PDA

View Full Version : FRAUD

Attila Somos
04-23-2019, 04:27 AM
I WOULD LIKE TO LET EVERYBODY KNOW THAT JOHN LE FROM NASHVILLE , US STOLEN MY MONEY
I HAVE PAID FOR RED RAVEN AND HE DISAPPEARED WITH THE MONEY PLS BE VERY CAREFUL WITH HIM

IF SOMEBODY KNOWS HIME PLS LET ME KNOW I NEED HELP

RJ_Ortiz
04-23-2019, 06:04 AM
What was your method of payment? Did you negotiate through Reduser?

Attila Somos
04-23-2019, 06:29 AM
Normal money transfer and yes try to negotiate through Reduser.net

Attila Somos
04-23-2019, 06:44 AM
Is it possible to find him somehow?

Bastian Meier
04-23-2019, 07:41 AM
I guess that was the post and the camera:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?175283-Red-Raven-Package&p=1848760#post1848760

jordan levy
04-23-2019, 08:05 AM
oh man, tell me you paid with paypal or an escrow account, you didnt just wire transfer someone money???

jordan levy
04-23-2019, 08:08 AM
also a simple check on his latest posts looks like he has listed and sold this camera multiple times.
1/27 SOLD
1/29 relisted
etc...

Attila Somos
04-23-2019, 08:47 AM
No PAYPAL no escrow because I thought we are in one big family and registered by reduser.net I am in a safe position but I know already I have to be very careful next time

Attila Somos
04-23-2019, 08:47 AM
I guess that was the post and the camera:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?175283-Red-Raven-Package&p=1848760#post1848760
Yes corrcet that was the post

jordan levy
04-23-2019, 09:05 AM
No PAYPAL no escrow because I thought we are in one big family and registered by reduser.net I am in a safe position but I know already I have to be very careful next time

oh geez, yeah no, this is just a forum that anyone can join. there are scammers and thieves in here just like anywhere else.

though i say, and this should of happened long ago, that when posting something for sale there should be automatic watermark or foot note to the sale that reduser makes mandatory, that has some sort of warning, maybe a suggestion to use an escrow or protected form of payment. without this, yes, people like you are fooled if they havent dealt with buying and selling online before. it's sad.

what do you mean you are in a safe position? did you get your money back some how?

Brendan H. Banks
04-23-2019, 09:08 AM

Really sorry this happened. It seems there's been more scamming and taking advantage in the marketplace here, and in general for all video/photos sales groups. I've had to be more protective and careful in the last two years than prior. Hopefully there's some recourse for you, at the very least you'll know how to protect yourself next time.

Ketch Rossi
04-23-2019, 09:15 AM
I WOULD LIKE TO LET EVERYBODY KNOW THAT JOHN LE FROM NASHVILLE , US STOLEN MY MONEY
I HAVE PAID FOR RED RAVEN AND HE DISAPPEARED WITH THE MONEY PLS BE VERY CAREFUL WITH HIM

IF SOMEBODY KNOWS HIME PLS LET ME KNOW I NEED HELP

Sorry this has happen on this forum again!!

It's really a shame, but unfortunately scammer pray upon the honesty of most other Reduser.

I have been selling gear here for over a decade and received numerous International Wire Transfers, in the Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars, but I have been a well known Member of this community.

You, nor any one should never send money to any one without prior knowledge of the seller been an actual honest seller, and if not sure never send money, not even with Paypal, as I nicknamed them actually Scam-Pal too, and no longer use them as they failed miserably to protect any one but their own interests.

I am truly sorry about your loss of funds and aggravation this has and is causing you.

Attila Somos
04-23-2019, 09:18 AM
You are right anyway but too late I have lost my money I think
And no safe position I can t trust anybody after that

Geran Simpson
04-23-2019, 09:18 AM
I would never direct transfer money to anyone I don't know well personally. When buying always use a service and have an invoice.

If you read the marketplace guidelines -
#7) Do your homework. Online transactions carry an inherent risk. It is not for everyone. If you choose to engage in a private transaction with another member of REDuser please be aware that you do so at your own risk. This is a BUYER/SELLER BEWARE environment. Neither, REDuser.net, Landmine Media Inc, RED.com Inc, nor any of their subsidiaries shall be held responsible for what takes place in the marketplace. Do your homework. Google is your friend. Search email addresses, phone numbers, shipping addresses, etc. You may also contact me (Jason Ramsey) directly via pm if you would like for me to check for any possible red flags in the back-end. Please NOTE: Any contribution to your research that I may make should be considered unofficial, and is *not* definitive evidence of anything. It is merely information. I do so out of the kindness of my heart :) Replies are not guaranteed, but I will do my best. If I tell you I found a potential red flag, it does not necessarily mean that the buyer/seller in question is a scammer. If I tell you I did not see any red flags, it does not necessarily mean that the buyer/seller is legit. Any information I provide will be in an unofficial capacity, and without guarantee of any kind whatsoever.

and

#11) Be skeptical, but be respectful of each other. Don't publicly accuse people. Report the thread. Allow us to take a look at it. We want the users here to have as much information as possible when considering a transaction, but we must also walk the line of not allowing the marketplace to turn into a "bitch fest" where accusations fly freely and dominate the content of this section.

