PDA

View Full Version : Trying out Dragon with Canon FD lenses.

Per von Koch
07-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Hello.

Thought I'd post a really quick film I did this afternoon.

I just got the Dragon and couldn't wait to test the FD mount (eBay) together with some old vintage Canon lenses (20mm, 35mm, 85mm and 200mm)

The 200 isn't super sharp but I didn't really had the time to find the best place by the lake for it as I only brought 2 Red Volts :(

I didn't do any proper grading, just a bit of contrast and color. Also Red Gamma 4 and DragonColor.

https://vimeo.com/101757731

https://vimeo.com/101757731

* Did a color fix and replaced the video with a one that is not so purple tinted :)

Will Keir
07-25-2014, 03:36 PM
I'd say the lenses look good. Beautiful family you have there and nice selections shooting/editing.

What did you use to stabilize your rig? Should mount? Did you shoot high FPS or just slow down in post?

Per von Koch
07-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Thank you Will.

No that was completely handheld shooting 120 fps in 5KWS and 75 fps in 6KWS.

Will Keir
07-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Which did you like more having both worked in camera shooting and editing in post?

Thank you Will.

No that was completely handheld shooting 120 fps in 5KWS and 75 fps in 6KWS.

Jan Reiff
07-25-2014, 03:57 PM
great
advertising agencies for family products pay 150 000 + for this shots at some filmcompanies heh heh ;-)

Clint Lealos
07-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Love it! I too enjoy the look of the FD series. Seeing them on Dragon makes me smile :) Thanks for sharing those beautiful images.

Nick Morrison
07-25-2014, 05:07 PM
I agree with Clint. Seeing these shots makes me smile. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Brad Allen
07-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Loved these shots also - thanks for sharing :)

Russ Fill
07-25-2014, 06:47 PM
On location and my family just went back home from a little vacation with dad, so Im back at work. Thanks for sharing you family and enjoy the Dragon FD combo. Looks like it works just wonderfully.

Gavin Greenwalt
07-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Just been playing with my FD lenses this week too. What mount did you use? Did you use an FD -> EOS mount? Did it really kill sharpness? I've been playing with the half-off BMPCC and the FD adapter doesn't require any optics to soften the image.

Clint Lealos
07-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Gavin, I was lucky enough to pick up the Optitek FD mount a couple years ago, but I don't know if he is still offering that mount. As far as I can tell the one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-FL-lens-to-Red-Epic-Scarlet-camera-mount-adapter-/261125350457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccc48a439 is the same or very similar design. Its super basic and there are no optics involved, so you get nothing but FD awesomeness :) I've also purchased several other lens adapters from that particular ebay seller with nothing but good things to say. If you have a lot of FD lenses or you want to put a set together, this mount is a no brainer for $500. Good luck!

Gerald Menclik
07-26-2014, 01:55 AM
you can have your FDs converted permanently to EF at lensdoctor ..... mine are (including a 150-300, 4.5)

Craig Lees
07-26-2014, 02:12 AM
Lovely! Are these the SSC FD lenses? I've got the Ebay FD mount for my scarlet but I find the iris locks and inhaveri fiddle with it for 5mins before I can pull the iris ring.
lovely stuff.

Craig Lees
SX UK
www.3dstories.co.uk
craig@3dstories.co.uk

Alexandros Tsoupras
07-26-2014, 03:07 AM
Wow!!! Thanks for sharing.

Peter Majtan
07-26-2014, 03:13 AM
Love it! I too enjoy the look of the FD series. Seeing them on Dragon makes me smile :) Thanks for sharing those beautiful images.

+1 ;o)
Old meets new! Love the look and the flares are killer! Love it...

:sifone: Peter

Per von Koch
07-26-2014, 05:57 AM
Lovely! Are these the SSC FD lenses? I've got the Ebay FD mount for my scarlet but I find the iris locks and inhaveri fiddle with it for 5mins before I can pull the iris ring.
lovely stuff.

Craig Lees
SX UK
www.3dstories.co.uk (http://www.3dstories.co.uk)
craig@3dstories.co.uk

Thank you Craig :) I don't know really, I think they are. Can check when I get back but I don't have any problem with locking em on.

