me is that there is no interchangeable lenses I'd gladly pay $4k - $6k for the camera if it had a PL mount on it. I'd even settle for a Nikon mount.... Oh well, this is going to be a killer camera at the price point that is being talked about. And I'm sure it will be a killer in more then one way ;) .

redman
04-16-2008, 10:06 PM
I agree 100%. BTW your tests with the letus were great.

skarz
04-17-2008, 09:42 AM
skarlet...now...

Buck Forester
04-17-2008, 10:02 AM
I'd put a $5,000 deposit on a Scarlet right now. That way when it ships, I get my camera plus a couple grand. I like refunds.

HD Bubaloo
04-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I pretty much get to use every Sony, Panasonic, JVC, and Canon camera out there for free as part of my job. I used to have an Aaton XTR Prod, and a Moviecam Super America package. With that said, I do not own a camera now. I will buy scarlet however.

Joseph Hutson
04-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Just curious about the customer base

If you were SO curious, why didn't you make the votes public?

Joseph Hutson
04-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I see a use for at least 2 scarlets asap.

How about three? For me I say I will take three please? ...Right now! if possible. :-)

HD Bubaloo
04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
See I have already named mine and it doesn't even exist yet.

Jeff Kilgroe
04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Scarlet? OK, I think I'm in... Looks like my ideal camera for casual and some pro underwater work. The perfect camera for squeezing into tight spots and it's going to be a great crash-cam.

On the down-side, it's still going to be kinda big for any form of covert shooting or to pass off as something less than a professional camera. I'll be looking for ways to equip it with handles and necessary accessories to keep it looking as "non-pro" as I can.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the shape. The lens housing (tube) with a large brick below it, just doesn't seem that great. But then again, this gives proper spacing for mounting it on a bridge plate for support rods and use with a dovetail. I guess I was just expecing something shaped a bit more like an SLR camera. The fixed lens is not a surprise, I'm not sure what people are thinking when they want a Nikon or Canon mount on this camera. It's 2/3"... 35mm still glass makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

HD Bubaloo
04-17-2008, 11:53 AM
you see what I did? ha ha my Scarlet already has a name. Boy am I clever. Its Johansson. Wow am I a riot. Sorry for the lameness.

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I'd call mine: (Scarlet) Chevron.

:).

Wow, the poll results are pretty one-sided.

Can't say that I'm surprised.

Allan Stallard
04-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Every person I've talked to is planning on buying a Scarlet whether they need one or not! Seriously.

Joseph Hutson
04-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Every person I've talked to is planning on buying a Scarlet whether they need one or not! Seriously.

If they don't need theirs after using it, let me know.

GPSchnyder
04-17-2008, 01:51 PM
I'll get at least one. But three would be nice...

redman
04-17-2008, 02:57 PM
3 would be nice

killfilm
04-17-2008, 04:11 PM
i'll probably get my uncle from toronto to buy it and i'll send him the cash, easier for me

Joseph Hutson
04-17-2008, 04:30 PM
I'll get at least one.

Yea...one, probably 2 minimum.

Gabriel Winebrenner
04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
I just watched one of the interviews concerning the NAB 2008 Scarlet with Ted Shilowitz and I've changed my tune regarding the whole matter and I'm certainly for it as of now. I made a fuss concerning the fixed lens issue, but now am realizing that "a tricked out" Scarlet, as Ted says, will probably be fine. I also realized he was talking specifically to me, when he said he guarantees that a major movie will come to revelation using solely this camera alone. :) Let this be my apology to the RED TEAM. I think that within the coming weeks though, a pre-order should be set up. I also think that due to manufacturing constraints, each customer should be only able to reserve one camera each since supply will be so great, this goes for previous RED ONE owners as well. The extra funds, although minimal, will help speed up the finished product, although minimally, that much faster. Perhaps, a thousand down comparable to the down payment required for the RED ONE. But a total payment of 3 grand, subject to change depending on slight changes in costs, might be beneficial to making the production speed up even further. Very looking forward to early 2009 becoming a Jan. 1, 2009 date.

Joseph Hutson
04-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Very looking forward to early 2009 becoming a Jan. 1, 2009 date.

Don't get too excited...bet it will be NAB '09

David G. Smith
04-17-2008, 05:22 PM
For the near term, I am still going to make most of my video money shooting and posting SD projects and am only gradually upgrading to HD. Yet, I can not see passing up a camera like the Red Scarlet. I have 16mm capabilities and every "creative visual" project (Commercial, music video and the like) I pitch, includes a 16mm film break down and budget. Of course, in the modest sized market I am currently working, not a lot of clients opt for the 16mm option and I usually end up with my only other option, the low ball SD solution. Which, by the way, is actually more to my economic advantage. Because of the high fixed cost of 16mm production, I
end up making much less money then I do when I shoot SD video.

