PDA

View Full Version : black shading dragon

Jean Guerra
10-09-2014, 08:35 PM
so in the new firmware i see that there are 4 saving slots for black shading, 4 slots with shutter speeds, what does this actually means? do i need to black shade for each shutter speed i would use?? or this means i need to black shade for each ISO i would use?

Alan Maxwell
10-09-2014, 08:58 PM
You didn't read the copious amounts of posts written on this topic previously did you?

Jean Guerra
10-09-2014, 09:01 PM
i did....but no one spoke about saving 4 types of shadings

George Butterfield
10-09-2014, 09:02 PM
so in the new firmware i see that there are 4 saving slots for black shading, 4 slots with shutter speeds, what does this actually means? do i need to black shade for each shutter speed i would use?? or this means i need to black shade for each ISO i would use?You could black shade and save for Four (4) different shutter speeds. Then you could switch quickly on set when you had to change shutter speeds. You just load the black shading corresponding to the shutter speed.

Jean Guerra
10-09-2014, 09:03 PM
so it has nothing to do with ISO settings... the 4 slots? i can't just change shutter speeds like old days ,now i have to load a pre set on it?

Bob Gundu
10-09-2014, 09:09 PM
so it has nothing to do with ISO settings... the 4 slots? i can't just change shutter speeds like old days ,now i have to load a pre set on it?

For best results, yes.

Bob Gundu
10-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Btw, it was also recommended that you blackshade on frame rate and shutters speeds on MX too.

Jean Guerra
10-09-2014, 09:14 PM
wow can't believe they could complicate it....thought it would be simpler on dragon sensor

Bob Gundu
10-09-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm sure making a 6K sensor wasn't easier.

Jake Wilganowski
10-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Framerate doesn't matter, just shutter speed

Mark Wilkinson
10-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Framerate doesn't matter, just shutter speed

That is an excellent detail. Thank you for pointing that out.

Jean Guerra
10-09-2014, 11:05 PM
what about ISO?

Anthony Vitale
10-09-2014, 11:32 PM
ISO does not matter and it's really not that complicated.

Curran Giddens
10-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Framerates only make a difference in that most of the time people automatically change shutter speed when changing framerates, i.e. "relative" mode. But if you stay at the same shutter speed even when changing framerates it doesn't make a difference. At least that is how I understand it....

Phil Holland
10-10-2014, 02:23 AM
wow can't believe they could complicate it....thought it would be simpler on dragon sensor

It is simpler on Dragon in two forms.

1. You have a fairly large working range (shutter speed) per Black Shading Calibration. Slightly better than MX.
2. You can store up to four presets and load them rather quickly from the camera when desired, something you can't do on MX.

As always, I recommend reading my data sheets on the subject:

Red Dragon - Black Shade, Temp, and Fan Info
http://artbyphil.com/phfx/red/dragon/images/phfx_redDragon_blackShadeTempAndFans.jpg
(http://artbyphil.com/phfx/red/dragon/images/phfx_redDragon_blackShadeTempAndFans.jpg)

Mark van Coller
10-10-2014, 02:32 AM
Can you save these 4 black shades to your computer as well to load up again at a later stage like other presets ??

Phil what are the optimal Sensor and Core temperatures to operate the dragon at. Your data sheet says that adaptive maintains the camera temp at 65 is that referring to sensor or core.
Thanks

Phil Holland
10-10-2014, 02:37 AM
Can you save these 4 black shades to your computer as well to load up again at a later stage like other presets ??

On Dragon you can save them in camera or transfer them to a REDMAG to be loaded a future time if desired.

Also to note. Black Shading isn't as time consuming as it was back in the earlier days of MX.

Commonly this is done either at the beginning of a shoot, a prep day, or when there is a drastic temperature change.

For instance, in LA we've had temps in the 100+ degrees territory and in the sound stage we have it about 25 to 30 degrees cooler. So when film outside I decided to run black shading pass on frame rates i'll be using while I kept a couple of the lower temperature black shades in camera.

David Battistella
10-10-2014, 04:14 AM
Argh.

More reading with many links here. Too many threads on this already.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?120910-Black-Shading-(again)-Strategies&highlight=Black+shading

Battistella