Per von Koch
07-26-2014, 06:03 AM
Which did you like more having both worked in camera shooting and editing in post?

You mean to stabilize in post? Well as long as it doesn't show in the final output it's not difficult stabilizing it. On the other hand I'm waiting for the Ronin so I would say in camera. Haven't stabbed all that much when flying drones either. But we fly some pretty heavy machines though...

Brian Boyer
07-26-2014, 06:06 AM
I hate to be the wet blanket here but these lenses look cold to me. Maybe I just don't like them for the subject matter, which is making me want to see warmer (but not overly so) images. Of course, they could always be graded in that direction, but that would defeat the purpose of using these lenses.

I realize it was a test but I'm not having the same reaction to the outcome as the rest of you. I think I would pass on these lenses for a shoot like this. They have a nice vintage feel but something's just not quite right.

The shots are very nice but the color characteristics of the people seem off to me, especially in the shade. Everyone looks a little unhealthy unless there's sun shining on their skin to help balance things out, IMO.

Things seem pushed towards the magenta/blue side of the color wheel - which is kinda an MX-like trait. In the shot of the girl in the hammock, the girl, her clothes and the hammock all have the same magenta/blue tint. The same goes for the guy putting things on the grill near the end of the video. It's too homogenous for my tastes.

Is this look typical of the FD lenses?

Nick Morrison
07-26-2014, 02:28 PM
+1 ;o)
Old meets new! Love the look and the flares are killer! Love it...

:sifone: Peter

Totally agree. The flares are lovely...

Per von Koch
07-26-2014, 02:59 PM
I hate to be the wet blanket here but these lenses look cold to me. Maybe I just don't like them for the subject matter, which is making me want to see warmer (but not overly so) images. Of course, they could always be graded in that direction, but that would defeat the purpose of using these lenses.

I realize it was a test but I'm not having the same reaction to the outcome as the rest of you. I think I would pass on these lenses for a shoot like this. They have a nice vintage feel but something's just not quite right.

The shots are very nice but the color characteristics of the people seem off to me, especially in the shade. Everyone looks a little unhealthy unless there's sun shining on their skin to help balance things out, IMO.

Things seem pushed towards the magenta/blue side of the color wheel - which is kinda an MX-like trait. In the shot of the girl in the hammock, the girl, her clothes and the hammock all have the same magenta/blue tint. The same goes for the guy putting things on the grill near the end of the video. It's too homogenous for my tastes.

Is this look typical of the FD lenses?

Interesting points Brian and thanks for sharing those :)
I also want to point out that the camera had put itself to -20 tint and I didn't correct that in post. But yeah, I get what you're saying regarding the shadow shots. Although I'm just loving the vintage look and the 85 and 20mm are so freakishly sharp and I also love that the focus pulling is much stiffer than on regular canon lenses. I got the Red Prime set too and have been building my body around those (crooked back and larger biceps), but now I'm totally in FD heaven.

Gavin Greenwalt
07-27-2014, 02:28 AM
Gavin, I was lucky enough to pick up the Optitek FD mount a couple years ago, but I don't know if he is still offering that mount. As far as I can tell the one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-FL-lens-to-Red-Epic-Scarlet-camera-mount-adapter-/261125350457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccc48a439 is the same or very similar design. Its super basic and there are no optics involved, so you get nothing but FD awesomeness :) I've also purchased several other lens adapters from that particular ebay seller with nothing but good things to say. If you have a lot of FD lenses or you want to put a set together, this mount is a no brainer for $500. Good luck!

Nice piece of kit. But I just picked my MFT to FD adapter for $12 and was hoping for something more within that price range haha. There are some dumb optical-less adapters between FD and EF on Amazon for about that but apparently Infinity focus is a bit off. Which is also OK by me as long as it's able to reach infinity. I guess I'll have to be the Super-Cheapo-Guinea pig.

