PDA

View Full Version : encoding for REDRAY

Jonas Rejman
05-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Hello,

I have made the short film Seven Stars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58xB2b2VCHI) about the T'ai chi ch'uan Seven Stars Jian Swordform and I would like to make a RedRay version and make it available for download on this forum.

I wonder if someone with a REDRAY encoding capability would be willing to go trough the struggle of the mastering?
The master is a 4K ProRes 4444, 6x 48Khz 24bit audio 5.1 theatre mix.
Total size 38 GB.

I am based in London, if that would help.

Thank you for considering.

Clark Dunbar
05-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Jonas,

the last version of REDCine that supported REDRay encoding is:

The latest version of RCX that supports REDray is 20.2. Links below.

Mac Installer Package:
http://red.cachefly.net/redcinex/appcast/mac/rr/REDCINE-X_PRO_Build_20.2.pkg

Windows Installers:
http://red.cachefly.net/redcinex/appcast/win/rr/REDCINE-X_PRO_Build_20.2_32-bit.msi
http://red.cachefly.net/redcinex/appcast/win/rr/REDCINE-X_PRO_Build_20.2_64-bit.msi

When you get your RREncder (which you add online in the PLUGIN Tab) - the manuals are sent to you...just follow the instructions.

Jonas Rejman
05-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Clark, thank you very much for the download link.

My problem is, that I cannot buy the encoding plugin, it says "coming soon".
It seems impossible at the moment to have just the licence without a redray.

Terry VerHaar
05-26-2014, 10:53 AM
It seems impossible at the moment to have just the licence without a redray.

I believe that is correct.

Ivan McCullough
05-26-2014, 11:01 AM
I believe that is correct.

Dum a Dum dum dum

Terry VerHaar
05-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Dum a Dum dum dum

??? Should I be insulted? lol

Ivan McCullough
05-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Not you Terry.

So if I understand it correctly, REDRAY is a revolutionary 4K capable product relying on old tech (HDMI x 4). It can only play back 23.98 or 24 fps ignoring the majority of the world market and even then you can only create content for it if you own the hardware.

Seems dumb to me.

Terry VerHaar
05-27-2014, 07:01 AM
Not you Terry.

So if I understand it correctly, REDRAY is a revolutionary 4K capable product relying on old tech (HDMI x 4). It can only play back 23.98 or 24 fps ignoring the majority of the world market and even then you can only create content for it if you own the hardware.

Seems dumb to me.

Oh, gotcha. :smiley: Seems like RedRay is a bit of a product still in development; even more than most RED offerings.

Eric Santiago
06-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Finaly got my RREncode plugin to work here.
However Im crashing RCX during Export.
Tested on Mac Pro 2012 with and without ROCKET.

Frank Glencairn
06-19-2014, 01:35 AM
You can always encode it to Cineform and play it from any decent computer or laptop- even via SDI, displayport or HDMI, whatever you have/need.
Cineform is a similar wavelet codec as R3D, so I would say there will be no visible quality difference.

Eric Santiago
06-19-2014, 05:13 AM
Thanks Frank.
Ive been doing the DPX dance and damn those files are huge :P
Have to get to the bottom of this.
Shouldnt have to do three steps before final RREncode :P

David Kuhn
06-19-2014, 05:37 AM
I've also been doing the DPX export as an intermediate step... direct R3D->RED export appears to be broken. Even though the first couple times I tried it worked just fine, it's not worked once since (dozens of attempts, lots of settings gyrations, several reinstalls). Jonas if you can't find someone in Britain to encode your clip then I'd be willing to help you out.

Eric Santiago
06-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Will RREncode work out of RESOLVE one day?

Im curious about audio as well.

My tests from R3D > DPX > RREncode worked but with no grading whatsover, I got JPEG looking material in 4K.

David Kuhn
06-19-2014, 06:20 AM
My understanding is that you'll need RCX to do the encoding, I'd originally thought that was so RED could keep the player exclusive... but with DPX import that's clearly not the case so I'm not sure why. What WOULD be nice would be support for RREncode in the current spin of RCX (with GPU support), but it's not really clear how much RED is going to be willing to put into Redray since it's a bit of an orphan at this point. I'm not holding my breath for a lot of updates.