PDA

View Full Version : DSMC NAB Build 6.3.6 - AVID DNXHR and DNXHD recording.

Jarred Land
04-16-2016, 07:24 PM
a TON of really great new features in this one... this is one of those " It's like a whole new camera " builds.

I really screwed over our RED.COM team today by releasing all this two days before we were supposed to so it wont be till monday morning for the links to come live but I wanted to lay down the path since some of our 3rd parties are relying on this news to release theirs.

Enjoy.

SIGNIFICANT CHANGES SINCE PREVIOUS BUILD v6.2.55
* Added Avid DNxHD/HR Codec support (DSMC2 only)
* Added Apple ProRes playback (DSMC2 only)
* Added Apple ProRes support for FF format (DSMC2 only)
* Added tethered Apple ProRes (DSMC2 only w/ REDVOLT Expander or other gigabit Ethernet compatible module)
* Added high speed file transfer over gigabit Ethernet (DSMC DRAGON, DSMC2)
* Added 3rd party OLPF name and default calibration (DSMC2 only)
* Added control for default curve in split monitoring (DSMC2 only)
* Added REDCAST Module dialog notification when non-UHD format selected (DSMC only)
* Added REDMOTE v9.6.23 (DSMC only)
* Added RCP pass-through support
* Added Lens Info tab to Lens Dialog
* Added Atomos device support to HDMI output
* Added Metadata tab in Lens dialog for manual entry
* Added shortcut assignments to presets
* Added Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
* Added Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II
* Added Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6E ED AF-S VR
* Added Nikon TC-14 III 1.4x Teleconverter
* Added Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM A1 for Canon
* Added Sigma 24-35mm EF for Canon
* Added Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS for Canon
* Added Sigma 24-105mm F/4 DG OS HSM for Canon
* Added Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD for Canon
* Added Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD for Canon
* Added Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 Macro for Canon
* Fixed Motion Mount settings after power cycle
* Fixed Motion Mount shutter angle spinner values
* Fixed Motion Mount shutter speed with Square or Soft shutter
* Fixed REDMOTE lockout when SLA is displayed
* Fixed timelapse timer when frame count is larger than 1
* Fixed tint value for Auto White Balance
* Fixed PRO I/O Preview (PVW) abbreviation in UI (DSMC only)
* Fixed distorted live audio after playback (DSMC2 only)
* Fixed color and gamma space values in QT metadata (DSMC2 only)
* Removed Lens Calibration menu
* Improved Nikon/Canon lens support
* Improved PL Fujinon/Canon lens support
* Updated in-camera help files

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1460881930.jpg

PatrickFaith
04-16-2016, 07:29 PM
That's just Massive!

( I guess the new jet pack can do file transfers now)

Filipe Abreu
04-16-2016, 07:29 PM
You are The best !!! So now scarlet e can record prores 4K and 5k ?

Gavin Greenwalt
04-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Added high speed file transfer over gigabit Ethernet (DSMC DRAGON, DSMC2)

Oooooiooooooooooooooo!!! Can we offload and backup from a redmag in-between takes?

Phil Holland
04-16-2016, 07:54 PM
I can't wait to test out the DNxHD/HR support. And 5K ProRes sounds intriguing!

ProRes Playback on camera is massive. I've already seen DSMC2 bodies put to ENG use just firing off ProRes only shooting days. This will help that world out a whole bunch.

Somebody just pinged me for a stop motion project and I can see some potential for the new ethernet transfer support for something like that. Hell, timelapse too for that matter. I already know the fashion folks are going to eat this up.

jake blackstone
04-16-2016, 08:15 PM
What flavor 4k and 5k Prores?

ignition
04-16-2016, 08:19 PM
ProRes playback - awesome! And a 5k gift as well... Also been noticing great improvements to Weapon boot time.. Will the inclusion of additional Avid codecs etc potentially affect this or will we keep seeing it head south towards faster?

Chris McKechnie
04-16-2016, 08:25 PM
WOW

Jeff McCoy
04-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Fantastic update! Thank you Jarred.

