PDA

View Full Version : Apple releases 8 core, 3GHz

Eirik Tyrihjel
04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Now the big question is, do I just order straight away (my G5 dual 2Ghz is a bit overdue, I want the best Mac Pro from day 1 of having my RED)

Is it likely that Apple will release anything faster between now and August?

Apples website says delivery 3-5 business days...

Jeff Kilgroe
04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
DO NOT ORDER UNTIL YOU NEED IT! Apple will most likely have another update by then. We don't even know what they will announce at NAB just yet. Methinks ordering now would be foolish. And with RED #476, you still have a couple months.

Ryan Manes
04-04-2007, 10:25 AM
I doubt apple is going to release anything else Pro hardware wise before you get your RED. The next announcements will most likely all be Software related. In any case I would advise waiting till after NAB to buy anything.

Bruce Allen
04-04-2007, 10:48 AM
The graphics cards options are still stuck in the Stone Age. Hope they fix that soon.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Emmanuel Cambier
04-04-2007, 10:56 AM
New display should come soon, and the mac pro may get an other update then.
I would definetly wait for NAB, and maybe even wait for edited:Leopard.
This present update is just a rushed out thing, methink, because the info slipped out last week.

Emmanuel

Paul Wizikowski
04-04-2007, 11:12 AM
I could see Apple improving the processor power a bit between now and then. Say from 3Ghz up to 3.2

And, just to be repetative, yea, wait till after NAB at the very least.

Jeff Kilgroe
04-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Apple will offer a 3.2GHz speed bump about the same time Intel does. Intel just started shipping the 3.0GHz quad core chips in quantity.

Poi Boy
04-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Finally ! it is all coming together. 2007 is indeed going to be the best ever.
I think all us FCP guys are going to be very pleased with nab. can't wait.
Aloha
-A

Eirik Tyrihjel
04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
wait, wait, wait... now where is the fun in that? ;-)

MikeCurtis
04-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Waiting is well advised - my further thoughts (pardon the blog trolling, figured folks would be interested):

On the new hardware:

http://www.hdforindies.com/2007/04/hey-quad-core-mac-pros-are-on-apple.html

On other price drops:

http://www.hdforindies.com/2007/04/price-drops-on-apple-lcds-ram-hds.html

and the juiciest bits here speculating on what that means for Final Cut:

http://www.hdforindies.com/2007/04/tea-leaf-reading-based-on-apple.html

In short, I'm underwhelmed with these machines, the new CPU is all that is different, there is no HD disc burning option, thus perhaps Final Cut Studio xXx isn't going to ship anytime soon after all.

Just speculation, my reasoning in the posts, don't feel like retyping it all here.

Anders Holck
04-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Regarding FCP extreme and the current graphics cards, it would be very interesting with Mac support for Quadro® Plex.

For really high end compositing, color correction and rendering, this could be a awesome option.

Some features:
- 2 x NVIDIA Quadro FX
- 128-bit color precision (Fp 32)
- OpenGL2.0
- 32X SLI FSAA
- VGA up to 2048x1536
- 2 x Dual-link DVI-I , up to 3840 x 2400 @ 24Hz x 2
- Native support for Sony 4K projector
- 4 x HD-sdi or 2 x 2 Dual link HD-SDI

$24,500.00 Ouch!

Seriously imagine a finishing/color correction app utilizing this.

Greg Voevodsky
04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
New display should come soon, and the mac pro may get an other update then.
I would definetly wait for NAB, and maybe even wait for Jaguar.
This present update is just a rushed out thing, methink, because the info slipped out last week.

Emmanuel

You mean "Leopard." I running on old Jaguar now for 3 years on my G4. I'd definately wait for the new OS that will take full advantage of these screaming 64 bit Intel chips.

I hope they offer a special "RED" Apple edition with blu-ray drive, 4k monitor, and supercharger to warm the room.

Emmanuel Cambier
04-04-2007, 03:03 PM
You mean "Leopard." I running on old Jaguar now for 3 years on my G4. I'd definately wait for the new OS that will take full advantage of these screaming 64 bit Intel chips.

I hope they offer a special "RED" Apple edition with blu-ray drive, 4k monitor, and supercharger to warm the room.

Hum, sorry, I gess I need som sleep.:cold:

Emmanuel

Gunleik Groven
04-05-2007, 03:59 AM
I put together my order and then...

Hey wait!

I just got a mini to stand in a corner and render, because I wanted to wait for the octo-mac, and I have a dual G5 standing in another corner doing the same thing, while I happily supply them with tasks from a coreduo MBP.

If I'm really stuck, I can arrange for some of the other machines to chew away. Red isn't here yet and what I really need first is XSERVE + XSAN.
But then I'd want a SATA XRAID, not the current PATA

I can keep my breath till after NAB...

Gunleik

Robert Sanders
04-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Remember, REDCINE will only support Intel Macs. No G5s.

Gunleik Groven
04-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I know

There's some of them hanging around the place -;)
4 to be precise -;)

My G5 is still my main edit bay, though - because of video-cards, RAID etc.

... and I expect it might be well beyond my Red days.

Cutting and offlining - if needed - on the G5
Octo-mac for red-cine, rendering shake scripts and (hoping and praying) background distributed FCP rendering) and coding for delivery

I sorta do that last part already though.

Finishing in RT extreme with dynamic frame view

Final render on another computer.

G

Gavin Greenwalt
04-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Considering the performance advantage a good GPU has over a good CPU in image processing and the assurances by Graeme etc that RedCine will use our GPUs to their fullest I would much rather deck out a 4 core Opteron system with the latest and greatest in GPU power than dump it into a spendy dubiously useful 8-core system.

Poi Boy
04-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Kind of depends on your situation....in my case a new 8 core makes way more sense.
-A
Aloha