PDA

View Full Version : open source

oli
04-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi folks,

I am using ubuntu linux now for about a year and I only use windows for editing now.
There are some nice video editing softwares to come for Linux, like lumiera.org or jahshaka.org and blender is getting more and more a video editing software as well (blender.org) so in theory I will never have to use windows again but...

My question is, would it be legally possible for such an open source software to support the red or the red codec because the red codec is proprietary?
Is there hope that the red codec will be open sourced and that in the future a complete Red Linux work flow would be possible?

thanks
oli

Jeff Kilgroe
04-20-2008, 10:04 AM
There is an upcoming RED SDK and documentation for file formats. I'm guessing, but I expect to see this as soon as we have a stable Build 16 firmware release for the camera.

These tools will be freely available to all (according to a post made by Stuart English somewhere around here). So any such support will be in the hands of the developers and whether or not they choose to support RED.

oli
04-20-2008, 01:46 PM
That s good news!
Will this SDK also be released under an open source license like the GPL ?
That would be great news.

Oli

Greg Rutkowski
04-28-2008, 11:28 AM
I am familiar with Ubutu and just learned that they (Ubutu), release of "UbuntuStudio" it could be significant to Red. There is also Darwin the "public version" of OS-X, which seems on the surface to perhaps the most compliant of the other OS's with regard to Red...is there anyone using these systems and working with the work flow issues?
Anyone interested in collaboration in this area...hit me up be happy to expand Red into the open source community. Best way to make something acceptable is to make it available and usable.

Agustin Goya
11-10-2008, 03:59 AM
It would be great for red users to be able to to run redline on darwin machines, and maybe build a cluster controlled by qmaster.
A commandline only instalation for REDline would be great! Can this be done?
TIA agustin

Deanan
11-10-2008, 11:16 AM
It would be great for red users to be able to to run redline on darwin machines, and maybe build a cluster controlled by qmaster.
A commandline only instalation for REDline would be great! Can this be done?
TIA agustin

Just copy /usr/sbin/REDline. It's doesn't really need an installer.

Michael Tiemann
11-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Here's another vote for providing open source support to the fullest extent possible. I'm a Fedora user myself, but if RED provides something that works for Ubuntu, we can make it work for Fedora (and vice versa).

Agustin Goya
11-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Thatīs great news, Deanan!!!!!
And do you think it would work over Darwin?
Thanks for yout knowledge.
Agustin

Agustin Goya
11-12-2008, 11:32 AM

Hi Deanan! Could you tell me on which libraries are needed to REDline?
I've tried what you propposed but I get a Bad shared library error.

Thanks again
Agustin

Dj Joofa
11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Deanan! Could you tell me on which libraries are needed to REDline?
I've tried what you propposed but I get a Bad shared library error.

Thanks again
Agustin

On Mac platform issue the following command in a Terminal. Please note the cap "L", a small "l" will show something else. This is similar to Unix/Linux ldd command. (Additionally, there is a separate, but very useful command, whch can even change the default linkage of the libraries on the Mac platform for an executable. That command is very handy, if you want the change the executable to load different libraries, different from those against which it was linked with. I don't know if there is an equivalent of that on Unix/Linux.)

otool -L executable_name

it will list all libraries it needs.

E.g.:

otool -L /usr/local/bin/jpegtoexr

/usr/local/bin/jpegtoexr:
/usr/local/lib/libIlmImf.2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.2.0)
/usr/local/lib/libImath.2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.2.0)
/usr/local/lib/libHalf.2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.2.0)
/usr/local/lib/libIex.2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.2.0)
/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
/usr/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib (compatibility version 63.0.0, current version 63.0.0)
/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.3.0)
/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.1.5)

Agustin Goya
11-12-2008, 12:43 PM
thanks Joofa!!! will test it toomorow.Hope I can compile all libraries for Darwin!