PDA

View Full Version : Dragon and Post Production - Are we there yet?

Ben Roper
08-17-2014, 04:28 AM
I'm looking for a little bit of feedback regarding Dragon footage and Post workflow...

I know there were a few mentions of DR3Ds not being supported in After Effects a while ago, has anyone had any experience with Dragon workflow issues in the Adobe suit?

Further to this I'd love to hear what you've got to say on power - Does Dragon need considerably more processing?

Thanks y'all

Ben Roper
08-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Anyone actually editing this stuff or are you all so besotted you can't stop shooting?!

Gunleik Groven
08-19-2014, 01:11 AM
I do.
But not in Adobe... :)

I did however chat a bit with an all CC dude the other day, happy puppy on nMP without rocket and all.

Onlining in resolve is piece-of-cake, though.

Ben Roper
08-19-2014, 01:22 AM
Nice, thanks! ...nMP?

Gunleik Groven
08-19-2014, 02:09 AM
new mac pro

Will Keir
08-19-2014, 08:10 AM
I found editing in FCP-X much more friendly for a native workflow. 2 crashes in 30 days vs a crash every 5-30 minutes with Premiere.

Premiere is unfriendly with Dragon footage playback, support is silent so it can be frustrating to troubleshoot. Heard the same from several Adobe CC users.

Neil Dearman
08-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Okay so I have a new Maxed out 12 core Trash can and use Adobe, can I have the same work flow as if I was editing on my Current epic? Or do I need to wait until adobe catches up?

Will Keir
08-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Best way to know is to test with some Dragon footage.

Okay so I have a new Maxed out 12 core Trash can and use Adobe, can I have the same work flow as if I was editing on my Current epic? Or do I need to wait until adobe catches up?

Adam Montville
08-19-2014, 08:50 AM
As of now, Still trying to figure out my workflow, coming from a Red One MX. Trying to work with a Scarlet Dragon, as D.E.B. nor A.D.D., isn't in Adobe yet (but isn't anywhere else either). Tried a test TIFF sequence yesterday, importing in Premiere, and exporting full res to lossless lagarith codec, then Handbrake to 4K x264.

This caused the motion to not be as smooth as the original file. I did GPU encoding to the lagarith codec, (handbrake is cpu only) but that worked fine with Red One. I haven't tested CPU yet.

As of now, TIFF is out for me, so I want to try DPX export from Redcine next..

(I know you can export x264 directly from Premiere, but it only utilizes <50% of my CPU, and rendering takes awhile, my workflow using GPU to make a master, to handbrake, which uses 100% CPU, is faster)

Tommaso Alvisi
08-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Adam,

Handbrake is really good indeed but keep in mind is based on the open source ffmpeg library so *sometimes* you have some glitches,
especially if using the HB Nightly Builds which contain the latest improvements.

The lack of smoothness could be the H264 GPU decoding engine which not keep up with the datarate...try both Quicktime and VLC on a FAST machine,
or reconvert the H264 to ProRes or similar to double check if it's just a playback problem on your side instead of the file itself being the culprit.

Brian Merlen
08-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Dragon works great with redcine and my rocket x...Imagine it would work well with any application with red rocket x... ps I am using a retina macbook pro not a trash can either... I will test some more with resolve lite and fcpx when I get a chance...

Ryan Sauve
08-19-2014, 09:37 AM
I'm using a year old MSI GT70 laptop and running Dragon footage at 1/4 in Premiere CC without problem. Didn't really notice a difference moving up from non-Dragon footage. Not getting any crashes. I'm happy that I can keep using this laptop for a while longer now since 1/4 is fine with me and my clients don't require heavy FX. Looking at the WS60 next but who knows what'll be out in a year or two.

Matt Ryan
08-19-2014, 12:06 PM
I found editing in FCP-X much more friendly for a native workflow. 2 crashes in 30 days vs a crash every 5-30 minutes with Premiere.

Premiere is unfriendly with Dragon footage playback, support is silent so it can be frustrating to troubleshoot. Heard the same from several Adobe CC users.

Might be your graphics card. I haven't had a single crash in CC or CC 2014 with Dragon footage on a retina Macbook Pro.

Adam Montville
08-21-2014, 08:45 PM
This caused the motion to not be as smooth as the original file.

Figured it out. The Sequence settings where right, but it turns out I had to interpret the footage from 30fps to 23.976. Is there away to have RedCine tag the TIFF sequence as 23.976 when you export?

PatrickFaith
08-21-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm on the foundry workflow (nuke/hiero), I will probably go with the dragon monochrome but really need that workflow to be there before i upgrade(i'm addicted to hiero). When ever that happens it, would appreciate it if people could post their tests results, thanks.

Dylan McLaughlin
08-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Been working with Scarlet Dragon material on a new Mac Pro 6 core, D500. Working perfectly. Impressive really.

Marc Wielage
08-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Been working with Scarlet Dragon material on a new Mac Pro 6 core, D500. Working perfectly. Impressive really.
Watch out when you started adding any Temporal NR and Blurs...

Alan Maxwell
08-22-2014, 04:40 AM
I'm shooting 6k dragon and converting to 2k I resolve lite at 17 frames per second. Using 64 gig of ram on nMP can trembler any crashes in Da Vinci Resolve or FCPX

Andrew Usher
08-22-2014, 05:11 AM
I am getting mixed results with RRX on TB2 sonnet enclosure with new retina Macbook Pro ( 2 weeks old). At best i get half res playback in Redcine X, but more than likely i only get playback on 1/4 or 1/8. Seems very dependent on the clip and the Redcode rate used. I am planning a Hack build with two Titan, RRX internal, lots of ram and lots of SSD storage/

Nick Wilcox-Brown
08-22-2014, 07:02 AM
I found editing in FCP-X much more friendly for a native workflow

I'd totally agree with this - FCPX just works with Dragon clips, even on a MBPro. Premiere CC 2014 is currently crash city & projects that can't be edited

Brandon J.F.
08-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Figured it out. The Sequence settings where right, but it turns out I had to interpret the footage from 30fps to 23.976. Is there away to have RedCine tag the TIFF sequence as 23.976 when you export?

No, you have to manually set the frame rate after you import any image sequence. It would be nice if you could change the default from 30 to what you generally use.