PDA

View Full Version : Excited for Scarlet-W > Dragon-X Ugrade!

Benjamin Reece
02-11-2020, 05:25 PM
I know everyone is stoked on the Komodo coming out- and I'm all for light cameras but its not why I own a RED. Love the heavy movements / feel- you can see it accentuated in Ethan's blind camera test where the Sigma FP looks really consumerish just by the weight of the camera.

I'm excited to support RED and for them to support me through the upgrade program. I want to say thank you to RED for offering this. It has always been a dream to own a RED and I really about to unleash the Dragon sensor in a whole new way for me- excited.

Anyway, can't wait to be "in the club" with a proper current line-up camera. I'm hopeful this insures a better upgrade path for DMSC3 as I intend to stick with RED as long as they stay passionate about this market: pro cinema filmmakers.

Jarred, Phil, and all those who give so much to this community, a huge thank you.

Christophe Deshoux
02-12-2020, 04:15 AM
Hello Benjamin, like you I think that the weight of the camera (I am also the proud owner of a Scarlet-W) is important.
What I don't understand is the euphoria around the Komodo, with these guys selling their cameras…
It is obvious that this is no accident.
That said, I can understand the sales of the Raven ... even if it has the Dragon sensor, which for me remains the current major advantage of Red cameras.
But for the Sarlet-W, I don't understand.

With the Komodo, Red makes a fairly (very?) Risky historic bet.
First for a reason: Global Shutter.
Personally, it's the only thing that will interest me, a global shutter, provided you not only have the dynamic range of Dragon sensors, but also have the cinema rendering that has largely made the success of Red.
(the rendering of a Red one MX is still far superior to most current cameras…)
To check what the Komodo will have in the belly in the real world, we know, it's classic, it will take time, many tests in the field…

If Red managed to obtain a Global shutter with a DR of +16, with a rendering identical to the Dragon ... then success will be assured.
And it seems that it looks good…

In the meantime, the Scarlet-W remains one of the best cinema cameras in the world.

Roberto Leone
02-15-2020, 09:43 AM
I sent my Scarlet-w for the Dragon X upgrade, will they replace the entire body with new Dragon X body + label?

Petar Smilajkov
02-21-2020, 05:14 PM
I sent my Scarlet-w for the Dragon X upgrade, will they replace the entire body with new Dragon X body + label?

From everything Iíve read - you should be getting a brand new DSMC2 with Dragon-X.

Petar Smilajkov
02-21-2020, 05:31 PM
Ah. I think I found it.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?179123-6K-Dragon-X-DSMC2-Petition!&p=1879932&viewfull=1#post1879932

no no you get a whole new Dragon X body ( mechanicals ) that say Dragon 6K on them just like if you bought a new Dragon X 6k. Some newer Scarlet W's we can use the sensors and majority of the boards, some we will need to replace. But yes you get a new Dragon X body. Thats the majority of the cost of the upgrade since we get to reuse so much of the insides.

This may all change though if we need to make more Dragon 6k sensors and they take a yield hit at the fab... we just removed any error buffer we have going from 5k to 6k so there is now zero margin for error.

Roberto Leone
02-22-2020, 09:15 AM
Ah. I think I found it.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?179123-6K-Dragon-X-DSMC2-Petition!&p=1879932&viewfull=1#post1879932

ok thanks! Do you think they will reset the counter too?

Petar Smilajkov
02-23-2020, 08:31 AM

If you are getting a new system, I'd guess it should have 0 hours.

Josh Birch
02-24-2020, 02:59 AM
no they don't unfortunately

Benjamin Reece
02-24-2020, 07:25 PM
Yes, I was curious on the sensors they have to replace if it would get a hours reset. However that could create some real upgrade problems for users who don't get a sensor replacement (the ones that already work edge to edge on 6K)

I'm happy either way!

Maira Fravel
03-05-2020, 10:11 PM
I read it and I believe you should be a new one, maybe the latest version.

Benjamin Reece
07-30-2020, 08:31 PM
Edit: Sent off! Dropping it off at my local dealer tomorrow! Covid threw the timing off big time but grateful.