Jarred Land
04-16-2016, 08:46 PM
ProRes playback - awesome! And a 5k gift as well... Also been noticing great improvements to Weapon boot time.. Will the inclusion of additional Avid codecs etc potentially affect this or will we keep seeing it head south towards faster?

not 5k prores recording, FF sensor recording which means when you are in 4/5k FF modes on your camera you can record scaled down ProRes, before you couldn't in that aspect ratio :)

Reuben Evans
04-16-2016, 09:01 PM
* Added tethered Apple ProRes (DSMC2 only w/ REDVOLT Expander or other gigabit Ethernet compatible module)
* Added high speed file transfer over gigabit Ethernet (DSMC DRAGON, DSMC2)

So does that mean the REVOLT Expander could deliver a 4K ProRes stream over ethernet? Seems like that would make it a DSMC2 REDCast module of sorts. With the right software (Probably not made yet) and a couple cameras could you theoretically do a 4K multicam/live stream with a router?

jacob.schwarz
04-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Where can i download this release?

Bob Gundu
04-16-2016, 09:44 PM
Where can i download this release?

Have to wait until Monday as noted in Jarred's post.

Brent Carter
04-16-2016, 09:48 PM
Have to wait until Monday as noted in Jarred's post.

I will post links on Monday morning.

jacob.schwarz
04-16-2016, 09:50 PM
haha. didn't read between the lines. haha.

Randy Panado
04-16-2016, 10:54 PM
THANK YOU FOR PRORES PLAYBACK!

Adrian Weinbrecht
04-16-2016, 10:55 PM
Once again a big thank you to Red.

Do we know if this will work with The Nikon Mount and lenses ? I'm still on 6.0.44 (which rocks as a build anyway) on my Epic and Scarlett Dragons. Lots of Nikon users are waiting, is now the time to upgrade firmware?

lastly, Thanks so much to Red for continuously pushing things forward......

Eric Haase
04-16-2016, 11:11 PM
great news about DNXHD support.

David Battistella
04-17-2016, 02:18 AM
Added Lens Info tab to Lens Dialog

i hope this gives us the ability to add dumb lens info to r3d metadata.

david

Christoffer Glans
04-17-2016, 04:35 AM
A question though, because I've been pushing for this a while now; is it DNxHR/HD in MXF form? Because DNxHR and HD is just like ProRes really, there's no real difference within Avid or any other software. If it's MXF OPatom, that is the real deal for Avid editorials.

Russ Fill
04-17-2016, 05:45 AM
Thank you and don't tell my clients. I finally got them all good with R3d raw...Now they will never want to use anything else..
Just kidding. Now we have a new tool in the tool box.

Matthew Quinn
04-17-2016, 05:48 AM
A question though, because I've been pushing for this a while now; is it DNxHR/HD in MXF form? Because DNxHR and HD is just like ProRes really, there's no real difference within Avid or any other software. If it's MXF OPatom, that is the real deal for Avid editorials.

I am super curious about this as well. I only have a little experience with AMC, but the feature we edited on Avid involved a lot of transcoding to make the MXF files. will the Camera do this process for us now?

Christoffer Glans
04-17-2016, 07:36 AM
I am super curious about this as well. I only have a little experience with AMC, but the feature we edited on Avid involved a lot of transcoding to make the MXF files. will the Camera do this process for us now?

It's actually no real transcoding, it's just a wrapper for the codecs inside. DNxHD and HR is native Avid and works good on both PC and MAC, but the real power would come with having a dedicated folder on the SSD card that wraps the DNxHR files into MXF files with a AFE import file as well. Then you only have to put those files into the Avid media folder as a numbered folder and import the AFE and you're good to go. If these are QT DNxHD they will have to be transfered into MXF wrappers and that will take time and be exactly the same as taking ProRes doing the same. Both ProRes and DNxHD/HR works cross platform native in Avid so the process will be identical without MXF. That's why MXF is important. There's really no reason to shoot DNxHR over ProRes otherwise, other than having a cross platform codec that doesn't need QT (as there seem to be problems with that on Windows now).

Mikael Lubtchansky
04-17-2016, 07:40 AM

Yes MXF it is.

