PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Rules...see what we went through in 2012 to get 2k for Malick

dino g
09-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Since this is a public link, i can share it with you guys....this is from a movie i worked on ( part of 5 we did in 4 years) with terrence malick and emmanuel lubezki. this was shot at a music festival called fun fun fun which took place in austin texas in late october, early november 2012...please note the rig the AC's built in conjunction with ARRI for the prototype ALEXA M. PLEASE COMPARE THAT WITH AN EPIC DRAGON acquiring 6k...which one would you rather wrangle...

enjoy

dino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQ_Xd_J2hg

p.s. I found the link in this excellent article by THR...http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/what-we-know-terrence-malicks-725908

Vadim Bobkovsky
09-27-2014, 01:17 AM
That backpack! Who you gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS! :crazy:

Brett Harrison
09-28-2014, 08:06 AM
The energy of the crew. Inspiring.

Antony Newman
09-28-2014, 08:32 AM
I guess some people are into heavy metal? ;-)

AJ

Sulekh Suman
09-28-2014, 11:27 AM
You have a point Dino like a lot of others here on reduser. After all of this I would have imagined Lubezki swearing off of this 2K camera but he goes off to shoot Gravity with it. Some people never learn I guess. Seems to me that he really digs the camera. Birdman, Last Days in the Desert, Knight of Cups(Alexa M amongst other cameras) and another untitled Malick project. And who knows what he may do with Alexa 65. I guess there is more to choosing a camera than resolution and weight. I may be biased since I have two of both.

Julio Quintana
09-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Some people never learn I guess.

Seriously? Every Chivo film you listed looks amazing. It's crazy to assume that he didn't test everything available at the time and come to an educated conclusion that fit his needs. I completely understand the sentiment of Dino's original post since it shows how far technology has come now that a tiny Epic Dragon can beat that crazy Alexa rig from 2012. But Chivo knows his stuff. Let's not be confused.

UM ALI
09-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Right on Julio.

dino g
09-28-2014, 11:44 PM
Just from my personal experience he shoots what is right for the job, in every case. I will also say that in November of 2011, he got a nice gig Directing a very high budget multi day commercial for Powerade that aired during the Summer OlymPics in London and he chose Epic...

For Birdman we did many of the testing/Rehearsal days here in LA with EPIC, but ultimately they chose the Alexa...

For Gravity i can tell you from personal experience that we did test the RED One MX at the time, I remember it, like it was yesterday, it was the day that the first iPad was available at the store, April 3, 2010. I had a reservation, but Chivo called me to come and do the Gravity test, and it just seemed way more important than getting a gadget early, I knew the iPad could wait, but shooting with Chivo for Gravity would be, well, Epic! ha ha ha...

For Tree of Life we tested the Red One for 6 months, doing film outs, grading tests, configuration exercises...Ultimately our footage made it in, but I am still waiting for the 7 hour version of the film that has lots more of our shots.

He is extremely open about format, again, it seems to me that he chooses what is best for the job. For David Fincher's Nike Fate commercial which we did right after Tree of Life, in 2008, it was David's first time using RED and they literally called me two days before we shot the first day of 6 shoot dates. not sure what was happening for the weeks of prep prior to calling me, but i was not complaining about it and even though i was on another commercial at the time, i was luckily able to work one job and wrap in time, break down the camera and travel it to san diego and shoot the first day...sleep when your dead....

ok, hope you all enjoy the stories, it has been lots of fun and i feel very blessed to have worked with such talented people, hopefully some of the insight i have gained from it and shared with you all has help you too.

dino

Craig Lees
09-30-2014, 02:25 PM
What the heck is Val Kilmer doing?!?!

Strangely watchable clips!

Craig Lees
Epic X UK
www.3dstories.co.uk

dino g
09-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Acting!

Craig Lees
09-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Lol, I thought it was for real.

Doh!

I think it was the Kilmer crowd heckling that convinced me ; )

Craig Lees
Epic X UK
www.3dstories.co.uk

dino g
10-01-2014, 02:49 AM
I was there and i am still not certain if any of those kids in the crowd even knew who he was....think about it, top gun was 86 (28 years ago), doors 91 (23 years ago) and batman was 95 which is 19 years ago...for that show i think the average age was probably 21....so most of those kids we not even born when two of his most famous movies came out in a theatre...well lets hope he weaves that scene in an interesting way as to take advantage of all of the many facets of val's career.

Chris Bourke
10-20-2014, 11:51 AM
It's good to see you on here Dino, funny to see that video now.

I worked on the Untitled Project under Hiro on the second unit shoots and met you briefly.

I'm sure you've been staying busy, and hopefully well!

Best,
Chris

Marc Wielage
10-21-2014, 05:55 PM
You have a point Dino like a lot of others here on reduser. After all of this I would have imagined Lubezki swearing off of this 2K camera but he goes off to shoot Gravity with it. Some people never learn I guess.
He learned how to win the Oscar that way.

dino g
10-22-2014, 09:47 AM
You have a point Dino like a lot of others here on reduser. After all of this I would have imagined Lubezki swearing off of this 2K camera but he goes off to shoot Gravity with it. Some people never learn I guess. Seems to me that he really digs the camera. Birdman, Last Days in the Desert, Knight of Cups(Alexa M amongst other cameras) and another untitled Malick project. And who knows what he may do with Alexa 65. I guess there is more to choosing a camera than resolution and weight. I may be biased since I have two of both.

Gravity was shot in 2010, before epic was out. we did test red one for gravity, but the alexa won out for its "dithering" in the highlights. for birdman, we tried very hard to get dragon, but it was just too early. we did test with epic and the alexa, i know because we used both my epic and my alexa...but they preferred the alexa. i know that chivo is pretty agnostic when it comes to cameras, he will use what ever is best for the job as i have said before. there have been plenty of jobs that he used reds on and lets not forget, i will say it again, he brought fincher to red, which is huge for a lll of us.