PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade price increase

Gunleik Groven
10-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Hi.

for a client I wonder where the announcement is of the new upgrade price for Dragon and the time threshold (specificaly if it was nov 1st or dec 1st)
And also if this goes both for Epic and Scarlet Dragon, or just Epic.

Tried google site search, and I guess it's burried down in som deep recon thread :)

Best

G

sam karr
10-03-2014, 11:21 AM
It's there Gunleik: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?121652-Scarlet-Dragon-Upgrades-Begin

Abe Espinoza
10-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Jarred mentioned it in the Scarlet Dragon Upgrade thread.

Robert Ruffo New
10-03-2014, 11:33 AM
May or may not happen, I think. They have more market research now and the selling climate keeps changing unpredictably, plus their costs may have gone down in unpredictable ways. This announcement is many months old.

I can say that for me this does not change our planned upgrade schedule one way or another. We will upgrade after Goldilocks OLPF is released, whenever that will be.

Gunleik Groven
10-03-2014, 11:45 AM
THX Sam!

Brian Boyer
10-03-2014, 12:46 PM
...I guess it's burried down in som deep recon thread :)

Best

G

Jarred mentioned it in the Scarlet Dragon Upgrade thread.

For the record, that's a TERRIBLE place for an official announcement, especially since it represents a substantial amount of money and affects all Dragon upgrades, not just Scarlet.

I imagine there are going to be some Epic MX owners who didn't read that thread because they felt it didn't pertain to them, causing them to miss the message.

Likewise, there will be Scarlet owners who missed it as well, simply because they don't read Reduser all that often.

Forums are great places to conduct conversations but they suck as repositories for information. It's too scattered and disjointed. RED needs to do better on this front all the way around.

Instead of just sending people emails about buying new Scarlet Dragons outright, RED needs to send emails alerting people of their "why buy a new camera when you can upgrade?" philosophy-killing price increases for their existing cameras.

Nick Grow
10-03-2014, 12:54 PM
https://support.red.com/entries/23779978-What-is-the-EPIC-RED-DRAGON-Upgrade-Program-

https://support.red.com/entries/23755862-What-is-the-SCARLET-DRAGON-Upgrade-Program-

NICK

Gunleik Groven
10-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Hi Brian...

I am not RED.
And I can follow you.

A couple of points, though...
I think reduser is hardly the place where even "most" redusers gets their official info. red.com and bomsquad reps probably is.
As Nick Grow points out, it is on the official RED pages, that is red.com

I am inclined to do two things.
I don't want a huge debacle on red policy on this issue, still I did post it because my client had missed it. It's important info.
So if the thread can stay polite (your post is polite, that's not the point), maybe this thread can stay open as a reminder for those here who need it.

Isn't that a blessed positive plan? :)

Best
G

Brian Boyer
10-03-2014, 01:05 PM
https://support.red.com/entries/23779978-What-is-the-EPIC-RED-DRAGON-Upgrade-Program-

https://support.red.com/entries/23755862-What-is-the-SCARLET-DRAGON-Upgrade-Program-

NICK

I appreciate the effort but why would someone who's already an owner read something titled, "What is the EPIC RED/SCARLET DRAGON Upgrade Program?"

I mean, some people new to RED might read it, but someone who's had their camera since 2011 probably wouldn't feel the need to consult that page because they would presumably already know about the upgrade. It's part of the appeal of buying the camera in the first place, is it not?

You know where I would most certainly read that deadline info? Yep...in an email from RED.

Gunleik Groven
10-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Point is well made.
And I follow you.

A very good thing then that this thread stays open as a reminder for those who need it.

Thanks

Brian Boyer
10-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Hi Brian...

I am not RED.
And I can follow you.

A couple of points, though...
I think reduser is hardly the place where even "most" redusers gets their official info. red.com and bomsquad reps probably is.
As Nick Grow points out, it is on the official RED pages, that is red.com

I am inclined to do two things.
I don't want a huge debacle on red policy on this issue, still I did post it because my client had missed it. It's important info.
So if the thread can stay polite (your post is polite, that's not the point), maybe this thread can stay open as a reminder for those here who need it.

Isn't that a blessed positive plan? :)

Best
G

I can dig it. As I stated in my reply to Nick, those pages will mostly attract newbies to RED, given their wording.

There's just not a scenario I can come up with where support pages seemingly directed towards new users is a better place to put that info than in an email or on the home page of the website.

A noticeable banner or link stating "Important notice about Dragon upgrade pricing." would be sufficient. I don't think that's asking a lot. It would ultimately help more people as well as RED.

I already knew about the price increase (since the day it was announced) so it's not for my benefit. I'm sure others will benefit, though.

PatrickFaith
10-03-2014, 05:26 PM
I am having problems figuring this out, has the scarlet to epic-dragon upgrade even started? Is that path effected by this upgrade notice(kind of sounds like it is)?

Keegan@Netflix
10-03-2014, 05:39 PM
We will be prepping an email to go out to all camera owners letting them know.

Vance Colvig
10-03-2014, 05:44 PM
My Epics have been upgraded, so I certainly have no dog in this fight. I would hope that Red would send every registered owner of an MX Scarlet or Epic an email advising the price increase. Red does know who the registered customers are, after all.

