PDA

View Full Version : DRAGON WORKFLOW PANEL

Michael Cioni
10-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Friends of RED User-
Education is one of the biggest components to improvement, and what better way to learn than from those who have a great story to tell...

Tomorrow night at the ArcLight Cinemas Hollywood, Light Iron will be hosting an inside look at the first 6K RED Dragon feature release, "Gone Girl."
For anyone interested in advanced RED workflow, cinematography, and hearing from some of the industry's most advanced technatives, I invite you to register at the link below and join us!
There will be 4K selected clips, documentary examples, behind the scenes stories, and testimonials followed by Q&A. We are also hosting an after party as well.

Hope to see you there! Link below!
Michael

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gone-girl-found-6k-tickets-13621906489

Bob Gundu
10-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Dang it! Wish I could go.

Marc Wielage
10-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Ah, Chad Lancaster found the corrected link:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gone-girl-found-6k-tickets-13621906489

Billy Jim
10-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Dang it! Wish I could go.

I'm told that the event will be recorded, and posted online.

Phil Holland
10-14-2014, 09:27 PM
Heh. Cancelled my evening camera related thing to attend. Sounds like a good one. Looking forward to it.

Brett Harrison
10-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Yeah. The plane ticket would only be $1600ish...

Great to meet you at CineGear Michael. Very envious of everyone who can go and I hope there's a recording of the event.

Michael Cioni
10-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Great to meet you, too, Brett! Yes, we will be capturing it…on Dragon's, of course;-)

Yeah. The plane ticket would only be $1600ish...

Great to meet you at CineGear Michael. Very envious of everyone who can go and I hope there's a recording of the event.

Mikael Lubtchansky
10-14-2014, 10:39 PM
Looking forward to the recording

Jeremy Torrie
10-15-2014, 05:51 AM
I'll be looking for the online link! Sounds like it will be loaded with tons of useful info...and as Michael says education is our friend!

Vincent Accardi
10-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Michael, how's it going? any chance you'll have this in NYC as well? Thank you as always.

Diego Querzoli
10-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Nice... wish I was nearer for this. Everyone else

Nathan Apffel
10-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Definitely worth the drive from SD. See you tonight Michael!

DC Chavez
10-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Awesome.... See you there! We should have a REDUser meet up and drink... :D

Blair S. Paulsen
10-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Definitely worth the drive from SD. See you tonight Michael!

When are you leaving SD? Carpool…

Cheers - #19

Nathan Apffel
10-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Hey Blair,

I will probably leave around 2. Will try to beat traffic and grab early dinner or a drink near the arch light prior to the event. Let me know if you want to roll up! Shoot me an email or text. 760-522-628three

Tommaso Alvisi
10-15-2014, 03:08 PM
I'll be looking for the online link!

me too!!!!!

Marcos Montenegro
10-15-2014, 04:59 PM
+1 for an East coast presentation

DC Chavez
10-15-2014, 07:06 PM
It's about to go down!!! :). If you're here, stand up and yell "where my RedUsers at?!?!?"

Marc Wielage
10-15-2014, 10:36 PM
The panel discussion was terrific. Kudos to Michael, Ian, and all the others -- it was an amazing insight into a terrific-looking film. They did record it, so chances are good that it should eventually appear online in some form.

SUNILPREM
10-15-2014, 11:07 PM
I am waiting for the online release........................thanks

Sunil prem

Janosch Simon
10-16-2014, 03:46 AM
yeah i love michaels presntations! cant wait for the online link :-)

Phil Holland
10-16-2014, 10:32 AM
I really want to commend Michael and Light Iron for putting on a really well organized and executed event.

For those who weren't there, the presentation was a nice mix of panel discussion, behind the scenes segments, on camera interview pieces, and a short Q&A session.

Very nicely done.

Michael is going to make a concise post with graphics at some point, so I won't steel his thunder by sharing everything that went down last night, but some key things I feel that were interesting are:

- Noise Reduction - There were 5 shots total that received Noise Reduction in the entire film. That means the vast majority of what was seen on screen was pure Red Epic Dragon material. Do remember this was shot on the early Red Epic Dragons with essentially a "version one" OLPF, similar to what we are getting with the Low Light Optimized OLPF. Jeff had some extremely nice things to say about Red and the camera "always developing and improving". He stated that Dragons have come a long, long way since shooting Gone Girl.

