PDA

View Full Version : Importing Full QT Ref of 2k r3d

smanfredo
05-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Can I import the Full (F) QT Ref into avid or only the High (H) with 2k footage, and what is the resolution on the high qt. Right now when I import the full version everything is green. Right now when I import the high version at 1:1 1080p there's quite a bit of compression. Thanks in advance.
steve

smanfredo
06-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Is there a way to blow up the qt ref into the avid to 16:9 from 2:1 with red alert or something other than redcine?

Jeff Brown
06-03-2008, 03:06 AM
QT does not surrently support 16:9 (but will do with build 16) hence your green screen.

Yes you can rescale to 16:9 using any of red alert/redline and redcine.

The proxies are really only for preview and as the _h is half the resolution of the source frame you can get away with 4k _h for web/sd work but if you shot 2k and want an HD finish etc then you'll have to process ir first to get the best quality.

You also won't be able to import the QT ref files to avid as is as Avid does not support the redcode codec. You need to

a) batch compress the proxies through compressor to an avid friendly codec
b) run the source r3ds through redcine/redline/redalert to get best quality QTs

If your plan is to finish on what you take into the avid then go the "process it up front" route. If you will be offline/online then batch compress the proxies (and don't forget to import via metacheater so you keep your timecode for your edl!)

Hope that helps

Jeff Brown
RED708

MichaelP
06-03-2008, 04:03 AM
[QUOTEYou also won't be able to import the QT ref files to avid as is as Avid does not support the redcode codec. [/QUOTE]

You can import the QT files directly when on Mac into a Media Composer. It is currently the only way to select which data rate you want to use since RedCine and Red Alert do not yet expose the th full range of Avid QT codecs.

Michael