PDA

View Full Version : Grainy footage on RED Epic

Scott Welsch
02-19-2019, 08:10 PM
So yesterday I was out in the wild and the temperature dropped 30 degrees, but I was doing a timelapse and the footage got very very grainy. Now I am wondering, what's the best course of action in keeping the footage as clean as possible?
Also what is the easiest way to do ramping of a timelapse on a RED Epic Dragon?

All help is appreciated.

Björn Benckert
02-20-2019, 02:29 AM
Exposure, black shading, bitrate, recording mode and capture resolution is what dictates Grain. For time-lapse recording mode can improve things a lot.

There is ways to set up ramping going from one capturing frame rate to another over time with same exposure.

Scott Welsch
02-20-2019, 03:49 AM
Exposure, black shading, bitrate, recording mode and capture resolution is what dictates Grain. For time-lapse recording mode can improve things a lot.

There is ways to set up ramping going from one capturing frame rate to another over time with same exposure.

I did a black shade and it was fine but then temp dropped 2p or 30 degrees I had no time to do a second one unfortunately.
I did 6k hd, 6:1 compression. 1 fps 1/20th shutter.. is there just no getting around the grain when temps change that quickly?

Johnny Hurberg
02-20-2019, 04:56 AM
Whenever I shoot in cold conditions I bring a down jacket, start the camera up as soon as possible to get it up in temperature. After that I keep the jacket wrapped around the camera while shooting (keeping an eye on the temps and not blocking the vents). Manage to keep the camera in the 37 celcius area and no problem with grainy footage.

Björn Benckert
02-20-2019, 05:10 AM
Whenever I shoot in cold conditions I bring a down jacket, start the camera up as soon as possible to get it up in temperature. After that I keep the jacket wrapped around the camera while shooting (keeping an eye on the temps and not blocking the vents). Manage to keep the camera in the 37 celcius area and no problem with grainy footage.

Normally, I find that the camera gets up to temp if giving it time.

But yes, I guess if shooting timlapse for seriously long time and low frame rates, then possibly the camera is not getting hot enough to get to a good working temperature. But I shot in seriously cold weather with no issues and also with calibration indicator on red with dragon. But thats when light conditions where good. Basically the heavy noise shows when in low exposure. So good to bring down iso instead of ND or stopping down.

Russ Fill
02-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Just out of curiosity what were your settings on the camera when you started, and temp and then what were the conditions when you finished. It sounds like it was maybe a sunset setup?? In a colder environment?
Also if you post a R3D from the beginning and from the middle or near the end we might be able to get a better feeling for how much noise your talking about.
Did you use HDRx or thing about using the HDR setting? A lot of time-lapse I do I use this setting to help with the transition from dark to light or light to dark as you have 2 streams it give you a choice or even a way to blend, doing this can give you some where to go when the lights go out or come on.

Noise is sometimes subjective and one mans noise is another mans texture for the cine. If you know what I mean.