PDA

View Full Version : Swim.com Commercial Shot On Dragon and Kowa Anamorphics

Daniel Soderberg
10-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Swim.com Commercial Shot On Dragon and Kowa Anamorphics
I was the DP, and Colorist.

Although I couldn't get the coloring exactly how I wanted because we had issues loading the RMD color profile into Premiere.

https://vimeo.com/109086663
Pass: kowas

Feedback welcome!

PS. Dragon and Kowas are for rent in San Francisco :)

BRANDON JAMESON
10-16-2014, 12:02 AM
AMAZING WORK, DANIEL!
Love the music and graphics treatment too.

manoj paramahamsa
10-16-2014, 12:59 AM
that's amazing work
what is the output aspect ratio ?
i guess it's 4k 2x anamorphic mode right ?

David Battistella
10-16-2014, 02:13 AM
Very tasteful. Very well done.
I enjoyed the subtle work in the soundtrack and the placement of breaths.

Nice work.

Battistella

Jack Shanahan
10-16-2014, 06:23 AM
how did you get the underwater tracking shots? Love this aspect ratio for this content - nice choice. love the overall look too.

Grzegorz Gill
10-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Beautifully shot, lovin the skin tones!

Jon Carr
10-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Kowas are my favorite Anamorphic glass. Great to always see them in action! Great job!

Daniel Soderberg
10-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Thx so much guys!
The aspect is 3.2:1 I tend to like a pretty wide aspect.
The underwater tracking shot was done by wrapping the op with a thick rope and three guys would pull him across the pool from out of the water.

Doménico Travano
10-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Thx so much guys!
The underwater tracking shot was done by wrapping the op with a thick rope and three guys would pull him across the pool from out of the water.

Looks amazing, Daniel. Great job on the tracking. Did you use a harness to attach the camera to the op? I imagine water tension as op was pulled was an inconvenience the faster your subject swam across the pool.

Daniel Soderberg
10-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Looks amazing, Daniel. Great job on the tracking. Did you use a harness to attach the camera to the op? I imagine water tension as op was pulled was an inconvenience the faster your subject swam across the pool.

Actually no, just simply made a loop around him with the rope, and he held on to his beefy Gates underwater housing with the Epic in it. Every once in a while the rope would pull him awkwardly and we would have to redo it, but it worked pretty well.

John Oczkowski
10-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Nice stuff, Daniel!

Phil Holland
10-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Very cool.

ryanpostas
10-16-2014, 09:45 PM
As a former competitive swimmer and current dragon shooter, I really enjoyed this piece! Makes me want to grab that watch and get back in the pool!

Would love to help you out if you're ever shooting down here in LA!

Bob Gundu
10-16-2014, 10:01 PM
:thumbsup:

Daniel Soderberg
10-17-2014, 09:09 AM
Thx a lot guys!

Marc Wielage
10-17-2014, 09:29 PM
I often have a problem with new aspect ratios that never existed before in history, and I'd question whether this will play well on TV or on computer displays because it's so narrow. But the color and exposure are very beautiful.

Matthew J
10-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Thx so much guys!

Sometimes the simple methods are the best. Looked really good going with them.

I often have a problem with new aspect ratios that never existed before in history, and I'd question whether this will play well on TV or on computer displays because it's so narrow. But the color and exposure are very beautiful.

I think the aspect ratio is perfect for this spot. It helps focus on just the body while in a long position, otherwise you'd have a whole bunch of empty space that might be distracting.

Note Suwanchote
10-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Sometimes the simple methods are the best. Looked really good going with them.

I think the aspect ratio is perfect for this spot. It helps focus on just the body while in a long position, otherwise you'd have a whole bunch of empty space that might be distracting.
Damn. Now I want some anamorphic lenses.

Which did you use? thanks!

Nick Morrison
10-21-2014, 06:53 AM
Great work Daniel. Love the handheld feel, the pacing. The sound design was superb too. And yes, the underwater tracking shots really caught my eye!!

Awesome job. Congrats.

Greg M
10-21-2014, 07:16 AM
Very well done Daniel. The sound design really enhances the piece.

Adam Beck
10-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Aspect ratio really helped on the underwater tracking shots. i too like the wider aspect rations, have yet to try the 8:1 on the Dragon.