PDA

View Full Version : RED DRAGON X 6K UPDATE

Codakchris
12-18-2019, 02:06 AM
I BET EVERYONE WILL BE IN THIS THREAD NOW !! THE NEW UPDATE FIXED MY COLOR ISSUES AND OVERLY GRAINY VIDEO , SO CLEAN AND CRISP NOW EVEN IN 5K . MY FIRST DRAGON X I HAD TO SEND BACK TO RED BECAUSE A BOARD ISSUE NOT RESPONDING TO MONITOR

Jacobo Martinez
12-18-2019, 06:25 AM
It would be amazing if Red releases a firmware upgrade for DMSC 1 Scarlet to 5K!

Mestizo Devon
12-18-2019, 06:35 AM
I BET EVERYONE WILL BE IN THIS THREAD NOW !! THE NEW UPDATE FIXED MY COLOR ISSUES AND OVERLY GRAINY VIDEO , SO CLEAN AND CRISP NOW EVEN IN 5K . MY FIRST DRAGON X I HAD TO SEND BACK TO RED BECAUSE A BOARD ISSUE NOT RESPONDING TO MONITOR 7.3 firmware snappy as well. Love to see a cleaned up interface....

Mike P.
12-18-2019, 01:18 PM
It would be amazing if Red releases a firmware upgrade for DMSC 1 Scarlet to 5K!

*deleted double post*

Mike P.
12-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Or at least 4.5k 24fps or 5KWS 😄 (which are lower data rate than 4k 30fps)

James Sielaff
12-23-2019, 01:16 AM
Or at least 4.5k 24fps or 5KWS �� (which are lower data rate than 4k 30fps)

I would have kept the SMX is that were a feature.

Aaron Green
12-23-2019, 02:15 AM
Loving this update. More for the 1.3x frame size than the 6K.

Seth Hahn
12-25-2019, 12:02 AM
I have a red weapon 6k dragon CF, just updated to the latest firmware 7.3.0 and still no ipp2 in the image tab just legacy, I assumed my camera is the same spec as the dragon X 6k, is there additional hardware needed to enable
Ipp2 in camera? .... Anyone have any thoughts? ...much appreciated

Phil Holland
12-25-2019, 01:22 AM
I have a red weapon 6k dragon CF, just updated to the latest firmware 7.3.0 and still no ipp2 in the image tab just legacy, I assumed my camera is the same spec as the dragon X 6k, is there additional hardware needed to enable
Ipp2 in camera? .... Anyone have any thoughts? ...much appreciated

Unfortunately yes. The camera brains that benefit from this straight to IPP2 update already suppport it. It requires new boards. I don't what to call it DSMC2.5, but the newer camera brains post the "OG Dragon Weapon 6K upgrade" have the hardware to do so. It just happened later in the timeline.

Roberto Leone
12-25-2019, 05:32 AM
Could someone let me know the crop factor of the dragon x 6k compared with gemini 5k (both full frame)

Daniel Jocher
12-25-2019, 05:33 AM
http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/formatCompare.cgi?makeA=RED&modelA=Dragon+6K+S35&formatA=6K+FF&makeB=RED&modelB=Gemini+5K+S35&formatB=5K+1.7%3A1&focalLengths=

Roberto Leone
12-25-2019, 05:53 AM
Thanks!!

Seth Hahn
12-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Great thanks for the reply Phil!!! curious if the boards can be updated for a reasonable price? And would there be any benefit to doing so other than ipp2 monitoring in camera? better processing perhaps?

Thanks

Robert Hofmeyr
12-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Great thanks for the reply Phil!!! curious if the boards can be updated for a reasonable price? And would there be any benefit to doing so other than ipp2 monitoring in camera? better processing perhaps?

Thanks

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can upgrade the boards for ~$5K and you will get IPP2 in camera and slightly lower compression ratios (at least I think this is the case for my Weapon Mg). What I have not been able to establish is whether the "DSMC2.5" upgrade is necessary to stay in the running for future updates, but in general Red has been pretty generous about giving older cameras upgrade paths.

Suresh Kara
12-27-2019, 12:58 AM
I would really like to know the spec on Komodo before pulling the trigger on the upgrade which seems like a great deal but the unknown is really annoying. Duel iso is the main feature i would live to have

Suresh Kara
12-27-2019, 01:26 AM
Also does anyone know if the sigma 18 to 35 and 50 to 100 will be ok on the 6k cheers Suresh

Chris Jablonski
12-27-2019, 04:15 AM
18-35 is looking clear from 22/23mm onwards from my brief test.