How do you know he stole your money? Did something happen to him maybe?

Hoping neither of these are the case and your situation resolves positively. I'm sorry to hear about this, it's every buyer's nightmare.

Ketch Rossi
04-23-2019, 09:19 AM
You are right anyway but too late I have lost my money I think
And no safe position I can t trust anybody after that

I know and for that I am sorry.

Bastian Meier
04-23-2019, 09:25 AM
with a normale wire transfer you have probably lost the money.
Try calling your bank, maybe also the bank where the money was transferred to.
make a report at the police.

I have both bought stuff and sold stuff over Reduser. Also bought stuff from Ketch Rossi a long time ago.
You really have to be careful with sales over the internet.

Attila Somos
04-23-2019, 09:30 AM
But what my bank can do if the money was transfered already they cant cal the money back I think

Attila Somos
04-23-2019, 09:34 AM
I am neraly 100% sure he was stolen my money because no any reaction from him and the phone number (+1 615-2663122 )what he was given is not working maybe the address was also fake

Geran Simpson
04-23-2019, 09:55 AM
How long has it been since you last talked and how long since you sent the payment?

Michael Wahba
04-23-2019, 04:55 PM
I've said this before. This forum NEEDS a proper two-factor verification system. With the amount of money that is moved through these forums, a simple forum registration is not enough.

I'm really sorry this happened man.

Ketch Rossi
04-23-2019, 05:32 PM
... Also bought stuff from Ketch Rossi a long time ago.
You really have to be careful with sales over the internet.

Yep, I still have your name on file :)

Yeah, this was actually the reason I started Brokering deals on Reduser, first assisting a Reduser seller with an other Reduser buyer as the middle man for FREE, where the seller would send me the Camera and or Gear and the buyer the Money, and then I would ship the Camera out and disburse the funds.

Then it got to be so much work that it actually ended up filling up one of my houses rooms I had to start charging a fee, and then become camera Broker by way of it.

The internet is a truly fantastic, yet also terribly vicious place. We get burned and we learn, I surely did, on all grounds.

AndreasOberg
04-23-2019, 06:25 PM
What is the best way to transfer money guys? We are going to sell our Epic and would be nice to know the best way. I used Transferwise before but this was from a very serious seller from here.

I am a bit worried to sell through Paypal, I once had a sale be reversed, so I basically got scammed the other way.

Andreas

Ketch Rossi
04-23-2019, 07:20 PM
What is the best way to transfer money guys? We are going to sell our Epic and would be nice to know the best way. I used Transferwise before but this was from a very serious seller from here.

I am a bit worried to sell through Paypal, I once had a sale be reversed, so I basically got scammed the other way.

Andreas

In truth there is only one BEST way, which is trough a known and respected Broker, otherwise you must either know in person the seller or known some one that does and that can vouch for him/her.

On FM user there is a rating system for Sellers and Buyers and it works great, wish that was available here too.

Jeffery Anderson
04-23-2019, 08:46 PM
the real answer is what Ketch said, in that he'd broker the deal

the board could make it mandatory to have a broker that charges a reasonable rate
e.g. Professional service that charges the seller $50 for items that sale for $500 and under, and a $100 for over that, up like $15,000

Possibly, there would be a situation where you'd have a judicial process if the buyer doesn't like the item for some reason and the question would be asked... what's a legit reason for returning something? Obviously, if a lens is scratched or camera doesn't power on, then the buyer returns the items and seller is refunded, but what if a seller is ignorant of the item and they say, well... this lens vignettes at 8k on my Monstero, or the Red Camera has 12000 hours, I didn't know that, I want to return.

hence, the service would have to be specific to escrow of money and item(s) and the not validate the property and abuse of the service(returns) would suspend or block a buyer

I believe Red had a way to send in your camera to be evaluated, during that time you could transfer ownership and the buyer could transfer the funds... not sure how many people ever used that.

Mandatory escrow would cost a few bucks, but even if it was short lived, it could scare away the thieves

Ketch Rossi
04-23-2019, 10:32 PM
the real answer is what Ketch said, in that he'd broker the deal

the board could make it mandatory to have a broker that charges a reasonable rate
e.g. Professional service that charges the seller $50 for items that sale for $500 and under, and a $100 for over that, up like $15,000

Possibly, there would be a situation where you'd have a judicial process if the buyer doesn't like the item for some reason and the question would be asked... what's a legit reason for returning something? Obviously, if a lens is scratched or camera doesn't power on, then the buyer returns the items and seller is refunded, but what if a seller is ignorant of the item and they say, well... this lens vignettes at 8k on my Monstero, or the Red Camera has 12000 hours, I didn't know that, I want to return.

hence, the service would have to be specific to escrow of money and item(s) and the not validate the property and abuse of the service(returns) would suspend or block a buyer

I believe Red had a way to send in your camera to be evaluated, during that time you could transfer ownership and the buyer could transfer the funds... not sure how many people ever used that.

