PDA

View Full Version : Archiving 3K Scarlet footage

Paris Fox
06-29-2008, 06:24 PM
After I buy my Scarlet, Flash cards and RED-RAY device, here are my questions.

1. With 2 Flash cards installed in Scarlet, how many minutes of RAW 3K do I expect to then transfer to the RED-RAY Archiving device at one time? How many minutes will 2 cards fill?

2. When I put my Flash cards into Red-Ray, will I be able to archive my RAW 3K footage to a DVD-9, and how many minutes will I store on a DVD-9?

3. Does the Red-Ray decode and scale 3K footage to something my computer will understand in RGB 1080p directly from the Flash cards or do I have to first make my archive to DVD-9 first?

Thank you in advance!

Jared Caldwell
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
After I buy my Scarlet, Flash cards and RED-RAY device, here are my questions.

1. With 2 Flash cards installed in Scarlet, how many minutes of RAW 3K do I expect to then transfer to the RED-RAY Archiving device at one time? How many minutes will 2 cards fill?

You can check on ScarletUser for how much (estimated) space 3k footage will take up on XGB Flash Cards. Also, RedRay is not an archival device. It is kind of hard to know exactly WHAT it is, other than it is a player (and could be much more).

2. When I put my Flash cards into Red-Ray, will I be able to archive my RAW 3K footage to a DVD-9, and how many minutes will I store on a DVD-9?

You would not want to archive your 3k footage to DVD-9 using the new "secret" Red compression. We can only assume that it is destructive (which = loss of quality). I don't know how much 3k you can fit on a DVD-9 disc, but I assume it will be greater than 2 hours worth.

3. Does the Red-Ray decode and scale 3K footage to something my computer will understand in RGB 1080p directly from the Flash cards or do I have to first make my archive to DVD-9 first?

RedRay will scale downscale your footage based upon your display. I have no idea how RedRay will interact with your computer other than speculation.

Thank you in advance!

No problem! :weight_lift: