PDA

View Full Version : FENCES - ARROWS (feat. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis) OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO shot with Dragon

Ergin Ozturk
08-13-2014, 02:20 AM
i read this in CML and i would like to share it. Beautiful and very professional color grading. well done Dragon!

Here is the notes of Mathhew Clark (Director /DP)

In a thread I started on June 20th, I wondered out loud about where the Red Dragon likes to be rated. I received lots of good feedback and an interesting discussion came up. Thank you for all that responded and helped animate the discussion. The original question was basically: Where are you rating your Dragon for green screen & VFX kind of work to take advantage of the most dynamic range while not inducing extra noise? The fear is if we rate too high, it'll be noisy, and the other concern is if we rate too low, G&E will get worked trying to reach a bigger stop with more light. I'm curious what the collective wisdom suggests.

Well, the project was just released and you can see the results here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6fmk27grc

We shot 4 & 5k as planned and rated the Epic Dragon at mainly 320 with some 500 here and there. To achieve stops of anywhere from T2 - T4, we needed a fair amount of light. (I don't have the FC from the gaffer to relate to you, but it was a bunch). We worked mainly tungsten, but used daylight for the underwater scenes and tiger insert (real tiger). Luckily we could afford pre-rigging days to deal with the bigger scenes. Working mostly with Ultra Primes, lensing was mainly wider to long-ish lenses 21, 25, 32, 40 & 50. We had an 18-80 Alura zoom as well mainly residing on the B camera in crane mode.

Things seemed to work out alright. The image looked good and was good platform for the VFX team.

Thanks again for your input, everyone. Always nice to see something after a discussion ensues.

Matthew Clark
Director/DP (and don't tell anybody, but a producer)
Seattle, WA
www.str8films.com

Nick Morrison
08-13-2014, 07:45 AM
WOW. Some of the best looking Dragon footage I've ever seen. GORGEOUS VIDEO!!!

Here's the video embedded for all to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6fmk27grc

Bob Gundu
08-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Great stuff. It got pretty Wes Anderson towards the end!

Rick Augustus
08-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Nice video..