PDA

View Full Version : Blacks noise 4k to HD in Scratch or Red Cine?

Jeffo
05-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Red'ers
I would like to hear about what owners have seen and solutions they came up with.
Blacks noise 4k to HD in Scratch or Red Cine noise in the blacks?
Please mention software versions.
Would like to hear first hand experiences. Rather than speculation.
thanks,
Jeff O.
freelance Scratch post guy

Sanjin Jukic
05-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Noise is not the SCRATCH issue ,

it's up to how you've shot and lighted your footage.

Also the lenses you were using, etc...

Almost the same like with a film shooting.

It was discussed here may times.

Mark L. Pederson
05-01-2008, 03:44 AM
Red'ers
I would like to hear about what owners have seen and solutions they came up with.
thanks,
Jeff O.

Hey Jeff -

We have rich blacks in Scratch without noise. It is a "non-issue" for us.

I had the opportunity to see footage from our second feature film on 32 foot screen being projected in 4K from a DCP on the Sony 4K projector - and the blacks were BLACK. Amazingly clean.

I see that you are a "freelance Scratch post guy" so I assume that you know that many of the incremental versions of Scratch were tied to specific "red nodes". And while all the recent builds are backwards compatible to the extent you can open footage from any and all firmware builds - they are NOT the same. (You MUST finish your project on the same build/node that you started grading - that's "best practice" anyway)

FYI - The very latest builds feature some multi-thread optimization - so, if you are on 8-cores ... you get even more performance.

Lucas Wilson
05-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Red'ers
thanks,
Jeff O.

What up Jeff? I'm watching you, man... :)

Lucas

Blair S. Paulsen
05-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Shout out to Jeffo (where are you based?) and Scratch proficient freelancers in the SoCal area. I am getting a Scratch RED Pre-Post system on May 7th and would like to create a call list of folks to work it.

Some gigs will be at set in my custom grading van, typically in LA. Some gigs would be at my studio in San Diego and others at post facilities that would rent the seat for use at their site. The Pre-Post system is based on the MaxCube so it is easily portable.

If interested please PM me your qualifications, day rate,etc.

Chris Parker
05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I am doing the same as Blair, but north of the border. Any freelance colorists in Toronto want to PM me your qualifications (Scratch experience preferable), day rate as well would be appreciated...Toronto based.