Mandatory escrow would cost a few bucks, but even if it was short lived, it could scare away the thieves

Brokering fees, are a bit higher than that Jeffery, as those fees as you mentioned will literally not even cover Bank fees this days. Brokerage Fees range form 7.5% to 15%.

But there is two ways to go about it:

A: Seller ships camera to Broker, Broker evaluates and inspects the Camera, and Buyer sends the Money to Broker, then Broker sends the camera to Buyer and funds to Seller minus Broker's fees.

B: Seller ships the camera to Broker, Broker evaluates and inspects the Camera, and buyer sends the funds to Seller, and the fees to Broker, after which Broker sends the camera to Buyer.

C: Seller sends the camera to RED for evaluation, and Buyer sends the Money to Seller, and RED sends the camera to new Owner/Buyer after Transfer of Ownership approved.

While the last option is the trickiest is also one of the best, and it does cost only $100 or $600 if shipped with 90 Day Warranty, and it is only valid for RED Camera Brains Only, No accessories.

Christopher S Johnson
04-23-2019, 10:48 PM
I've said this before. This forum NEEDS a proper two-factor verification system. With the amount of money that is moved through these forums, a simple forum registration is not enough.

I'm really sorry this happened man.

I hear this every once in a while, and I think you guys truly misunderstand what this place is. It's only a message board. You think they want to take up the headache of policing these scam artists and put their credibility on the line? No way, why would they? They don't have the resources, and they don't have the incentive. It's your responsibility to be vigilant about your money. If people stopped sending money without escrow, these scammers wouldn't have a scam to perpetrate.

Jeffery Anderson
04-23-2019, 11:31 PM
Brokering fees, are a bit higher than that Jeffery, as those fees as you mentioned will literally not even cover Bank fees this days. Brokerage Fees range form 7.5% to 15%.

But there is two ways to go about it:

A: Seller ships camera to Broker, Broker evaluates and inspects the Camera, and Buyer sends the Money to Broker, then Broker sends the camera to Buyer and funds to Seller minus Broker's fees.

B: Seller ships the camera to Broker, Broker evaluates and inspects the Camera, and buyer sends the funds to Seller, and the fees to Broker, after which Broker sends the camera to Buyer.

C: Seller sends the camera to RED for evaluation, and Buyer sends the Money to Seller, and RED sends the camera to new Owner/Buyer after Transfer of Ownership approved.

While the last option is the trickiest is also one of the best, and it does cost only $100 or $600 if shipped with 90 Day Warranty, and it is only valid for RED Camera Brains Only, No accessories.

If the broker inspected it, then they could be liable for the item, only Red or a camera technician could really evaluate a camera, personally sounds like it could be trouble

I think the cheapest possible way would be the way most guys would do it... I think if it was simple just opened the box to make sure all the equipment is there and and cheap people would use it. Someone selling damaged goods, is less likely than what we see with the bank transfer scam.

but yeah, if RedUser.com made it mandatory, that company could charge whatever they want, but at that point you could use eBay and Paypal

Attila Somos
04-24-2019, 01:14 AM
How long has it been since you last talked and how long since you sent the payment?

Last answer was 2 weeks ago before easter holidays when I have sent the payment

Björn Benckert
04-24-2019, 01:30 AM
Not possible to hunt his IP adress from here?

Ketch Rossi
04-24-2019, 01:36 AM
If the broker inspected it, then they could be liable for the item, only Red or a camera technician could really evaluate a camera, personally sounds like it could be trouble

I think the cheapest possible way would be the way most guys would do it... I think if it was simple just opened the box to make sure all the equipment is there and and cheap people would use it. Someone selling damaged goods, is less likely than what we see with the bank transfer scam.

but yeah, if RedUser.com made it mandatory, that company could charge whatever they want, but at that point you could use eBay and Paypal

Correct Jeffery,
That is the only way I made all Brokering deals and assisted sales.

Thankfully to my expended knowledge of RED Cameras, I have the capacity to inspect and insure the camera is properly working, I even do internal element cleaning after inspection, but never braking original RED seals, then order any spare parts as needed and replace those and send out the camera in a as new conditions.

Those where my terms, and I did repaired our of pocket when issues arise after sale.

This is not what a Broker generally does, but I never was a regular Broker, I took my services and responsibility to assist fellow Reduser to the next step ;)

Troy Bakewell
05-16-2019, 03:54 PM
I've actually wired "strangers" money several times now, once over $25k, and have never been burned.

It can be risky when you don't know who you are dealing with. Obviously I won't wire anyone anything with some research on them. Google, websites, imdb, etc. In fact I think the first time I did this was with Ketch years ago on an old 18-85 RPZ. One time the seller casually mentioned he was on set for a certain low budget production. In addition to verifing website, imdb I actually called the production company and was able to contact the UPM on the show to get a reference.

I suppose there is always some risk but it's dramatically lower when you know more about the person you are dealing with.

Another trick is to see if they have sold anything else and the contact the buyer. Also a search of posts helps a lot too.

But yeah, always some risk involved.

Aaron michaels
05-20-2019, 08:36 PM
invoice, there is no choice..PayPal etc. Get burned they refund you and track down the person.