Suresh Kara
01-08-2020, 09:19 AM
just got the call for my upgrade and still don't know what to do?

anyone got there dragon x yet?

Thomas Buchan
01-08-2020, 11:16 AM
So far the firmware seems solid, a little bit more magic in the image : ) First shoot on tonight - will update if any issues appear.

Josh Birch
01-08-2020, 02:43 PM
Mine is with RED currently. Looking forward to having it back. What do you currently have?

just got the call for my upgrade and still don't know what to do?

anyone got there dragon x yet?

davidreimers
01-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Iím going to drop off my SW on Monday. Hoping the turn around time wonít be too long as I got a shoot coming up 3 weeks later.

Curious how long it took for others that already have received their DragonX 6K?

Ron Kurokawa
01-10-2020, 06:55 PM
Iím going to drop off my SW on Monday. Hoping the turn around time wonít be too long as I got a shoot coming up 3 weeks later.

Curious how long it took for others that already have received their DragonX 6K?

Sent mine in Dec 17th and got it back Jan 8th!
But that was during all the holidays.

davidreimers
01-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Thatís pretty swift considering the holidays. Thanks.

Josh Birch
01-12-2020, 10:11 AM
How you enjoying it? Did you switch from Scarlet-W?

Sent mine in Dec 17th and got it back Jan 8th!
But that was during all the holidays.

Ron Kurokawa
01-17-2020, 12:01 AM
How you enjoying it? Did you switch from Scarlet-W?

Yeah coming from SW, Iím loving it. I may still be in the honeymoon phase but Iím so happy.

Darius Lyles
01-18-2020, 11:23 AM
Outside of the extra K, iPP2 and the higher frame rates what else are you seeing that puts you in he honeymoon phase? I am trying to decide if I want to spend 12K give or take a few on Dragon X and a Komodo or just rock with the Scarlet and Komodo and wait for whatever DSMC3.

Aaron Green
01-19-2020, 06:42 AM
Heres a frame from a commercial that I shot with the 6k update, 2x anamorphic.

https://i.imgur.com/4W6Hqaa.jpg

Juan Francisco Calero
01-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Beautiful image, Aaron! Glad youíre enjoying already your new Dragon

Josh Birch
01-20-2020, 01:08 PM
Got mine back today, very pleased with the update :)

Darius Lyles
01-20-2020, 04:43 PM
Still on the fence about the update

Josh Birch
01-21-2020, 02:49 AM
Although I am surprised they didn't reset the hours meter

Christopher S Johnson
01-21-2020, 11:06 AM
Although I am surprised they didn't reset the hours meter

It's funny, as insignificant as that might seem, that was my main interest. I thought I was essentially getting a new camera.

Josh Birch
01-21-2020, 12:07 PM
Haha me too. I thought this would be the case because I thought it was a new sensor going in?

It's funny, as insignificant as that might seem, that was my main interest. I thought I was essentially getting a new camera.

Matt Hall
01-21-2020, 07:53 PM
Should I be expecting an email confirm or something right after filling out the upgrade request? In my delirium (due to the late hour and sudden excitement of seeing the upgrade path explained on RU) Iím second guessing myself about whether or not I filled it out correctly or left out some pivotal, vitally important piece of information.

Juan Francisco Calero
01-22-2020, 08:59 AM
Donít expect anything.
Theyíll contact you when they are ready for you sending your camera.
But theyíre very nice if you contact them if you have any doubt, including the confirmation that you are in the list

Matt stambaugh
01-25-2020, 04:42 PM
So I currently have a Gemini, but had a scarlet-w as a b camera. Sold that months ago and got a pocket. Fast forward to now, I bought a dragon-x as a b camera and holy smokes. THIS THING IS STRAIGHT FIRE. I feel like it's way more sensitive in Low Light than the dragon x was.

Adrian Weinbrecht
01-25-2020, 11:47 PM
Hey Matt

How much more sensitive would you say Dragon-X is compared to Dragon X ? Also, How does is compare with Gemini ?

We still have 2x DSMC I Dragons and I must admit I love them, but I’ve been looking at Gemini and new Dragons.......

Thanks !

