PDA

View Full Version : Power save usefulness?

AndreasOberg
01-15-2019, 08:40 AM
Hiya,
I have not used the power save features much since when I tried on our MX I did not notice much difference.
But I see that many on the forums recommend them.
Anyone has done tests about what differences you can expect?

As I understand we have both sleep and power save. Anything more?

On another note. Is it possible to boot up the Red remotely? Our Teradek focus controller can press Start/Stop over distance with the ctrl cable. I'm just trying to figure out ways to save power for remote filming.

Best,
Andreas

AndreasOberg
01-28-2019, 12:39 PM
Ok, so I have done a test now.
Target temp 36C inside a normal heated room.
Paglink 150. Helium and no accessories needing power. Lens cap open so the screen is normal bright.
Normal Mode 2:00
Sleed Mode 2:03 - 2:10. I did not hear exactly when it shut off but it was less than 2h10min, maybe 2h5min.

This means you get roughly 4-5% longer up time if it is in sleep mode all the time. However realistically it will only be in sleed mode say 30% of the time and then you only get 1% longer battery time, maybe 2%

So to conclude, a tiny benefit that for mysellf would not be worth it.

I will do some more tests, test with another battery etc, and test the low power preview. What does this do anyway? Only difference I see is that it turns down the brightness of the display.
I also thought I would try with a higher target temperature, but I doubt the fan is the main power draw for the camera.

Anyone has a different conclusion?
Best,
Andreas

Björn Benckert
01-28-2019, 06:47 PM
With the v lock expander you can make camera boot up by giving it power in the AC input. There is a switch on top of the module that toggles the feature.

Robert Hofmeyr
01-29-2019, 12:04 AM
Thanks Andreas, this is interesting. I assumed that putting the camera into sleep mode would substantially increase standby time. Please keep us updated.

I have one of those switronix v-locks that shows time remaining at current power draw, so I'll see what that says next week when my camera is back. Might be more accurate to use the power adapter and an ammeter.

Normal Mode 2:00
Sleed Mode 2:03 - 2:10. I did not hear exactly when it shut off but it was less than 2h10min, maybe 2h5min.

This means you get roughly 4-5% longer up time if it is in sleep mode all the time. However realistically it will only be in sleed mode say 30% of the time and then you only get 1% longer battery time, maybe 2%

So to conclude, a tiny benefit that for mysellf would not be worth it.

paulcurtis
01-29-2019, 01:00 AM
This is interesting, cue some more tests. I thought power save dimmed the display and also ran internal stuff slower, so keeping the image going but less draw and processing. But if it's saving a few minutes then it's not really worth it then.

I'd had some hot buttons for this and did use them but never tested them.

Would be good to try sleep as well (although that does turn off the display and image so i would guess that really *would* last longer)

cheers
Paul

AndreasOberg
01-29-2019, 08:36 AM
Hiya Paul!
So this was the sleep mode which I had hoped would be the most aggresive. I will try the power save as well. Just takes a while to do the tests and you have to be sitting by the camera so it doesnt turn off when you are not around!

I'm testing various things as well. Testing the compression influence on image quality as well as different sensor temperatures.

Best,
Andreas

AndreasOberg
01-29-2019, 01:23 PM
On another note, got a reply from Red saying that 44C has the least noise on Helium
Cheers,
Andreas

Andy Maser
01-29-2019, 03:43 PM
I experimented with power save a bit and didn't really find it made any noticeable difference. Your test was a little more controlled than mine, so it's nice to have my rough test validated.

The other thing that I'm really curious about would be a (controlled) direct comparison of 7" LCD to EVF test in regards to power. How much more run time do you get if you ditch the screen for a eye piece, all other factors the same?

AndreasOberg
01-30-2019, 03:50 AM
I don't think the 7" monitor is a big % of the power draw. It uses 6 watts. Not sure what the body uses but surely much more.
Anyone knows? Should not be that hard to calculate. 150 battery 2 hours. Voltage is around 14V, what is the ampere draw?
Andreas

Robert Hofmeyr
01-30-2019, 06:53 AM
Assuming your battery is ideal and actually capable of supplying 150Wh then over 2 hours the monitor will have drawn 12Wh, or 8% of the total battery capacity.

I don't think the 7" monitor is a big % of the power draw. It uses 6 watts. Not sure what the body uses but surely much more.
Anyone knows? Should not be that hard to calculate. 150 battery 2 hours. Voltage is around 14V, what is the ampere draw?
Andreas

Robert Hofmeyr
02-11-2019, 10:33 AM
So I checked on my switronix battery. As far as I can tell, low power preview makes practically no difference (although I was using a 4.7", I assume it will have more of an effect with larger monitors). Sleep seems to give an extra 4% or so, as Andreas already noted.

Thanks Andreas, this is interesting. I assumed that putting the camera into sleep mode would substantially increase standby time. Please keep us updated.

I have one of those switronix v-locks that shows time remaining at current power draw, so I'll see what that says next week when my camera is back. Might be more accurate to use the power adapter and an ammeter.

AndreasOberg
02-17-2019, 09:43 AM
So I checked on my switronix battery. As far as I can tell, low power preview makes practically no difference (although I was using a 4.7", I assume it will have more of an effect with larger monitors). Sleep seems to give an extra 4% or so, as Andreas already noted.

That is good to know Robert. So not much point in using it currently