PDA

View Full Version : Cross PLatform Programming toolkits

chocblu
07-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi All,

So i'm contemplating the crazy. writing my own editor, as usual probably nothing will come of it, but, im a software engineer by day and make films on the weekend. And i'd like to have a play around with some stuff, and get some experience in the hope of possibly one day working for a post house. its crazy what some people do for fun :sarcasm: .

So ive looked around at video editors and gone a) no cheapish video editor on linux b) no editor that works on linux, Windows and Mac.

I then ran into the Qt tookkit from trolltech, which uses the quicktime, directshow and GStreamer architects seamlessly. And i thought, thats my ticket.

My only concern is "Is it good enough", Does it preserve the right amount of information etc.

SO im asking on this forum as it seams that this has the most advanced programming media guys that i know of (Mr Bloom and others from cineform etc) has any body else used Qt to do media stuff, how does it hold up?

Any help would be great.
Mark

PS this probably wont actually eventuate to anything but i like to dream :)

Thor Wixom
07-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi All,

So i'm contemplating the crazy. writing my own editor, as usual probably nothing will come of it, but, im a software engineer by day and make films on the weekend. And i'd like to have a play around with some stuff, and get some experience in the hope of possibly one day working for a post house. its crazy what some people do for fun :sarcasm: .

So ive looked around at video editors and gone a) no cheapish video editor on linux b) no editor that works on linux, Windows and Mac.

I then ran into the Qt tookkit from trolltech, which uses the quicktime, directshow and GStreamer architects seamlessly. And i thought, thats my ticket.

My only concern is "Is it good enough", Does it preserve the right amount of information etc.

SO im asking on this forum as it seams that this has the most advanced programming media guys that i know of (Mr Bloom and others from cineform etc) has any body else used Qt to do media stuff, how does it hold up?

Any help would be great.
Mark

PS this probably wont actually eventuate to anything but i like to dream :)

Mark,

What about this idea...

It would be AWESOME to have the ability to export ProRes files from a PC! Without having to install Mac OS on a PC.

I would LOVE to be on set generating ProRes files for my clients, on a faster laptop than what Apple offers.

Would it be possible to write a program or plug-in that would allow me to export .R3D files to ProRes files on a Windows PC?

Off your topic a bit... but what do you think?

-Thor

Jeff Kilgroe
07-14-2008, 11:13 PM
With no ProRes codec for Windows, etc.. and Apple not making it an open or documented format, there's no way to do it without considerable reverse-engineering. And with that, no way to legally release a commercial product.

chocblu
07-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah, sorry i have to agree with Jeff on this.

What the Qt toolkit does is just allow you to use whatever codec's are installed on the platform at runtime. So you can write a media player that runs on OS X, and then it will also run on Windows. And each version of the player will output the different codecs on each machine/Operating system but you dont have to rewrite the code.

Just on that, the other guys on Linux that edit things (i presume on smoke i think) do you just edit in File sequences, and if so how do you get those in the first place, a telecine?

Cheers

mark

David Newman
07-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi Mark,

Do you want a job at CineForm? We're hiring! We have linux stuff in the works and considering using Qt for our next large cross platform project. Sounds like you have the correct interests (engineer by day, filmmaker the rest of the time.) Now are you anywhere near San Diego?

laguun
07-15-2008, 02:21 PM
With no ProRes codec for Windows, etc.. and Apple not making it an open or documented format, there's no way to do it without considerable reverse-engineering. And with that, no way to legally release a commercial product.

As with any intentionally restricted/incompatible, propietary fileformat codec, prores remains a niche codec.

Interoperability is key for any facility larger than 1-5 seats.
Panasonic learned that lesson meanwhile. Sony did.
Arri did. SI did.
Even Quantel, Avid and autodesk/discreet.

chocblu
07-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi David,

Unfortunately im about as far away from San Deigo as you can get. Perth Western Australia. Although working at cineform would be pretty damn cool. Although you have hit on my other main reason to make this editor, as a bit of a showcase of what i can do, os that i can hopefully move into programming for media stuff.

Its good to hear that you guys are thinking about using QT, because my main concern with it was the ability of it NOT to stuff up the footage. It seems pretty nice in a lot of ways, especially with the crossplatform media framework. My guess is that because it plugs into the underlying framework, it will be no worse than whatever it is abstracting (i'm looking at you quicktime....).

Im actually just starting to learn QT (picked up a book yesterday) and trying it on my Mac..

I'll let you know how i go!

Thanks for the feedback!

PS( if you are serious David i'd love to know what hte selection criteria is!)

Thor Wixom
07-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I realize that ProRes on a PC laptop will probably never happen.

Kind of a bummer really since Apple does not sell the fastest laptops.

-Thor

KStephens
08-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi All,

What you should choose depends largely on what your goals are. If you want to write a cross-platform video editor for Mac, Linux & Windows you're going to need to consider that both the interface and the internal processing will need to be portable.

You could adapt something like libavcodec and libavformat, which cover a huge array of A/V and file formats. They are cross-platform and that would cover your file/format needs.

Then you'd need the interface. There are several options, for example wxWidgets, which uses the native OS controls.

Cheers

Joe Carney
08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
check out wxWidgets, cross platform and doesn't have the encumbrances of QT.

http://wxwidgets.org

also check out

http://freeframe.sourceforge.net/

for OpenGL based effects processing.