PDA

View Full Version : Updated Low Light OLPF Examples

Brandon J.F.
10-12-2014, 01:09 PM
I shot a few quick tests tonight. All available light.

Scarlet Dragon, ISO 2000, 5k WS, 7:1, 30 second grade.

http://i.imgur.com/lD6PR5s.png

(R3D (https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8uawk72z6jr6x9/A002_C012_1012TB.0000840F.R3D?dl=0))

Please share anything you might have as well. I'll post more soon (with R3Ds).

paulherrin
10-12-2014, 01:55 PM
looks very nice, i'm sure the red lights would change quite a bit between different color sciences, is this dragonColor?

i'll try to look for a specific example i can use, i've actually been committing the grave sin of not black-shading (to allow, perhaps, for a little more noise,) which i find has a pretty pleasant disposition... but i've also heard that it takes less time in the newer builds, and i should probably get back to blackshading anyhow. but for purposes where you want noise, i find it better to get it in camera via underexposure than adding it, at least with the red.

David Battistella
10-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Wet streets help a lot in low light.

nice samples.

Battistella

Burke Doeren
10-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Brandon, that looks great! What lens and T-stop did you shoot with?

Paul, the biggest problem with not black shading is that you can develop hot pixels over time, and if you get a few in a series of shots, it's much more time consuming in post to remove those pixels than it is to do a good black shade beforehand.

Adrian Weinbrecht
10-12-2014, 02:30 PM
I shot a few quick tests tonight. All available light.

Scarlet Dragon, ISO 2000, 5k WS, 7:1, 30 second grade.

http://i.imgur.com/lD6PR5s.png

Please share anything you might have as well. I'll post more soon (with R3Ds).

Brandon this looks really great, yes wet streets do help at night time as David B pointed out, when you say 30sec grade can you please let us know roughly what you did and in what software?

We will be getting our 2x Scarlett dragonised this year, so I'm really interested in any low light OLPF samples.

Thanks for sharing

Brandon J.F.
10-12-2014, 02:31 PM
looks very nice, i'm sure the red lights would change quite a bit between different color sciences, is this dragonColor?

I didn't really look yet. Yeah, it's DG/RG4. The reds are really "hot" in the tests I shot. Almost too hot.

i'll try to look for a specific example i can use, i've actually been committing the grave sin of not black-shading (to allow, perhaps, for a little more noise,) which i find has a pretty pleasant disposition... but i've also heard that it takes less time in the newer builds, and i should probably get back to blackshading anyhow. but for purposes where you want noise, i find it better to get it in camera via underexposure than adding it, at least with the red.

I really like how Dragon noise feels. It's very filmic. I'm probably going to add enough ND that I can shoot the few daylight exterior scenes we have at ISO2000 so things match.

Wet streets help alto in low light.

nice samples.

Battistella

Yeah, the wet streets look great and help a lot.

Brandon, that looks great! What lens and T-stop did you shoot with?.

I shot at a T2. The lens goes to T1.6. The girl was just someone random on the street and she's a little out of focus.

Thanks!

Brandon J.F.
10-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Brandon this looks really great, yes wet streets do help at night time as David B pointed out, when you say 30sec grade can you please let us know roughly what you did and in what software?

We will be getting our 2x Scarlett dragonised this year, so I'm really interested in any low light OLPF samples.

Thanks for sharing

I auto white balanced in camera (2857K, -20.596 tint), a small S curve, plus some alchemy (0.373), default unsharp mask, and outputted a still with ADD. Then I added a subtle vignette in Camera Raw and boosted the "Whites" +60. That's it. It took about 30 seconds.

The low light OLPF is the way to go for indie work!

The way I'm lighting these street scenes is to use what's there and paint in a little light with a battery powered china ball on a boom pole. I have a company making me custom variable color temp LED strip lights (CRI 95) so I can dial in anything between 2700k and 6000k. The lights should arrive soon. Then it's just a matter of playing with the color temps of the LEDs and what I balance to until I find a combination I like.

Oh, and the updated OLPF fixed the flaring problem entirely!

Andy White
10-12-2014, 03:23 PM
I

So, no more red orbs?

Brandon J.F.
10-12-2014, 03:27 PM
So, no more red orbs?

Not a one.

Andy White
10-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Not a one.

:thumbsup:

Carey Lee Coffey
10-12-2014, 04:09 PM
These interchangeable OLPF's are the coolest innovations on the planet!

Can't wait for the rest of them to be released! It'll be like owning 6 different cameras in 1. Awesome!

sergio arguello
10-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Orbs were only an issue when you have direct hit into the lens at deep stops t8-t11 I believe. Not this situation at all.

Brandon J.F.
10-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Orbs were only an issue when you have direct hit into the lens at deep stops t8-t11 I believe. Not this situation at all.

Maybe you're thinking about the red sensor dots? Orbs are different: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?121443-OLPF-V1-Samples&p=1413846&viewfull=1#post1413846

sergio arguello
10-12-2014, 08:12 PM
oh shit...when do those beasts show up? thats horrific i missed all that all together...

Frank Hague
10-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Gorgeous shot, Brandon. The low light olpf is to night time exteriors as the highlight olpf is to daytime exteriors: simply the best. Can't wait to get this lowlight one too.

Adam Beck
10-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Brandon, really nice shot. Very cool!

Robert Ruffo New
10-13-2014, 01:22 AM
Not a one.

There are no neutral colored lights to reveal the red orb problem in that shot, so hard to tell. I see sizeable red orbs around red lights, which could be normal and just because they are red, or maybe that's fog and not orbs at all, orů Really hard to say.

Someone PLEASE shoot actually bright, non-red lights so we can see to what extent problem has really been solved.

Julio Quintana
10-13-2014, 01:24 AM
Hmm...the advantages of the highlight OLPF seem less obvious lately...

Jason Kraynek
10-13-2014, 05:12 AM
def on the "to buy" upgrade list

Peter Granqvist
10-13-2014, 05:44 AM
this really looks great brandon...!!! maybe you could post a R3D... 'd be appreciated... very nice work...!!!:thumbsup:

Robert Berger
10-13-2014, 07:30 AM
I auto white balanced in camera (2857K, -20.596 tint), a small S curve, plus some alchemy (0.373), default unsharp mask, and outputted a still with ADD. Then I added a subtle vignette in Camera Raw and boosted the "Whites" +60. That's it. It took about 30 seconds.

The low light OLPF is the way to go for indie work!

The way I'm lighting these street scenes is to use what's there and paint in a little light with a battery powered china ball on a boom pole. I have a company making me custom variable color temp LED strip lights (CRI 95) so I can dial in anything between 2700k and 6000k. The lights should arrive soon. Then it's just a matter of playing with the color temps of the LEDs and what I balance to until I find a combination I like.

New?? low light OLPF? is this the nwe interchangeble OLPF ?

best Robert

New showreel on www.camlight.nl

Brandon J.F.
10-13-2014, 09:03 AM
oh shit...when do those beasts show up? thats horrific i missed all that all together...

It's no longer and issue. All fixed now.

this really looks great brandon...!!! maybe you could post a R3D... 'd be appreciated... very nice work...!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks, I'll post an R3D today!

New?? low light OLPF? is this the nwe interchangeble OLPF ?

RED revised the V1 OLPF. The updated version will be an option with the interchangeable system. I don't have that yet. I just got lucky and got the updated OLPF when I requested V1.

sam karr
10-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks, I'll post an R3D today!

It would be great. Love the shot. What are your impressions on the dragon scarlet? How does it compare to the scarlet MX?

Brandon J.F.
10-13-2014, 09:28 AM
It would be great. Love the shot. What are your impressions on the dragon scarlet? How does it compare to the scarlet MX?

It's light years better than the MX. No rolling shutter, great low light capability, skintones are amazing, great highlight roll off, aesthetically pleasing noise at high ISOs...

Brandon J.F.
10-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Here's the r3d: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8uawk72z6jr6x9/A002_C012_1012TB.0000840F.R3D?dl=0

Gavin Greenwalt
10-13-2014, 01:49 PM
The reason the red lights are going so weird is probably because RCX doesn't expect to see a low-light OLPF and its color science is way off.

Brian Merlen
10-14-2014, 07:25 AM
Here's the r3d: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8uawk72z6jr6x9/A002_C012_1012TB.0000840F.R3D?dl=0

Can we grade the r3d file ourselves and post examples to this thread? Thanks so much for posting the sample, really great for us non low light OLPF users! I just ordered mine now when I saw your shot example :)

Brandon J.F.
10-14-2014, 08:25 AM
The reason the red lights are going so weird is probably because RCX doesn't expect to see a low-light OLPF and its color science is way off.

Yeah, that may be. I'm optimistic the reds will be tamed in a future update.

Can we grade the r3d file ourselves and post examples to this thread? Thanks so much for posting the sample, really great for us non low light OLPF users! I just ordered mine now when I saw your shot example :)

Sure, go for it.

Johnny Friday
10-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Can anyone tell me what the gain in light using V1 vs V2 OLFP? is it one or more stops? I can't seem to find any posted specs on how much light loss or gain of one vs. the other.

David Battistella
10-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Johnny,

from phils tests what we see is a dr shift from the shadows to highlights favoring 1-1.3 tops in either direction. The stops move around but the total dr is the same. You get 1-1.3 stops more in the shadows or highlights.

The diiference is noticeable in texture, not really in sensitivity, but with the LLO you will get lower noise in the shadows.

Battistella

Robert Ruffo New
10-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Johnny,

from phils tests what we see is a dr shift from the shadows to highlights favoring 1-1.3 tops in either direction. The stops move around but the total dr is the same. You get 1-1.3 stops more in the shadows or highlights.

The diiference is noticeable in texture, not really in sensitivity, but with the LLO you will get lower noise in the shadows.

Battistella

This is simply not true. OLPF 01, like MX, gently rolls into the noise floor. OLPF 02 does not, it dives right down to no information black below a certain illumination. Aside from the pink orb issue exclusive to current OLPF 01 and the magenta smear issue (which affects all OLPFs at this time), issues which may not appear or be a factor in your shoot, OLPF 01 is very, very good, and color improvements present in OLPF 02 are in my opinion minor at best over OLPF 01.