PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS R as Directors Viewfinder?

Tom Gleeson
04-03-2019, 12:36 AM
I was wondering if anyone was using the new Canon EOS R as a Directors Viewfinder? Shooting with a Monstro the sensor size would be very close in 16x9 and the articulated rear LCD would be very handy. With the EF to RF mount adaptor my CN-E lenses would work. In video mode the 1.8 crop makes it useless but I was wondering if the camera allows you to select 16x9 format when shooting stills? Is anyone using other Full frame cameras as Directors Viewfinders? Thanks in advance.

Jason Mavrokefalos
04-03-2019, 01:07 AM
In HD & stills (you can choose 16x9) mode the R doesn't crop (only in 4K or if you apply digital IS), so I think you're good.

Tom Gleeson
04-03-2019, 05:06 PM
Jason,

That is good news. Using Phil Hollands handy PHFX Tools the EOS R sensor is only a small 0.94x crop of the Monstro sensor in 8KHD but when using 8K2:1 or 8KWS the 41mm width of the Red sensor limits the value of the 36mm EOSR sensor. Most of my work is 8KHD so a minor bummer. Potentially you could use a zoom lens on the EOSR and match the FOV of your cinema lenses and markup those to the EOSR zoom. Jason do you own an EOSR? If so do you like it?

David Peterson
04-03-2019, 10:54 PM
Nah, get a Nikon Z6! No crop.

(and the 4K raw is an option from the Nikon Z6 if you want a really good B cam!)

Refah Mahmoud
04-03-2019, 11:01 PM
I bought the Z7 with this sort of thing in mind, but I've found the viewfinder/hdmi lag to be too much to be a workable cam for set. (6 frame delay vs 1 or 2 frame for Sony A7/mini/red)

Karim D. Ghantous
04-03-2019, 11:04 PM
Wow. Someone actually found a practical use for that camera.

Tom Gleeson
04-03-2019, 11:11 PM
Nah, get a Nikon Z6! No crop.

I am sure it is a good camera but not having an articulated LCD screen is a bummer as it is huge bonus when looking for your next shot as high and low angles are easily accessible when handholding on a set. I still have a few Nikon lenses as they are just so optically awesome but the reverse focus pulls do my head in.

Jason Mavrokefalos
04-04-2019, 12:13 AM
I'm actually waiting for it to be delivered next week, I ordered one for stills after selling my A7RII & 1DC just to see if it's as bad as they say :)

For your needs maybe an A7R II or III could work better since you can set the Sony sensor crop to small increments (x1.1, x1.2, x1.3, etc), not sure if the Nikon can do that. Otherwise a 0.05 crop is probably pretty workable like you said.

steve green
04-04-2019, 08:23 AM
I'm using my Sony A7S2 with a PL adapter, and the incremental cropping 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. I've matched the crop to the approximate frame size of 8KHD, 6KHD, 5KHD, and 4KHD. They work out pretty close, believe it or not.

Tom Gleeson
04-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Jason,

Please post your thoughts on the EOS R when you get a chance? thanks

Adam Johnson
04-04-2019, 11:40 PM
A truly laughable statement. Anyone that is a well trained DoP/ Camera Op can get a killer image out of the Canon EOS R. Hell that goes for the IPhone XS as well! The EOS R is an amazing little camera. I have two of them currently and I’m over the moon with the image quality. Much improved video over the 5D MKIV. The image matches my C200 extremely well and the uncompressed RAW to Ninja V is going to be a lovely feature upgrade. And the Rolling shutter is only an issue if you don’t know how to operate a camera. I’ve owned several RED’s over the years and have shot/ worked on major network feature films and tv shows. There are so many amazing camera options these days. But in the end technology is only part of the equation. Never forget ;)

Wow. Someone actually found a practical use for that camera.

Adam Johnson
04-04-2019, 11:44 PM
The EOS R is my favorite DSLR/ Mirrorless camera on the market currently. It’s an amazing camera. I have one that lives on my gimbal.

Jason,

Please post your thoughts on the EOS R when you get a chance? thanks

Karim D. Ghantous
04-05-2019, 02:01 AM
Hell that goes for the IPhone XS as well!

100%! The iPhone actually has a purpose. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GKHvaPyb_Y

https://indiefilmhustle.com/iphone-filmmaking-jason-van-genderen/