What I see the Red Scarlet doing for me is giving me that mid range production option for "creative visual" projects, between 16mm production and HD/SD video production. I hate to admit this, but I always start with the 16mm pitch and budget and hit it with a little hard sell. When they balk, I pull out the, "Well, let me tell you what I can do for you..." SD/HD pitch. With the Red Scarlet, I can see having an additional option to offer that I believe will offer excellent image quality, without exponentially higher fixed production cost, like 16mm film, thus offering more profit. This profit I hope to put into the films I want to make, with the Red Scarlet.

So yeah, count me in!!

What I have to worry about now, is, with the target price, how do I look my self in the mirror and still charge more money for projects shot on the Red Scarlet?…

… Ok, I am over that!!!

Radoslav Karapetkov
04-17-2008, 05:33 PM
the, "Well, let me tell you what I can do for you..." SD/HD pitch.

Lol..

dvazp
04-17-2008, 05:34 PM
What types of options are there in the poll? And more fawning for Jim? Give him a break, he's probably not gay and isn't interested in you.

This is how I would poll it if I were serious:
1. I intend to buy it on the information I have now.
2. I like the sound of it but need more info.
3. It doesn't sound like what I want but when they have a more advanced prototype I may reconsider.
4. Scar-what? Isn't that a film with Al Pacino?

In that case I would tick on number two.

redman
04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Great! I'm really glad dvazp likes the sound of scarlet, but needs more info.

RED-Tank
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
And I'd love to have 2 at least :D, Thank you RED TEAM!!

John Thompson
04-18-2008, 01:28 AM
I've been reading with mild amusement on the complaints about the fixed lens and the calculated and postulated difficulties obtaining a shallow depth of field and I can only conclude based on those arguments this is not the tool for those needs. Grab a Red One, put a prime on the front that gets you what you need, flood the set with light and go shoot. Or dig out your Arriflex. Use the right tool for the job.

Scarlet is another tool for our profession, not THE tool. I can think of a bunch of ways to use Scarlet, I'm thrilled at the prospect of shooting 3K with such a small form factor, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I hear and understand the desire for a Nikon mount, but the lack of one won't keep me from buying Scarlet.

josiahthiesen
04-18-2008, 04:12 AM
one for me

Joseph Hutson
04-18-2008, 07:41 AM
What types of options are there in the poll? And more fawning for Jim? Give him a break, he's probably not gay and isn't interested in you.

This is how I would poll it if I were serious:
1. I intend to buy it on the information I have now.
2. I like the sound of it but need more info.
3. It doesn't sound like what I want but when they have a more advanced prototype I may reconsider.
4. Scar-what? Isn't that a film with Al Pacino?

In that case I would tick on number two.

Why don't you start your own thread then?

dvazp
04-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Why don't you start your own thread then?

A number of reasons:
1. I don't know how to make polls.
2. Because nobody will read it as this one's already up.
3. Because someone else might have another totally different perspective and I don't want to push him/her into falling into a category he/she is not interested in.
4. I really do enjoy making fun of fawners :whistling:

Michael Booth
04-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm in, but please make us a camera with nice clean images - I'm so fed up with HVX image noise!

MichaelP
04-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Lots of productions will buy them for crash cams. Red One's are being used for that now!

Michael

Anthony Mann
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
The Scarlet is an ideal platform for small indy companies like ours. My hat is off to Red as they are the only company on the planet who are willing to change the status quo. It's about time the the small guy can show what he ( or she ) can do... once they have the quality of the big boys.... roll on Scarlet...

Christoffer Glans
05-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Red One's are being used for that now!

If one survive... may I have it? :)

sbcooler
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't mind the wait, just get the Scarlet right the first time out. I will buy one...if it works well, I may buy 3 or 4 additional ones for multi cam shoots.

I really, REALLY want to see a 64GB card...I need to get 1 hour of footage without changing cards...rock shows don't stop, neither do other live events I shoot.

It would be cool if they came out with the Scarlet as is when ready...and then shoulder mounted Scarlet with interchangeable lenses and call it Scarlet Plus. Same model Sony uses for it's EX-1 and now EX-3. Great for live events.

I like the 2/3" DOF and think if I could buy 4 Scarlets and then let's call it Scarlet Plus say for $10K, I would do that. That would be 5 total purchases for me from Red.

And one day, down the road, maybe an Epic, but I am not ready for the complexity with all that goes on for a true 35mm cam.