PDA

View Full Version : Interfacing menus through redlink wifi and phone?

Howard Kan
02-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Hello RedUsers!

I've been looking for information on the capabilities of redlink but haven't been able to find much information...
I was wondering if it's possible to interface/control settings on the brain using the built in redlink wifi and a phone/tablet without having to buy the touch monitor, side handle, and sidekick. I would be using a 3rd party monitor but still need a way to access camera settings. Any thoughts?

EDIT:
After a bit of researching, I found foolcontrol app for mac/iphone. Is this available for andriod? Anyone have experience using it? Does this setup require providing wifi via a router or does the camera generate it's own wifi signal?

Thanks!

Mikael Lubtchansky
02-26-2016, 02:19 AM
Hello

No android version of foolcontrol but RED has a free app you can try instead.

Camera can either generate own network (ad hoc) or connect to a router (infrastructure).

Altho almost everything can be done with those apps, often faster and better than on the camera itself it is recommended to have a physical camera controller, if only to initially setup the wifi...

Regarding foolcontrol Android support, as a cameraman and 'indie' software developper I'd rather keep adding new features on my existing apps than support an additionnal platform. Also it is, in my opinion, often smarter to keep an iPod touch or iPad mini as a dedicated camera accessory in the camera case vs draining the battery of your personnal phone while shooting all day... Any device able to run iOS 8 works with foolcontrol btw...

HTH

Ryan Farnes
02-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Altho almost everything can be done with those apps, often faster and better than on the camera itself it is recommended to have a physical camera controller, if only to initially setup the wifi...

So some sort of direct control (red touchscreen, sidekick) is required to set up the camera to even be able to interface with fool control each time?

Darryl Harris
02-26-2016, 01:19 PM
So some sort of direct control (red touchscreen, sidekick) is required to set up the camera to even be able to interface with fool control each time?

I believe it's just initially to set up the wifi

Howard Kan
02-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Thank you so much for your response and dedication on developing this tool Mikael! I'll definitely be buying it since it will be perfect for gimbal usage.