PDA

View Full Version : Can assimilate scratch support windows server OS?

muxy@oxygentec.com
08-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Hello,does assimilate SCRATCH can support Multi-CPU SYSTEM and lager memory on Windows Server?
i want to built a system including Quad AMD 8000 series and 16GB lager memory on windows server,because WinXP only supppot dual CPU whit 4GB max... i hope got better performance on x-san condition

Mark L. Pederson
08-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Hello,does assimilate SCRATCH can support Multi-CPU SYSTEM and lager memory on Windows Server?
i want to built a system including Quad AMD 8000 series and 16GB lager memory on windows server,because WinXP only supppot dual CPU whit 4GB max... i hope got better performance on x-san condition
we are running Windows Server with great success on our Scratch systems

Stacey Spears
08-28-2008, 06:06 PM
A 32-bit OS supports up to 4 GB of RAM. A 64-bit OS can support a lot more. SCRATCH is a 32-bit app and is only supported on 32-bit XP and Server 2003.

Normally you don't even get all 4 GBs on a 32-bit OS due to some remapping that occurs. Its anywhere from 2.75 to 3.2 GBs. However, with PAE (Physical Address Extension) you can get all 4 GB, if your motherboard supports it, assuming you have more than 4 GB to begin with.

If you are running Server 2003 Enterprise edition, you can have up to 32 GB in the machine. Each app is still limited to no more than 4 GB (really only 2 GB of addressible or 3 GB if you are using the /3GB switch), but you can run several hungy apps at once. I suspect After Effects could use this by running multiple processes where ea. gets its 4 GB chunck.

I thought I read that SCRATCH would use 3 GB if you use the /3GB switch, but I would need to double check the documentation.

I am hoping that by NAB 09 we see more native 64-bit support from all parties involved. Then we won't have to worry about memory for a while.

muxy@oxygentec.com
08-28-2008, 07:08 PM
for multi physical CPU support,how about ?apps can support quad CPU ?

Stacey Spears
08-28-2008, 07:17 PM
The number of cores/CPUs an app can support is up to the app. I believe the REDCODE RAW decoder is multi-threaded, so it can take advantage of multiple CPUs/Cores.

SCRATCH also uses the GPU on the graphics card for processing.

muxy@oxygentec.com
08-28-2008, 07:33 PM
about GPU,Dual .or.Quad GPU graphics card will be have better process efficacy when runing apps?for IO,i want use Ciprico 4400 of 4 FC, is't better one?

John Tissavary
08-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Only a single Nvidia card at a time is supported in Scratch - no SLI.

JT

Adam Glick
08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
4-way or 8-way (16 or 32 core) AMD Opteron 83xx platforms will not provide any better performance than highly tuned 8-core systems.

While the redcode.node is multithreaded, it does not scale linearly -and beyond 8-cores, the performance gains are marginalized.

Believe me, we've tried it on our APEXX systems (http://www.boxxtech.com/Products/APEXX/apexx8_overview.asp) without much luck.