PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet Form factor?

Andreas Fernbrant
04-16-2008, 06:31 AM
I just want to start off by saying that this is not some kind of "bu-hu" post.
After I let the NAB release sink in most of this stuff makes sense to me.

Are there any advantage to scarlet having the current form factor?
It looks like a SONY handycam on steroids to me. And the ones I've used feel awkward and not very professional to shoot with.

Wouldn't a more epic like form factor but much smaller be effective in this case?

As a development note to RED:
I owned a XL1 a long time ago, the one thing I loved about it was the "push focus" button while in manual mode. I could autofocus with the push of a button and just keep it focused due to it being in manual mode.

WesVasher
04-16-2008, 06:42 AM
I think if Red believes that even soccer Moms (I would!) might use this camera then it might need to have some kind of handling surface built into the body. What was shown at NAB seemed to need bolt-ons to make handling it easier.

Also, on the HV20 you can hold it with one hand and use your thumb to start/stop recording and the same thumb accesses the menu/fuction and the joystick for changing settings. You need a second hand to adjust manual focus on the other side of the body.

For Gorilla shooting the closer it looks to a handycam the better and being able to adjust your settings with one hand is very convenient.

Andreas Fernbrant
04-16-2008, 06:45 AM
But then again, Soccer moms are not professional, The they stated from day one that this is a professional tool. I have a hard time seeing that the handy cam form factor is good for professional use. I'd love to hear their (and others) view on that.

WesVasher
04-16-2008, 06:55 AM
What I'm saying is when you want to steal shots, the more it looks like a hand cam the better. Just looking like a hand cam isn't going to make it any less professional of a tool.

dieseljunkie
04-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Soccer moms can't edit 3k. And there is no need to either.

Andreas Fernbrant
04-16-2008, 07:09 AM
In Sweden we really don't have the "have to steal" shots kind of thing.
When we shot the RED ONE on some train tracks the cops came within minutes just asked us what we where doing and said it was cool and left.

What I'm saying is that I find it odd and un-ergonomical to hold. (uncomfortable) I really like a top handle kind of camera and I would really love to see this more streamlined. This would also work better with the RED-GUN tool which now makes perfect sense!

I'm sure RED has a thought behind it's form factor. It would be nice to hear why they choose the handy cam design.

oldphart
04-16-2008, 07:23 AM

I'm sure RED has a thought behind it's form factor. It would be nice to hear why they choose the handy cam design.

Maybe the weight makes it feel right? It is difficult to judge how something feels just by looking at it. I like the feel of my rather antique Exacta, but it does not look very ergonomic.

WesVasher
04-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Who knows how far along they are on the design also.

Along the lines of stealing shots, when you have a very small unassuming looking camcorder, often times you can get more natural interviews. Something else to think about.

Andreas Fernbrant
04-16-2008, 07:41 AM
I agree, But we are talking about two different things here.
You are talking about the visual appearance the camera gives and I'm talking about the ergonomical touch, feel and work environment. How it looks visually is not that important to me. (But might be to others, what do I know) But how fast I can work with it, hand positions and things like that matter much more on a camera like this then, let's say on a RED ONE.

On the ONE its a "mounted" camera most of the time. If you need to hold it in any way there are handles and designed pads just for that. This is not the case with Scarlet, making it much more important to have a good base design that's ergonomical.

WesVasher
04-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I agree, But we are talking about two different things here.
You are talking about the visual appearance the camera gives and I'm talking about the ergonomical touch, feel and work environment. How it looks visually is not that important to me. (But might be to others, what do I know) But how fast I can work with it, hand positions and things like that matter much more on a camera like this then, let's say on a RED ONE.

On the ONE its a "mounted" camera most of the time. If you need to hold it in any way there are handles and designed pads just for that. This is not the case with Scarlet, making it much more important to have a good base design that's ergonomical.

I agree completely. The design of the controls is a big question also.

peter roehsler
04-16-2008, 07:56 AM
`a SONY handycam on steroids´
I like that phrase - it´s what I always wanted: unobtrusive handycam shaped and better than HD for doc work.
I think this is a great design and - as Sanjin has pointed out in another thread - it will go well with the steadicam merlin.
I am more than pleased with Scarlet.