Matthew Quinn
04-17-2016, 07:41 AM
ty! going to be awesome

luigivaltulini
04-17-2016, 07:49 AM
It's actually no real transcoding, it's just a wrapper for the codecs inside. DNxHD and HR is native Avid and works good on both PC and MAC, but the real power would come with having a dedicated folder on the SSD card that wraps the DNxHR files into MXF files with a AFE import file as well. Then you only have to put those files into the Avid media folder as a numbered folder and import the AFE and you're good to go. If these are QT DNxHD they will have to be transfered into MXF wrappers and that will take time and be exactly the same as taking ProRes doing the same. Both ProRes and DNxHD/HR works cross platform native in Avid so the process will be identical without MXF. That's why MXF is important. There's really no reason to shoot DNxHR over ProRes otherwise, other than having a cross platform codec that doesn't need QT (as there seem to be problems with that on Windows now).

this , perfect Chris.

Christoffer Glans
04-17-2016, 11:37 PM
Yes MXF it is.

Did you just confirm? :tongue_smilie:

Jarred Land
04-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Did you just confirm? :tongue_smilie:

Yes he did :)

Christoffer Glans
04-18-2016, 01:20 AM
Yes he did :)

Best news today! :D

Peter Lyons Collister, ASC
04-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Merci

Brent Carter
04-18-2016, 10:14 AM
New beta firmware is live:

WEAPON CF (Beta): https://www.red.com/downloads/5632ad24cc11fa24c10009fd
WEAPON MG (Beta): https://www.red.com/downloads/57112c00104ec8361a001ab9
SCARLET-W (Beta): https://www.red.com/downloads/57112c21104ec8361d001bae
RED RAVEN (Beta): https://www.red.com/downloads/57112c46104ec8361d001bb4
EPIC DRAGON (Beta): https://www.red.com/downloads/5231f48d17ef026cdf0002e4
SCARLET DRAGON (Beta): https://www.red.com/downloads/538b5a572f74a93526004422
EPIC M-X (Beta): https://www.red.com/downloads/50d4b905a48c372a96001721
SCARLET M-X (Beta): https://www.red.com/downloads/4f8c3e5f2f74a94ac2000419
REDMOTE (Beta): https://www.red.com/downloads/4ff5d4c526465a1e4600316d

REDLINK SDK: https://www.red.com/downloads/533c9a8226465a0b61000996

Randy Panado
04-18-2016, 11:01 PM
Anybody give the new firmwares a spin?

Christoffer Glans
04-18-2016, 11:50 PM
Brent, when might the firmware be released as non-Beta? What used to be the time to that?

Alexander Chinnici
04-20-2016, 02:29 PM
I second that (non-beta release expectation) would love to know for a potential feature in July. A lot of these would be super helpful. Thanks!

Randy Panado
04-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Shot with the beta this past week. Short 3 hour shoot though no issues. LOVE that the prores files have the same aspect ratio as the non-hd 5k resolutions! Thanks again RED team!

Anthony Berenato Jr
04-21-2016, 10:27 PM
I've been running the beta for a few days without any issues cropping up at all. The only thing I noticed was that while choosing to Auto Calibrate during a black shade, the dialogue box to choose a calibration never went away. Not sure if this was a random bug, or that's how it is going to work now. Kind of missed being able to watch the functionality.

Russ Fill
04-22-2016, 04:11 AM
I used it for a day and noticed that the UI out put or overlay for the HDSDI didn't seem to work. Just a clean image no menu functions or overlay possible.. I maybe a one off bug but didn't feel comfortable yet as Im in the middle of production and can check it out as much as I would like. So I rolled back to the 6.2.55 just to play it safe for now.
Everything else seemed to work great. Really looking forward to when this build is no longer beta.
Would be great to hear some more feedback.

Christoffer Glans
04-22-2016, 05:24 AM
Has anyone had the chance to try out the DNxHR MXFs?

Samir Patel
04-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Anyone use the new firmware on MX sensors so far? Was considering upgrading today but also considering holding off until after the weekend.

Maik Müller
04-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Anyone use the new firmware on MX sensors so far? Was considering upgrading today but also considering holding off until after the weekend.
Got it on my Scarlet-X/DRAGON, no problems so far.

Samir Patel
04-25-2016, 12:53 PM
yeah I went ahead and installed it too. I didn't have any problems. Wasn't satisfied with the general content I shot anyway that day but I guess I will try to shoot some personal stuff to see if it is up to snuff. Thanks Maik,

Christopher*Seguine
04-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Extremely buggy with the 7" touch.
Diagonal tearing on the screen, random black horizontal lines, only on display, not in recording.
Only when shooting above 24fps - 60p, etc.
Setting monitor to 30hz and back to 60hz again cures the problem.
No problems with previous build

Still not fixed:
If IS switch on canon lens is ON, when camera is powered on, IS is NOT enabled.
Switching it off, then back on fixes it - extremely annoying.
400mm 2.8 II, 300mm 2.8 ii, 200-400 f4, etc - all same problem

Elsie N
04-25-2016, 04:44 PM
On the Weapon, there's a thin red line about an inch long and at a slight angle on my 7" old style touch screen. A previous build caused the diagonal tearing but not on this one.

Didn't show up immediately but a few days after installing.

Anthony Berenato Jr
04-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Extremely buggy with the 7" touch.
Diagonal tearing on the screen, random black horizontal lines, only on display, not in recording.
Only when shooting above 24fps - 60p, etc.
Setting monitor to 30hz and back to 60hz again cures the problem.
No problems with previous build

I had noticed some diagonal tearing on the previous build. Have been noticing some odd problems with the touch screen as well. (Seeing a strong vertical line down the crosshair center during playback, especially with focus assist on. Thankfully not in the footage. RED Ticket still open.) I'll try the refresh rate switch and see if it changes anything. Might do a complete reset.

Elsie N
04-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Forgot to mention... after doing a "Restore default", the thin red line in my 7" touch disappeared.

Christoffer Glans
04-28-2016, 06:16 AM
What is usually the timeframe from beta to release built? I'm eagerly wanting to update my camera to enable MXF, but I just have a personal policy to never go beta :)

Phil Holland
04-28-2016, 12:26 PM
What is usually the timeframe from beta to release built? I'm eagerly wanting to update my camera to enable MXF, but I just have a personal policy to never go beta :)

There is no answer to this question. If a beta build has a lot of bugs and kinks to work out, it takes time. Sometimes a couple of months.

Randy Panado
04-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Just wanted to confirm with both the beta firmware and beta red workflow updater for apple, my scarlet-w r3d footage works perfectly in FCPX.

Jeff Kilgroe
04-28-2016, 03:01 PM
I did a quick little project on Weapon last week and then upgraded to the new beta firmware. Had a moment of panic on my CF Weapon when upgrading the firmware as I ended up with a black/white split-screen with some additional garbage on the one side of the screen after the the camera updated. I disconnected and reconnected the monitor -- using my RED 5.0 touch -- and it was fine, so glad I didn't just force power off at that point.

Firmware seems to be alright, but I have not put it fully through its paces yet. Going to play the next few days and see what happpens. Will give the AVID DNX support a good look. Same with ProRes. I really have not played with the proxy recording since getting Weapon.

PatrickFaith
04-28-2016, 03:26 PM
What camera options get burned vs not-burned into the DNX file (i.e. is the only thing not burned in is the LUT and opengate )?

Maik Müller
04-28-2016, 04:45 PM
I did a quick little project on Weapon last week and then upgraded to the new beta firmware. Had a moment of panic on my CF Weapon when upgrading the firmware as I ended up with a black/white split-screen with some additional garbage on the one side of the screen after the the camera updated. I disconnected and reconnected the monitor -- using my RED 5.0 touch -- and it was fine, so glad I didn't just force power off at that point.
Thats a bug i have for ages with various builds (beta and final). It's fixed for me when i switch back from 60hz to 30hz (well, or temporary via the unplug/replug-procedure).

P.S.: Today i saw some blocky tearing with 6.3.6 when dialing in higher shutter-speeds.

