PDA

View Full Version : GPUs for 6k

Mark Kern
07-30-2014, 09:18 AM
How well does GPU acceleration work in Redcine? How well does say, an nVidia Titan work vs something like a nvidia 760? (Invokes summoning ritual for Phil...)

Phil Holland
07-30-2014, 10:14 AM
*poof*

Hi Mark,

So the cool thing for me is that GPU acceleration has changed everything in regards to the Red workflow. My laptop, my freaking laptop, with a smaller nVidia GPU inside benefits from it. I have Titans here in my big boxes and the core reason I'm using them is more for their on board RAM as several application benefit from that. For instance you can run DaVinci Resolve with a single GPU and work on 6k material. Also more RAM in GPU is beneficial to other applications or using several applications at once. And some of these bad boys are real RAM hungry if you are dealing with images.

I haven't tested speeds with lots and lots of GPUs, but I have looked at maybe a dozen nVidia and ATI GPUs. You will see gains obviously the better the GPU. That's the short answer. Multiple GPU setups have their pros and cons as well.

What I have tested extensively is the speed you get from Redcine-X Pro using OpenCL or CUDA and at the moment OpenCL is what you want to have selected as it generally speaking provides better performance.

Mark Kern
07-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Good to see ya, Phil. :)

Are you using these in addition to a rocket? Trying to avoid buying a new Rocket by seeing if working with GPUs is "good nuff" for me.

Good to know about the RAM.

Phil Holland
07-30-2014, 10:38 AM
I currently don't own a Rocket-X. There's certainly real speed benefits from having one, but GPU acceleration has entirely changed they way I and other looked at the .R3D workflow. It's faster now. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also, to note. Adobe CC 2014 update has added GPU acceleration into Premiere Pro CC and Adobe Media Encoder CC. That's also good news :)

Michael Lindsay
07-30-2014, 10:40 AM
We have a HP worstation with both a Quadra (GUI GPU) and a Titan Black (processing GPU) and it is pretty slick with finishing Red materaial in Resolve.... If i put in more GPUs i'd also need more CPU cores (this seems specific to R3d work)..

that said for editorial production we use RRXs.

Mark Kern
07-30-2014, 10:43 AM
If OpenCL is faster than CUDA, then do Radeons make more sense than nVidia? Does Redcine benefit from single or double precision? Radeon much faster on single precision.

Phil Holland
07-30-2014, 10:45 AM
If OpenCL is faster than CUDA, then do Radeons make more sense than nVidia? Does Redcine benefit from single or double precision? Radeon much faster on single precision.

I've asked myself this question. The answer is "potentially" in reality. Depends on the GPU. However, I will say there are other applications that benefit from CUDA still and ATI cards don't have that. nVidia gives you the option to have both. If you don't find yourself using much outside of Redcine-X Pro and a few other OpenCL supported applications you'll be very happy with an ATI card.

David Kellermann
07-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Is there any use of double precision (in Resolve)? Otherwise a Titan would not make any sense compared to a GTX780 Ti...

Mark Kern
07-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Curious too. Just e-mailed Davinci support. Will post answer here.

Alan Gordon
07-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Is there any use of double precision (in Resolve)? Otherwise a Titan would not make any sense compared to a GTX780 Ti...

3GB RAM VS 6GB RAM. My dual Titan Blacks have run out of Ram when doing 4k Timelines and heavy noise reduction.

Björn Benckert
07-30-2014, 02:15 PM

The GTX780 kicks as for the money. To me thats enough. Some things needs playback and when rendering with a lot of composting nodes and so on the graphics card is just one bit of the puzzle and other things will clog up as well so ofcourse the more ram etc the better but the GTX780 leaves me very little to complain about... When having it you might start to think of getting faster drives to keep up with the card...

Mark Kern
07-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Still trying to get an answer on single point vs double precision on Resolve or even RedCine-X. This also ties into if AMD or nVidia is going to give higher performance under OpenCL.

I just might have to try it myself. I have a Titan Black, a 760 with 3GB of RAM and I could grab a Radeon 290x (or the double version).

Meanwhile still waiting to hear back from Resolve support.

Alan Gordon
07-31-2014, 01:26 PM
Resolve, (I am 90 percent certain on this) does not use double precision.

If you grab the 290x I would be curious to hear the differences between the Titan Black.

I picked up two titan blacks when there were reports of the 290x being quite hot, and my machine is quite a space heater as is.

