PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to old OLPF option ...

Jan Reiff
07-28-2014, 12:02 PM
got the mail for my 2nd Epic right now

what would you do ?

there are options

1. send in now for new OLPF - that would mean i have 2 Dragons with 2x new OLPF
2. send in for old OLPF - that would mean i have both and do not have to replace OLPFs when i want to ... >> when i want the old OLPF, i will get the calibration for the old one, but actually no firmware will support this old one right ?
3. waiting some weeks ? the question is, will RED offer the modular OLPF in some weeks as an "already built in" - ? or doesnīt it matter to send in now or later ?

maybe some of RED have some infos here.

thx

Jan

Bohdan Klos
07-28-2014, 01:45 PM
I would keep both the same. So 2 new OLPF.

We are waiting to order when there is an OLPF that sits between the old and new. I think Red will make this midway OLPF, and (if they had a time machine) I get the feeling they would go back and have used on the Dragons release day.

Elsie N
07-28-2014, 01:49 PM
I would keep both the same. So 2 new OLPF.

We are waiting to order when there is an OLPF that sits between the old and new. I think Red will make this midway OLPF, and (if they had a time machine) I get the feeling they would go back and have used on the Dragons release day.

I agree. If you ever want to match footage, the new color science will stand out if they are mismatched.

David Battistella
07-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Jan,

I say go with the New and keep them matched.

In a few months when there are more OLPF options just order what ever other ones are available as matched sets.

My sense is that you might let your curiosity get the best of you and order the old, :) it's tempting, but given the choice I'd order NEW all the way. Plus, you and I already know how great DEB is.

Battistella

Jan Reiff
07-28-2014, 02:19 PM
yes, think you are right. i think itīs tempting caused by curiosity, otherwise i know the footage of the old OLPF and still can compare as i have all the r3d here

only question now is whether the modular box will be already be placed into the camera in some weeks or in new Dragons ?

Stacey Spears
07-28-2014, 02:22 PM
I had the original OLPF and prefer the current OLPF.

David Battistella
07-28-2014, 02:31 PM
yes, think you are right. i think itīs tempting caused by curiosity, otherwise i know the footage of the old OLPF and still can compare as i have all the r3d here

only question now is whether the modular box will be already be placed into the camera in some weeks or in new Dragons ?

from what I have seen you are posting lovely low light images with the new OLPF, so if it comes down to the quality of your work, you are already accomplishing that on the new OLPF. It's better, in many ways. Just in terms of horrible red flares for one. I'm so happy with the dragon when I don't see any of that weird ugly red stuff going on with light sources in the frame. :)

maybe be you'll have one of the first prototypes.

Ahem,...I'd put my hand up for that. :). Phil has been pretty quiet for a few days, he must be at RED already testing it. :)

battistella

Will Keir
07-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Really doubt that.

I agree. If you ever want to match footage, the new color science will stand out if they are mismatched.

Elsie N
07-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Really doubt that.
Maybe not, but I just matched footage from my two yesterday and you can't tell one from the other. Oh, and they BOTH stand out. '-)

Forgot to mention, the client was happy with the footage left just as it came from the camera.