Luca Volpe
04-30-2016, 07:46 AM
GUys I have a question for the Red Code, insitalled in my Imac. This plug in helpe to make sure you can see the red files in fcpx, and I understand now is waiting the update...but...how this can be updated? If I go in the system preference ok...Isee the plug in there...but, for example if I want to remove it...where it is??...lol....and how this can be updated? I don't see any update section...lol...sorry the question...I know looks stupid but are days I am trying ti understand...lol...thanks!

Maik Müller
05-01-2016, 10:29 AM
GUys I have a question for the Red Code, insitalled in my Imac. This plug in helpe to make sure you can see the red files in fcpx, and I understand now is waiting the update...but...how this can be updated? If I go in the system preference ok...Isee the plug in there...but, for example if I want to remove it...where it is??...lol....and how this can be updated? I don't see any update section...lol...sorry the question...I know looks stupid but are days I am trying ti understand...lol...thanks!
The FCPX-plugin is part of the RED APPLE WORKFLOW Installer, which you'll find in the support/software-section on red.com. Just download and install.

Luca Volpe
05-02-2016, 02:25 PM
The FCPX-plugin is part of the RED APPLE WORKFLOW Installer, which you'll find in the support/software-section on red.com. Just download and install.

Yes Maik, I know and I have it already (the old one I cant find the beta...) i am just wondering when there will be the new uodate do I need to download again and will overwrite the old one? Also where I find that plug in imy mac? Is nit in the olig in folders....goign crazy...lol...thanks

Alex Bros
05-04-2016, 03:07 PM
4444, HQX, HQ, SB, LB.... which of these is supposed to be DNxHD 115?

Phil Holland
05-04-2016, 03:16 PM

SQ is the closest thing to what you are asking.

Alex Bros
05-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Thanks Phil.
It's the editor that wants it. Not sure if closest will work for them...
I would just shoot R3D at the lowest possible compression if it were up to me :001_cool:

Trent Lillehaugen
05-04-2016, 03:31 PM

The old naming convention is total bandwith in Mb/s (megabits per second) (rounded to some nice number). An 'x' was added for 10 bit color (vs the normal 8 bit)

DNxHD LB: 8 bit, 188416 bytes/frame
DNxHD SQ: 8 bit, 606208 bytes/frame
DNxHD HQ: 8 bit, 917504 bytes/frame
DNxHD HQX: 10 bit, 917504 bytes/frame
DNxHD 444: 10 bit, 1835008 bytes/frame

For 23.98 frames per second:
DNxHD SQ is:
606208 bytes/frame * 23.98 frames/second * 8 bits/byte ~= 116294943 bits/s which is ~ 115 Mb/s.

So I would say DNxHD SQ @ 23.98 is equivalent to the old DNxHD 115

jordan levy
05-04-2016, 04:23 PM
this is still beta right? any idea of when it might be finished? im scared to use right before a job, any hiccups?

also, anyone figure out how to get around the whole premiere not liking raven and scarlet files?
lat i heard was to transcode your r3ds in redcinex, but can you link those back to r3ds in divinci? can r3ds be read in divinci ok?
need to plan what to tell the DIT and post guys.
thanks!

Rakesh Malik
05-04-2016, 05:24 PM
also, anyone figure out how to get around the whole premiere not liking raven and scarlet files?
lat i heard was to transcode your r3ds in redcinex, but can you link those back to r3ds in divinci? can r3ds be read in divinci ok?
need to plan what to tell the DIT and post guys.
thanks!

As long as you don't change the filenames, you should be able to reconform them to the originals in any color grading software.

jordan levy
05-04-2016, 08:07 PM
As long as you don't change the filenames, you should be able to reconform them to the originals in any color grading software.
thank you!

jordan levy
05-05-2016, 06:59 PM
so i havent updated to this beta yet, but im thinking maybe i should because something weird happened today on a raven, just a little bug.
when i magnify the image, it has a diagonal line from one corner to the other, and stays with the image until i toggle back.
anyone experience this?

Elsie N
05-21-2016, 09:08 PM
I was going through the menus recently and checked in on the Tools/horizon menu. I did not tell the camera to calibrate, but apparently just being in the horizon menu placed the thin red line on my monitor. Had to do a reset to get rid of it. This happened on two different firmware, one a beta release and the other the latest release version.