David Kellermann
08-01-2014, 03:01 AM
3GB RAM VS 6GB RAM. My dual Titan Blacks have run out of Ram when doing 4k Timelines and heavy noise reduction.

I'm getting this Fall / Winter a new PC, but getting a non-standard gaming GPU sounds like the best option right now... something like the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB SC w/ EVGA ACX Cooler (http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06g-p4-3787-kr)

It's cheap, fast and offers 6GB RAM.

Andrew Usher
08-01-2014, 03:14 AM
Bee reading this thread with interest. Ive decided in the next week or so to build a Hackintosh, for when we get our Dragon. We have our RRX.

Alan Gordon
08-01-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm getting this Fall / Winter a new PC, but getting a non-standard gaming GPU sounds like the best option right now... something like the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB SC w/ EVGA ACX Cooler (http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06g-p4-3787-kr)

It's cheap, fast and offers 6GB RAM.

Certainly a solid option. Doesn't have quite the number of CUDA cores as the Titan Black or GTX 780 Ti, but it will still be quite good.

What amazes me is that even with two titan blacks 4k is still VERY stressing on the system. Basic grades will run 24fps just fine, but start adding a couple of qualifiers, power windows, etc... and all of a sudden I'm down to 16 fps.

And that's with a RR-X doing the heavy lifting on the R3D decode...

STILL NEED MORE POWER.

EDIT:

I'm doing a render now that the client wanted to render out at 6k so they could do some major push-ins in after effects. The grade is so heavy with 22 layers including an instance of neat video that from 6k to 5k, it just simply wouldn't render.

6k it told me I was out of GPU RAM. 5k it tried rendering about 10 frames and then I just got 0 fps for 10 minutes. 4k it's now rendering out at 1.5fps.

Reminder: this is RR-X, Dual Titan Black, 16 cores @2.6 Ghz.

Paul Russell
08-01-2014, 11:47 PM
All four of my Titans run out of RAM doing 4K Timelines and noise reduction. I don't think Resolve addresses any more RAM than is on one card.

Alan Gordon
08-02-2014, 01:20 AM
All four of my Titans run out of RAM doing 4K Timelines and noise reduction. I don't think Resolve addresses any more RAM than is on one card.

Correct. Generally the amount of RAM used on a multi GPU system is equal on all cards. because it needs to load the frames into the RAM on all cards because the compute is distributed amongst the cards, but they all need to have the same data in their memory.

This 6k stuff is making me yearn for whatever the next Titan is with 12 GB RAM...

Out of curiosity, do you use neat video for noise reduction? If so, what sort of playback speeds to do you get on a 1080 timeline? 4k?

Cheers,
-Alan

Adam Montville
08-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Personally, the new generation, and architecture (Maxwell) is being released in late Sept / early Oct, and I would wait for that. Aka, GTX 880 etc.

Early leaked benchmarks are putting it at least 35% faster than 780, and rumor is that it will be released at $499, so cheaper than the current line.

Paul Russell
08-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Out of curiosity, do you use neat video for noise reduction? If so, what sort of playback speeds to do you get on a 1080 timeline? 4k?
-AlanPlayback speeds with NV, even at 1080p, are appalling.
On a 4K timeline, forget it.

Alan Gordon
08-03-2014, 12:36 AM
Playback speeds with NV, even at 1080p, are appalling.
On a 4K timeline, forget it.

With both titans and 8 CPUs active I get about 10fps with neat video. Certainly not realtime, but with it in the 1st or 2nd node, and caching, I find it more than useable in 1080p.

Mark Kern
08-03-2014, 11:12 PM
So I have a 290x here and a Titan Black. Any suggestions on how to test GPU performance in Red Cine-X Pro and Resolve to compare the two fairly?

Phil Holland
08-03-2014, 11:29 PM
So I have a 290x here and a Titan Black. Any suggestions on how to test GPU performance in Red Cine-X Pro and Resolve to compare the two fairly?

One thought is exporting two proRes 4444 clips at 2K and 4K through both applications and checking the render times. In terms of realtime playback that's fairly simple to test.

Alan Gordon
08-03-2014, 11:44 PM
One thought is exporting two proRes 4444 clips at 2K and 4K through both applications and checking the render times. In terms of realtime playback that's fairly simple to test.

I'm pretty sure 4k export is limited by Quicktime. I can play back full res and get faster than real time full debayer 1080 exports, but 4k to prores is less than realtime. Unfortunately I don't have a fast enough RAID array to test the theory with uncompressed dpx/tiff/exr files.