PDA

View Full Version : I need to try - need help

Christoffer Glans
08-22-2008, 05:10 AM
I'm gonna edit Red material this fall and I need to try the workflow for redcine - avid offline.

For this I need a built 16 r3d file that I can try out. Best would be if it also has sound.

Right now I have tested files from redrelay, but I don't know what built they are and I'm only getting noise out of redcine when trying to convert into DNxHD 720p files.

Need speedhelp...

Marcus Vasques Osorio
08-22-2008, 01:32 PM
AVID is working on a new codec that works with RED... currently DNXHD is all you will get form HD export

I hope it comes soon too...

mahvo

Christoffer Glans
08-22-2008, 01:53 PM
But DNxHD doesn't work either, I'm only getting noise...
Still is there any possibility to get a hold of a build 16 r3d file?

Gunleik Groven
08-22-2008, 02:24 PM
The RED ttols are ahead of AVIDS development cycle... :)

DNxHD out of the RED tools is simply not the way to go. DV or DVCPRO HD 720 together with metacheater or the ALE tools in redrushes are a better bet. Still a pita.

To which software is the online going?

G

michael_lucid
08-22-2008, 04:07 PM
As has been stated above...

DNxHD availability out of REDtools does not fully work. This is due to the tweaking of the DNxHD Codecs and REDCODE.

That being said, if you find the magic combo of codecs, the only success I've found is _M quality, not _H (out of REDRushes).

At this point, you need to let Avid import the _M file into DNx36 (or whatever flavor you want) - reliably.

Christoffer Glans
08-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Thing is that the playback is either black or just noise. If I "burn" in a timecode it shows up as "noised numbers" against a black background. The numbers are counting so there is playback, it's just screwed.

Online is FCP, but I'm not comfortable in FCP, that's why I need to offline in Avid. Figure I do an EDL out of Avid and with that they'll do the online.

Either way, I use redcine, metacheater to get an ALE and then I batch import. Thing is only that there is no picture and also I don't have a clue what to do with sound.

DNxHD is the Avid format, there isn't any DV format from what I've seen. There's 264's and such, but it seems that all of the formats generates black or noise. Actually, from the day I downloaded redcine, there hasn't been more then 1 clip that went through it but it was a superbad quality 264 file...

Anyone with a small build 16 r3d file with sound that I can download and try out? I think that the redrelay files are too old.

Wayne D
08-23-2008, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=Glazarus;273827]Online is FCP, but I'm not comfortable in FCP, that's why I need to offline in Avid.
QUOTE]

firstly - i love my avid. but if you are on a time / budget limitation my advice would be to get FCP and remap all the keys to mirror your personal avid user settings. when i do have to cut o FCP it useally takes about 1/2 a day to remap the old brain but then it is plain sailing......not with standding my lack of ability...

MichaelP
08-24-2008, 06:38 AM
There are two codec issues - The noise out of RedCine is an Avid QT issue which we hope to issue soon. We need to ensure that changes to the codec do not break all the other QT aware applications. Right now there are still some that don't like the changes made.

The issue of QT refs made by REDrushes and look very dark with a 2 color type of look when importing into Avid is a RED codec issue. That one has a workaround by transcoding via a third part application such as Compressor or MPEG Steamclip (www.squared5.com) first into the DNxHD codec of your choice. Both these applications allow you to see the full list of DNxHD codecs rather than just the DNxHD 175x/180x that the RED tools see at this time.

Michael

Anders Holck
08-24-2008, 07:15 AM
Michael,
What workflow is currently the best to get 10 bit SD PAL into a Symphony.
My understanding is that only DNXHD 10b or 16 bit tiffs transfers 10b bit information, and currently all other QT codecs will only be 8 bit RGB. Is this Correct?
I used to think that converting something into 1:1x would import as 10b but from the info I read, it doesn't.

So will a conversion in compressor from a 10b YUV quicktime to DNxHD 720x576 contain 10b data? Can you even make a SD QT using the DNxHD codec?

MichaelP
08-24-2008, 09:10 AM
If you import from the QT ref into Avid selecting 1:1 SD 10 bit, the media created will be 10bit. The issue seems to be whether the QT wrapper decodes all 10 bits before going into Avid. That is something I need to track down and it would be a decode issue on the RED side if it isn't working.

Going to a known interim 10bit format such as TIF seems to maintain the full 10 bits, then that is certainly a way to go, albeit the painful extra step.

REDrushes creates a 175x right now when selecting DNxHD, you could try that in Avid, then a transcode to 1:1 SD from there.

Michael

Joe Gill
08-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Red and the associated tools evolve incredibly quickly, so just shoot what you shoot and keep an eye on things here. Adobe, Avid and Apple are on to cater to the Red crowd and so by the time you are ready to post, there will be some real improvements in the post flow...