Beat me to it. Go RED go!

Jim Hoffman
10-03-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm on here a lot. I missed it. Thanks.

Jack Allred
10-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Great!
Glad Brian pushed the point. Never know if/when it helps.

Nathan L Collett
10-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Thanks. Does the Dec 1st cut off mean you can place your order before that day to secure $9500 price? or do you have had it physically upgraded by then? Thanks!

Jarek Zabczynski
10-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks. Does the Dec 1st cut off mean you can place your order before that day to secure $9500 price? or do you have had it physically upgraded by then? Thanks!

Want to know this too.

Robert Ruffo New
10-03-2014, 10:13 PM

Yes, very important info.

Nathan L Collett
10-03-2014, 10:29 PM
i would have liked to see a price decrease... economies of scale and all that. or at least remain the same. mixed feelings about this... :(

Nick Grow
10-03-2014, 11:01 PM

Want to know this too.

Started means you have placed your order and have paid the upgrade fee.

Always can cancel, yes, as long as order processing has not begun (ie, your camera half open on a bench).

NICK

Nathan L Collett
10-03-2014, 11:05 PM
NICK

cool thanks!

Joan Poggio
10-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Hi, I got an email from RED UK couple weeks ago and requested that I be put in touch with RED USA as I upgraded my Scarlet to Epic there, and will continue with the Dragon upgrade in the USA. However, so far, I have not received any email from RED bomb squad USA... I've been chasing for two weeks on this matter as I know the price will go up, and it does not help that no one has gotten back to me...

Keegan@Netflix
10-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Joan,

I will look into this and have a rep contact you.

Hi, I got an email from RED UK couple weeks ago and requested that I be put in touch with RED USA as I upgraded my Scarlet to Epic there, and will continue with the Dragon upgrade in the USA. However, so far, I have not received any email from RED bomb squad USA... I've been chasing for two weeks on this matter as I know the price will go up, and it does not help that no one has gotten back to me...

Joan Poggio
10-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Joan,

I will look into this and have a rep contact you.

Thanks Michael, our account email is film at eyedesign.co.ke we own epic-x 7550
cheers

Mark Whatmore
10-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks for pointing this out - I hadn't realised. I had imagined that there would be some sort of price drop in the future as the life and value of Dragon starts to drop off, but I guess the increase is designed to encourage people to jump in.

sam karr
10-04-2014, 02:54 PM
I'm wondering if the prices of the scarlet dragons and epic dragons (as new) will increase too. Or that would mean that the scarlet dragon brain is 14500, the upgrade is 12500, just 2000 difference.

Nick Morrison
10-04-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm wondering if the prices of the scarlet dragons and epic dragons (as new) will increase too. Or that would mean that the scarlet dragon brain is 14500, the upgrade is 12500, just 2000 difference.

I was wondering if perhaps Scarlet/Epic MX brains may drop...

Nick Fury
10-04-2014, 03:03 PM

That is one scenario, especially as we see the OLPF's sorting out. The value of Dragon may go up, for a time. I and others have observed, without solicitation, that the "new" BT Dragon M that I recently purchased, has an overall better image/color, out of the camera than the Dragon, from 9 months ago-even with pre 5.2.28 firmware.

There several scenarios, to construct for price points and dynamics. Pretty much the only one I don't see as realistic is a Group Buy... But I would be happy to host one...

Thank you very much

Fury

sam karr
10-04-2014, 03:20 PM
That is one scenario, especially as we see the OLPF's sorting out. The value of Dragon may go up, for a time. I and others have observed, without solicitation, that the "new" BT Dragon M that I recently purchased, has an overall better image/color, out of the camera than the Dragon, from 9 months ago-even with pre 5.2.28 firmware.

There several scenarios, to construct for price points and dynamics. Pretty much the only one I don't see as realistic is a Group Buy... But I would be happy to host one...

Thank you very much

Fury

If that' true (the improvement), that's a bit scary. There is only 2 monthes left for the 9500 upgrade. Issues are slowly sorted out. I don't want a camera that is still in development and maybe secretly improved 3 monthes after i bought mine.

Donald MJ Anderson
10-04-2014, 03:24 PM

Thank you very much

Fury

The BT Dragons must be a few months old at least? What is the serial number of your first dragon and the BT you got?

Seems odd that there is a quality difference.

Brian Merlen
10-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Well thats a scary thought, I hope they are all the same...

Thank you very much

Fury

Nick Fury
10-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Maybe I misled you all. For sure, my Carbon Fiber SN 00041,purchased Dec 2013. So, What I was primarily referring to was the color science changes, OLPF's, etc., as known changes, since my first carbon fiber was purchased. Nine months SHOULD give us better images. Both my cameras are out on jobs now, and any copy variation between Carbon Fiber and BTM, which we expect give identical images, will have to wait.

Tank you very much

Fury

Brian Boyer
10-27-2014, 09:19 PM

Did this ever happen? If it did, I never received the email.

Adam Johnson
10-27-2014, 10:32 PM
I wish I knew when Epic X Dragons were going on sale AND if the price on Dragon cameras is going up or not starting December 1st....Buehler..? :)