PDA

View Full Version : RedLine to .m4v anyone?

Mark L. Pederson
09-02-2008, 05:41 PM
okay, who can save me a few hours of tinkering?

how can I render, using Redline to .m4v files for the iPhone?

render to H264 ... then ..?

show me the shell !

Nick Shaw
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I've been trying to work out the same thing. I don't think it's possible unless Red add 'iPhone' to the output options for Redline (hint!) It seems the H264s that Redline exports are not compatible with the very specific requirements of the iPhone. The quickest way I've found of creating iPhone files is batch converting the proxies using MPEG Streamclip, but then you don't get the option to burn in timecode etc as you would in Redline

Hans-Georg Daun
09-03-2008, 12:16 PM
okay, who can save me a few hours of tinkering?

how can I render, using Redline to .m4v files for the iPhone?

show me the shell !

Have you tried the "Export Movies" action in Automator ?
It seems to work ok.
(on it's own; doesn't seem to work if used in an Automator workflow after the REDrender action)

Cheers Hans

Mark L. Pederson
09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
It seems to work ok.
(on it's own; doesn't seem to work if used in an Automator workflow after the REDrender action)

Cheers Hans

Hmmmmm ..... can you reverse engineer that?

I want a shell script that does it.

BASSAM MSSALATIE
09-03-2008, 01:24 PM

show me the shell !

Afterthat you can export from QT players (export for the web , i phone)

fast_boy
09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Does the quicktime actually have shell script style? If it doesn't you could use x264. Your shell script could pass the redline export results to it for iphone encoding.

The results can be really good but there's quite a bit of mucking round to set it up.

Actually unless it was something you were doing really regularly it'd probably be quicker to go the file>export route in quicktime :usd:

Nick Shaw
09-03-2008, 04:37 PM

Have you actually got that to produce something which will play on an iPhone? I have not tested it, but I think since all the Automator action does is pass parameters to Redline, and the H264 option in Redline is not iPhone compatible I can't see it working.

The most efficient I've got is to use RedRushes to do a quarter rez decode to ProRes (good for editorial) with BITC, which is close to real-time on an 8-core Mac Pro. Then I use MPEG Streamclip to make an iPhone MP4 from that, which is twice as fast as real-time on the 8-core. Not bad overall, and now RedRushes does audio it's even better.

Hans-Georg Daun
09-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Have you actually got that to produce something which will play on an iPhone? I have not tested it, but I think since all the Automator action does is pass parameters to Redline, and the H264 option in Redline is not iPhone compatible I can't see it working.

The most efficient I've got is to use RedRushes to do a quarter rez decode to ProRes (good for editorial) with BITC, which is close to real-time on an 8-core Mac Pro. Then I use MPEG Streamclip to make an iPhone MP4 from that, which is twice as fast as real-time on the 8-core. Not bad overall, and now RedRushes does audio it's even better.

I don't have an iPhone yet, but exporting an H.264 file generated by REDrender from QuickTime Player using "movie to iPhone" does produce a file that plays back ok on my latest model iPod classic.

Cheers
Hans

Luis Ortiz
09-03-2008, 10:20 PM
From QT export as "Movie to iphone". It'll make it a M4V file. Open M4V using itunes. Then sync the iphone.

Nick Shaw
09-04-2008, 01:43 AM
I obviously can't speak for Mark, but what I am looking for is a way to convert R3D files to iPhone format in a single pass. Everything people are describing involves either converting to an intermediate format (which means more time and two generations of re-compression) or working from the proxies. I know I can do that, as I decribe in post #7. I'm looking for something more efficient.

Mark L. Pederson
09-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I obviously can't speak for Mark, but what I am looking for is a way to convert R3D files to iPhone format in a single pass. Everything people are describing involves either converting to an intermediate format (which means more time and two generations of re-compression) or working from the proxies. I know I can do that, as I decribe in post #7. I'm looking for something more efficient.
well a 2-pass encode if fine for me - just ONE OR TWO LINES OF SHELL to get there from REDLINE -

I'll send a gift basket to whoever solves this one - and I take my gift baskets seriously ...

Alex Carr
09-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Compressor to m4v using Proxies...

Thats the only single pass available without a shell, plus you would need to implement iphone requirements into the shell.

Search your Day 5 folder for _P proxies and batch them in Compressor with BITC