PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only camera op using these?

william otto
04-15-2016, 09:54 PM
I've been testing these out for Epson as a viewing system and they are pretty friggin' cool, especially for handheld and Ronin applications. Normally these are used by lab techs, dentists, surgeons etc., however Epson incorporated an HDMI out on them making them useful as a camera viewing system. I know there are quite a few
drone operators using these but I found them to be a versatile option as an EVF for a lot of other shooting situations.

What makes these different from the other glasses is their transparency so you can see both the image and what is physically in your path so to avoid trees, curbs, potholes etc.

If interested there will be demo at NAB booth C1327 starting Monday.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H560020

soren k jensen
04-16-2016, 08:20 AM

Elsie N
04-16-2016, 08:34 AM
Are these useable out of the box as a "monitor"?

I've been wanting something like this for years and even mentioned it several years ago on REDuser. To me this + Foolcontrol can turn multicams into robots for certain kinds of shooting.

william otto
04-16-2016, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure if the link is broken or if it is a bandwidth issue because it was working earlier this morning.

Try these ones:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2462138,00.asp
or
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Moverio-BT-200-Glasses-Edition/dp/B00KLFS4GG

Elsie N
04-16-2016, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure if the link is broken or if it is a bandwidth issue because it was working earlier this morning.

Try these ones:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2462138,00.asp
or
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Moverio-BT-200-Glasses-Edition/dp/B00KLFS4GG

Not broken, just takes a long time to load.

william otto
04-16-2016, 08:40 AM
Are these useable out of the box as a "monitor"?

I've been wanting something like this for years and even mentioned it several years ago on REDuser. To me this + Foolcontrol can turn multicams into robots for certain kinds of shooting.

Somewhat... you just have to buy the HDMI cable to connect to your camera.

I've been using it because I shoot a lot of handheld, R&G style projects.

We'll be demoing it with a Ronin at NAB.

Elsie N
04-16-2016, 08:46 AM
William, you should set up a group buy for REDuser.

Elsie N
04-16-2016, 08:51 AM
Somewhat... you just have to buy the HDMI cable to connect to your camera.

I've been using it because I shoot a lot of handheld, R&G style projects.

We'll be demoing it with a Ronin at NAB.

I'm thinking something like the Nyrius HDMI transmitter to sling the image to the Nyrius receiver connected to HDMI on the Epson. If this doesn't interfere with the DSMC2 internal wi-fi, you could remotely have control over your camera while viewing what it is seeing. And doing this by looking through your glasses display at the Fool Control readout on your iPad.

william otto
04-16-2016, 09:18 AM
William, you should set up a group buy for REDuser.

That sounds like a great idea Elsie. I will talk to my contact there and see if we can set one up.

Elsie N
04-16-2016, 09:30 AM
That sounds like a great idea Elsie. I will talk to my contact there and see if we can set one up.

Good!

One more question from your experience... the Epson glasses give you the feel of an 80 inch display. Do you pull focus yourself and does that size simulated display aid in that?

Chris McKechnie
04-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Lots of bad reviews and complaints, plus, it says you can't connect it to an external source. Did they change something so you can connect a source?

william otto
04-16-2016, 10:04 AM
One more question from your experience... the Epson glasses give you the feel of an 80 inch display. Do you pull focus yourself and does that size simulated display aid in that?

I normally do not pull focus myself. I'm using these just as an EVF/viewer because of the way I hold my camera when I'm shooting (not always on my shoulder.) Not everything is perfect with these glasses and they take some getting use to, but they have proven effective in some situations.

What I like most about them is the projected/size of the image and the fact that they are transparent so I can see what's around me. Why I like the size is because it's better to judge composition as opposed to a 5" screen. It actually feels and looks like a projected movie screen and I'm much more confident in my composition choices.

The only issue with using these to pull focus would be how good your vision is. I need reading glasses so I was concerned with how sharp I would perceive the image (it being so close to my eyes) and it was much sharper than I expected yet still slightly off because of my eyes, yet sharp enough to comfortably shoot. However I wouldn't trust my eyes to shoot an entire project through these without a focus puller.

Elsie N
04-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Lots of bad reviews and complaints, plus, it says you can't connect it to an external source. Did they change something so you can connect a source?

Hmmmm, maybe the bad reviews are for the BT-200 while the latest iteration is the BT-300.

The link to the website shows the BT-200 as a developers version.

Blair S. Paulsen
04-16-2016, 10:14 AM
If the image is sharp enough to pull focus, sign me up.

Cheers - #19

Elsie N
04-16-2016, 10:20 AM
If the image is sharp enough to pull focus, sign me up.

Cheers - #19

My thoughts exactly.

And with three different inserts, maybe someone who wears glasses can either get contacts or take the inserts to their optometrist and have them ground to prescription. '-)

EDIT: Or Lasik surgery.

william otto
04-16-2016, 10:28 AM

Yes, these glasses are not without their flaws. It all depends on what you are using them for and how you use them. They have developed an HDMI converter box to connect to a camera which is how I've been using them.

Chris McKechnie
04-16-2016, 10:31 AM
Are these available now? IF so, where can I order?

Elsie N
04-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Are these available now? IF so, where can I order?chris, wait for the Group Buy... please... for the sake of my pocket book. '-)

william otto
04-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Hmmmm, maybe the bad reviews are for the BT-200 while the latest iteration is the BT-300.

The link to the website shows the BT-200 as a developers version.

Yes, Elsie. The BT-200 version is not ready to shoot out of the box. It is the BT-300 that Epson plans on making an out of the box kit with the HDMI converter. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

Chris McKechnie
04-16-2016, 10:47 AM
chris, wait for the Group Buy... please... for the sake of my pocket book. '-)

Haha...if I bought one...that wouldn't effect you. Hehe But yea, I'll hold off. Want to test it first.

Dan Kanes
04-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Try this :

http://vufine.com

Elsie N
04-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Try this :

http://vufine.com

Nice little gadget but I don't think it will offer a virtual size big enough to pull focus. But really not enough information to form a clear opinion.

william otto
04-16-2016, 04:31 PM
chris, wait for the Group Buy... please... for the sake of my pocket book. '-)

Let's see what the team over at Epson says as they are not a boutique company as we all know. A group buy may not be in their interest, but it won't hurt to ask.

I'll bring it up to them at NAB, and I'm sure other people will as well.

Mark K.
04-19-2016, 08:12 AM
I think the Zeiss cinemizers might be a better option for this kind of thing. Obviously you have to remove them completely to be able to move around. But they'd certainly make operating from all the weird nooks and crannies you get into on set a lot easier on the old neck.

Dan Kanes
04-20-2016, 09:08 PM
Cinemizer is now sadly discontinued, HOWEVER...

Vufine is a Monocular system that makes a decent replacement, and Avegant Glyph is a SUPERB Binocular Replacement.

I am totally open to trying these out though, I don't have any horse in this race, just sharing the ones I know about.

Emir Aksay
05-05-2016, 03:14 PM
would be nice to take the monitor off the ronin.

Chris McKechnie
05-05-2016, 03:26 PM
The Glyph is AMAZING!!!!! You can see where you're walking as you have enough visibility below the goggles. The clarity is unreal and definitely feel confident pulling focus off of them. Crazy bright too, so don't rely on them for color reproduction/image exposure

Dan Kanes
05-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Chris - glad you like the Glyph! It certainly is impressive in many ways.