PDA

View Full Version : Take off OLPF on Red Dragon

Gustavo Fattori
10-06-2014, 07:07 AM
I'm shooting with a Red Dragon, doing some tests, and being a little disappointed with the shadow noises.
My OLPF is a Skin Tone model and, as I don't bought a Low Light OLPF for comparing, my next step is take it out and shoot some subjects without any OLPF, just to feel how it works... An optical bypass.

Could it damage my sensor? Is it danger? Anyone already doing something similar?
Maybe with an IR filter/hot mirror at the mattebox?

Thanks a lot!

luigivaltulini
10-06-2014, 07:45 AM
I'm shooting with a Red Dragon, doing some tests, and being a little disappointed with the shadow noises.
My OLPF is a Skin Tone model and, as I don't bought a Low Light OLPF for comparing, my next step is take it out and shoot some subjects without any OLPF, just to feel how it works... An optical bypass.

Could it damage my sensor? Is it danger? Anyone already doing something similar?
Maybe with an IR filter/hot mirror at the mattebox?

Thanks a lot!

Ciao Gustavo,
Disappointed?
do you have any R3D?
so we can see :)

Andre W.
10-06-2014, 07:57 AM
IF you were to try this and I'm not saying it would be wise or something I would do outside of strong controllable clean environment conditions.... these are a few thoughts....

Besides the sensor cavity now being open, and the potential for dust particles to land on the sensor (should still not land directly on it as it should be in it's own sealed casing), but for dust to get into the cavity and later have the potential to get attracted to the sensor during shooting. If NO OLPF is in place then I would say you would need a hot mirror (or other IR cut filter) and possibly a very light diffusion. Lowcon 1/4 or even 1/8th. This should help reduce any moiré. Back focus is going to be off as the refraction of the OLPF is taken into consideration when setting the sensor distance. This might be to great of a distance to overcome with the typical jackscrew back focus adjustment being implemented with the cameras.