Fahnon Bennett
01-26-2020, 07:43 AM
So I currently have a Gemini, but had a scarlet-w as a b camera. Sold that months ago and got a pocket. Fast forward to now, I bought a dragon-x as a b camera and holy smokes. THIS THING IS STRAIGHT FIRE. I feel like it's way more sensitive in Low Light than the dragon x was.

Wonder if you could shed some light on why youíre so much more excited about the DX than it sounds like you were about the SW? Iíd think the differences would be fairly minimal, no?

RobMNeilson
01-26-2020, 08:17 AM
I've been very happy with the update....

Though now I'm on the fence whether I should just keep the Dragon X for awhile, or upgrade to Gemini?? Any other Dragon X owners in the same spot?

Remsy Atassi
01-26-2020, 09:20 AM
Wonder if you could shed some light on why youíre so much more excited about the DX than it sounds like you were about the SW? Iíd think the differences would be fairly minimal, no?

When I went from Raven to S-W it felt like a huge upgrade. ISO performance was probably about 30% better plus the wider FOV. This is about the same increase in sensor size, plus much better frame rates.

I think it was a nice move on REDs part to offer something like this and wanted to support. Of course itís much easier to sign the list than pony up the cash plus 3 weeks of downtime. But thereís nobody else in this class of professional cameras who would offer something like this.

I totally get wanting to wait for Komodo ó but itís still unclear what exactly it will be, how much it will cost, and I bet it will be at least a year before itís in stock. DSMC3 will be insanely expensive no doubt.

Sounds like my dragon will be back next week so hopefully itís good!

davidreimers
01-27-2020, 03:00 PM
Got the DragonX 6K today back from SW upgrade.

Dropped off on 1/13 received back on 1/27.

Hour meter and serial number is the same indeed.

Canít wait to get it out there now...

Kristin Stewart
01-29-2020, 12:06 AM
Can anyone tell me please : when one shoots at 5K with the upgraded Dragon-X 6K if the picture looks exactly the same (crop factor, dynamic range) as the Scarlet-W at 5K ?

Thank you !

Kristin

Christopher S Johnson
01-29-2020, 04:02 PM
Yup. Doesn't matter if it's a 4.5k Raven, or an 8k Dragon Weapon, if it's a Dragon sensor at the same size, and same compression, it's the same image.

Kristin Stewart
01-30-2020, 03:41 AM
Thanks Christopher :-)

Kristin

Matt stambaugh
01-31-2020, 05:22 AM
Hey Matt

How much more sensitive would you say Dragon-X is compared to Dragon X ? Also, How does is compare with Gemini ?

We still have 2x DSMC I Dragons and I must admit I love them, but Iíve been looking at Gemini and new Dragons.......

Thanks !

After shooting with the Gemini and the Dragon-x with thew new firmware update, I'm personally finding them comparable in the normal ISO range in terms of light sensitivity. I haven't shot both yet on the same project, but just helped shoot an AD for a local college with the Dragon-x and I was SO impressed. In scenes that were so low light, I was able to be in the 250-640 range in a locker room primarily backlit by an Arri M8.

There's something special about the Dragon sensor and I really feel the Dragon-x makes it sing. I was a little skeptical coming from a Scarlet-W as a B camera to the gemini but feel the Dragon-X could almost easily replace the Gemini for me personally. Although they both have their places...

Darius Lyles
03-26-2020, 10:58 AM
I finally signed up for this upgrade and the earliest window is the end of May, I guess I messed around too long.

William Long
03-26-2020, 11:07 AM
I upgraded from Scarlet-W and can't be happier ... well maybe if somebody gave me a Monstro! :))

Arman Safari
03-26-2020, 12:21 PM
Would anyone be able to fill me in on what this upgrade is and its cost?
I purchased my Dragon X DSMC1 back in August 2018, curious what this is about.

Patrick Tresch
03-26-2020, 12:45 PM
Dragon X DSMC1

What is that?

Christopher S Johnson
03-27-2020, 09:41 PM
Do you get a report detailing what they did in the upgrade? I would love to know what parts were fully replaced and what was left over from your SW.

Ivan Verlaan
03-28-2020, 09:07 AM
Do you get a report detailing what they did in the upgrade? I would love to know what parts were fully replaced and what was left over from your SW.

I didn't get a report back - just the camera body.

Devindra S.
04-11-2020, 08:55 PM
nope image is bigger, i had some lenses that didn't vignette before the upgrade and now they do, 18mm lomo standard speed portholes and the 28mm vignettes ever so slightly at 6k full format.