PDA

View Full Version : Strange vertical lines in Dragon Carbon

JanneJansson
10-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi, today we got some really strange red-purple vertical lines all over the picture. Going out tomorrow again and I feel the panic! I have filed a support ticket also, but just want to know if someone can solve this. The camera is brand new just run 16h and noticed small line during first blackshade alson but it went away. Now the entire image is full of lines and they will not go away. Tried resetting, blackshade and also new firmware. After about 10min all camera locks up and nothing works and fans kick in to turbo speed.

Here is link to log file.
102-A69-4C7_log.txt (http://sfe.se/lines/102-A69-4C7_log.txt)

http://sfe.se/lines/lines.jpg

This is how they look recorded:
http://sfe.se/lines/lines6k.jpg

Nick Fury
10-05-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm sure you tried a new cable and monitor as well as the HDMI out, without anything attached or in the side module. Also, take off the side handle or Switchblade, if that is on camera. Finally, try another side module, you have access to another CF camera-Mini or 1.8", each time holding power on button down for 30 seconds on cold boot. That is the Mg++ mount also, correct?

Thank you very much

Fury

Uros Zuraj
10-05-2014, 10:25 AM
i had similar but not as many on my Epic - it was a fault on the mainboard - what they told me.

JanneJansson
10-05-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm sure you tried a new cable and monitor as well as the HDMI out, without anything attached or in the side module. Also, take off the side handle or Switchblade, if that is on camera. Finally, try another side module, you have access to another CF camera-Mini or 1.8", each time holding power on button down for 30 seconds on cold boot. That is the Mg++ mount also, correct?

Thank you very much

Fury

Hi Nick. Yes tried with just HDMI to tv and nothing connected. Same banding. I don't have no other side module, but tried re-attaching it. It's the mini-mag version. Yes this is the Mg mount and I also tried a Canon and see if it change anything. I'm pretty out of ideas. The banding sometimes changes from a lot to just one line, and that one line is always in the same place.

Nick Fury
10-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Going back to RED, I'm afraid. What is your serial #, BTW?

Thank you very much

Fury

JanneJansson
10-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Going back to RED, I'm afraid. What is your serial #, BTW?

Thank you very much

Fury

Epic-M 280

luigivaltulini
10-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Janne,
attach module +1 and power with vmount.
It's the same?
Just an idea ... but I think bE dead !!

JanneJansson
10-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Yes. Same. The lines are moving very beautifully, almost like the matrix. If I was not so sad I would think it was cool.

luigivaltulini
10-05-2014, 11:32 AM
well I think it's under warranty!
You need to shoot tomorrow?

JanneJansson
10-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Hope so.
Yes shoot tomorrow, but it's cool.

Brian Merlen
10-05-2014, 04:08 PM
you should roll on it a bit, looks kind of like space odyssey! best of luck with getting it serviced

Joshua Taylor
10-09-2014, 01:34 PM
One of my Epic Dragons also started doing this yesterday! Working with support now. I have a feeling that it will need to go back in for repair. Why does this always happen at the worst possible time. Here's hoping that my other Epic Dragon doesn't start doing this!

Joshua Taylor
10-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Here is what I have done so far.

1. Performed a force reset. This removed some of the lines.

2. Updated the firmware to v5.2.28. This removed even more of the lines.

3. Performed black calibration 4 times. This removed all of the lines and the camera seemed to be working fine...... Until......

4. Powered down and up the camera to see if it was really fixed. When the camera powered back on, I now have some weird vertical banding in the video with a few small vertical lines that are visible in lower light.

5. The camera seems to get better and better as it is left on and warms up. I really think it is a issue with one of the boards or power components. Almost like years ago when a capacitor would start having issues causing weird voltage irregularities.

We will see what support has to say. My support ticket has been sent to engineering to look at my log file. I will attach a few photos showing what the lines looked like through my above troubleshooting process.

Uros Zuraj
10-09-2014, 01:50 PM
had the same with Epic X. it dissapeard and came back on a month later and didnt go away. send it back for repairs. its a board thing...

Joshua Taylor
10-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Here is my log file and a video file showing my now vertical bands.

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/4gem72gniq2wdor/AACOz-w64TIioGjvKp97mBzIa

Log File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6j1qzi4w4tlukm/102-975-C4B_log.txt?dl=0

Joshua Taylor
10-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Uros,

Thanks for your post! I had a feeling it was a board thing... Here's hoping I can get a quick turn around on the repair!

JanneJansson
10-11-2014, 12:58 PM
I sent the log in to the tech team and I got a RMA, so camera is going back to red for repair.
This is a quality issue and red need to fix it.

JanneJansson
10-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Just an update. I have received awesome suport. Turnaround time at red UK was same day. Thank you tech-team and Alan Piper.