- 6K Post Stabilization, Re-Framing, and Comp - This we knew a bit about before and Michael/Light Iron put together some really interesting graphics on the 5K 2.40:1 extraction from the 6K 2:1 frame as well as the 1.78:1 extraction that the film is undergoing right this second. From the previous event we learned about Kirk Baxter (and team) slicing up and comping performances from different and the same takes to tighten up the timing and performances and they had some great examples showing exactly that. The interesting one for me was the Stabilization of the 6K frame with the 5K extraction. They didn't so much stabilize the shots to reduce micro vibrations, but more to "carve out" a different "camera behavior". Meaning leveling a shot or stabilizing it to the extent that the camera move was a bit more deliberate and focused to smoothly create a more compelling composition.

- Personal Thoughts - The Gone Girl team, Light Iron, Adobe, and Quantel really focused on "image first" and 6K wasn't something they were scared of. It is admirable to see people looking at what the Dragon technology can do and what 6K as a format could be used for on this production. I have very, very strong thoughts about 4K+ and hearing the panel members talk about this concept in such a way sort of magnifies what much of this is all about. Gone Girl was the first feature film with a 6K Production and Post Pipeline. Everybody involved was paving roads on this front and seeing them unlocked on a creative level by not being overwhelmed by a fear of something new is very impressive.

It was a truly humbling and nice surprise to see a few of my Dragon Graphics projected on the big screen at the Arclight. Michael used them to discuss exactly what 6K is as well as discuss resolution to format relevance, which is something Red has done very right with Dragon. Unexpectedly hearing my name and seeing those on the big screen was certainly a happy moment.

I really do hope we get to see more events like this put on by Light Iron. Events like this provide an insight to the filmmaker's challenges and desires on the road to a film's finish that can be extremely informative and educational for those encountering similar hurdles.

Lastly, it was really nice to meet a few other Reduser Members at the reception after the event. Lot's of names and faces I've "seen" for a long time, but haven't met in person before. Lot's of new Dragon shooters in there too, which led to some fun discussions. Having Jeff and the panel members there at the reception was wonderful as some of the handshakes and conversation continued well into the night. The whole evening was just wonderful.

Thanks again to Michael and Light Iron for putting this together.

Adam Beck
10-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Loved the event! Phil nailed it with his summary. I surely hope Michael and Light Iron do this again in the future. Well worth the 3 hour drive to attend.

Elsie N
10-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks Phil,

Nice teaser for the online release of the event, as if it needed one. '-)

Looking forward to hearing and seeing the panel reveal their methods.

ryanpostas
10-16-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm so fortunate to have been able to attend and shake hands with Mr. Cronenweth!! Congratulations on Gone Girl, Quantel, Adobe and pushing digital cinema into the future! Would be a great team to be a part of!

Marcello Altieri
10-17-2014, 10:55 AM
You rock and really enjoyed the event.
Love love love

Kemalettin Sert
10-26-2014, 01:13 PM
when we can watch this?

Nick Morrison
10-26-2014, 04:19 PM
when we can watch this?
+1!

Love to get a chance to see a webcast of this.

best

sdoc
10-29-2014, 04:44 AM
In the meantime, an appetiser ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DMw8nvRu9Q

Phil Holland
10-29-2014, 04:59 AM
In the meantime, an appetiser ~

Worth embedding and not just because I have the last question during the panel:

Kemalettin Sert
01-17-2015, 02:59 PM
I want to watch this!!!

sdoc
01-20-2015, 08:23 AM
:iagree:

With last week's GG Blu-Ray being somewhat devoid of supplemental goodness I needs me some 'extras'

sdoc
05-25-2016, 04:35 AM
Did any of this ever end up anywhere at all...?

i consumed 'GG' over the weekend, and got around to daydreamin' about this panel.
i know it was recorded and i hear it was wonderful.

it would be cool to see it, if possible.