NOSA OBAYIUWANA
07-27-2014, 02:33 AM
Nice. Really like the look

Joachim Hoge
07-27-2014, 02:52 AM
I just got a 28-85mm FD from the Lensdoctor. I only tested it on my C300 as the Epic was away. I was happily surprised with the look and handling. I'm going to use it on a children's TV series this autumn, as pulling focus on modern lenses is driving my crazy and there is no budget for a cine zoom. I will get a tele zoom and a cople of primes as well.

Per von Koch
07-27-2014, 12:33 PM
* Did a color fix and replaced the video with a one that is not so purple tinted :)

James_Mills
07-27-2014, 02:48 PM
The Dragon's image is so damn beautiful that I'm fairly positive you could have stated these images were shot with Super Speed mkii's (hell, maybe even Masters) and I doubt anyone would have called BS

Brian Boyer
07-27-2014, 02:55 PM

Much better, if maybe a tiny bit too green in a few shots now (I know, I'm hard to please).

Clint Lealos
07-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Nice piece of kit. But I just picked my MFT to FD adapter for $12 and was hoping for something more within that price range haha. There are some dumb optical-less adapters between FD and EF on Amazon for about that but apparently Infinity focus is a bit off. Which is also OK by me as long as it's able to reach infinity. I guess I'll have to be the Super-Cheapo-Guinea pig.

It won't reach infinity with that adapter. Hence the optical versions of the same adapter. Replacing the mount is the only to get infinity focus without using an optical element in the adapter, which is less than desirable. It does seem crazy that the mount costs more than most FD lenses, but I guess that's supply and demand :)

Timur Civan
07-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Ugh, used to have a complete set.of FD lenses. 17-200 all ssc or Early L series.... Stupidly sold them to buy a 5Dmkii..... They look awesome.

Adam Whitehouse
09-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Thanks for posting this. I have my own set of Cine-Modded Canon FDs & wondered how they'd look on the Dragon sensor.

I can't say i'd really be comfortable using them for any paid work, based on this. I'm really curious to see whatever other footage you have of your Canon FDs on the RED. There seems to be a scarcity of RED FD footage online.

And I find it funny that you mention about the 20mm being sharp, because I actually find it to be the softest of the bunch, and has caused me problems in the past, with unusable footage on wide shots.

Carlos Castillo
09-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Very Nice!! Love the look.
Thank you for sharing.

Akin A
09-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Looks really nice! I like the colors in the skin.
What frame rates were used? In particular, the alligator shot at 0:53

Roy Rossovich
09-08-2014, 02:15 PM
haha, i was going to say, that looks so swedish. and then it turns out it was :)

bjonsson
09-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Looks so Swedish? Funny, I thought the same thing! Ive got 4 of those Swedish kids running around - so it looked like a familiar scene.

My 2 cents:

I think FDs are unsung heroes. Digital sensors are so crisp, and everyone seems to be chasing "clean" , "soul-less"," sharp and contrasty" lenses.

Try softer lenses on these digital sensors, and you will have people asking "how do you do what you do?" Cinematography is emotion, and often the sharp and clean lenses lack that.

I have a bunch of FD's and this post has inspired me to get them out.

Look at their facts:

full frame.

Readily available and not too expensive

Proper focus direction

Expanded focus range

declickable (I think most can be )

lightweight

small

Solid construction

"vintage look"

and some are even radioactive, so you have that too!!

Im all for them for the right jobs.

Can anyone recommend a declicking firm?

Thanks,

Bengt Jonsson
LA

Werner Jauch
10-27-2018, 06:17 PM
Here is a short clip including Canon FD(new version) 50mm F1.4 and 24mm F2.0. This was from a local parody contest. Scarlet Dragon 5k, 2 LED lights, slight S curve and a little sharpening applied in Magix Vegas. Rendered and uploaded to youtube in 4K, but for some reason all I can see is 1080HD. The 50mm I bought new with a Canon AE-1 camera over 35 years ago, the 24mm was a more recent eBay purchase.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=229PE1rFTpU&feature=youtu.be

sergio arguello
10-31-2018, 11:34 AM
Inherently cooler look on the FD's and that and other things is what sets them apart from the K35s that have a warmer feeling. when I get time I will do a side by side...