PDA

View Full Version : My wish list...

Peter Majtan
09-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Jim, here is my one peso of what I personally would like to see on the DSMC:

* Interchangeable lens mount ala "BirgerIMS"
- most (if not all) pro photographers invest a ton into their lenses and keep them for a very long time - unlike the body. You should offer an upgrade path where they are able to buy the RED DSMC body and use their existing lenses... (hence IMS)
- Nikon & Canon mounts are an absolute minimum, but they must allow for full electronic control of Iris, AF, TTL metering, OIS and other features currently available on the most commonly used lenses directly on the camera body... (similar to Briger)

* F35mm sensor (Full Frame 35mm Still Format)
- going any bigger and most current 35mm DSLR owners won't be interested due to the lack of compatibility for their existing lenses...
- if You want to go bigger (such as medium or large format), please make it either a separate model, or in a form of interchangeable sensor cartridge. This way one could "stick-in" medium format sensor with appropriate lens mount and use his camera for such a purpose. Then swap the sensor for 35mm and relevant lens mount and use it for that purpose... This would be indeed revolutionary. User can chose huge image size/resolution with lower frame rate (or even single still only), or smaller size/resolution with higher frame rate as required...

* HDRI sensor
- the DR has to be out of this world :alien:
- automatic multiple exposure mode that combines the data to single HDRI RAW image (no need to do this manually in post), similar to ARRISCAN
- "Auto-stretch" HDRI mode - to stretch the data between absolute black & absolute white to maximize the use of the available bit depth. User selectable of course, this function maximize the RAW data quality with maybe a meta-tag stating the original darkest & brightest points values as reference for post...

* Detachable control panel ala EPIC
- this will allow for wireless remote control of the camera for wildlife or any other situations requiring hands off the camera...
- ideally the panel should feature the LCD image with "Live View" transmitted from the body so we can see what we are about to capture...

* WiFi data transmission
- wireless transmission of the RAW image data for remote data capturing / backup
- allow full control from WiFi equipped PC/Mac with image capture directly within the SW (ala Canon)

* Compatibility with internal/external large capacity recording media
- to allow for long-term recordings, such as timelapse, video, etc...
- ideally it should feature at least 256GB internal SSD drive...

* Weather-sealed, including lens mount
- should be able to withstand direct exposure to rain and brief submersion in a water...
- definitely dust-proof with self-cleaning sensor...

* Weapons-grade aluminum/magnesium/titanium construction
- I should be able to defend myself with the camera against a charging rhino and have to worry more about hurting the rhino then damaging the camera... :)

* Ergonomical
- I don't have to elaborate here...

* Not too small, or light
- robust solid construction that aids with stability

These are just a few things that come from top of my head...
Of course I don't expect any feedback...

:) Peter

EDIT-01: As Shawn correctly pointed out - Instant recording from cold power-on (ala current DSLR's...). Basicaly be able to take a picture within 5 sec from a cold start...

Alex.Mitchell
09-08-2008, 10:26 PM
If the Red One can mount pretty much any kind of still glass available today or in the past, it'd be kinda weird to if their still camera couldn't. I'm sure there'll be something in place to let us all use our favourite glass, though maybe they're thinking about doing something a little different?

Rob Martin
09-08-2008, 10:26 PM
don;t forget GPS

Shawn Nelson
09-08-2008, 10:37 PM
dang, that's a good list!

ditto on the GPS, I read that the GPS chips are $3 now. I'm surprised there isn't a 'GPS Module' for the Red already.

Rob Martin
09-08-2008, 10:43 PM
upgradeable sensor and boards......... do we take as read (red) ????

stuff this paying 8000 every two years for a new 1Ds!!!!

Brook Willard
09-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Here are a few of my instant requests.

I'd like a rapidly interchangeable mount system. I'd love to be able to switch from Canon to Nikon in a matter of seconds. Because still cameras autofocus with sharpness instead of distance, the collimation won't be an issue. Lens mount quick release.

Obviously the sensor would be eight-perf, but it'd be nice if there was a 1.5x "crop" mode where we could use lenses designed for cropped SLRs without needing to manually crop the images in post.

I'd assume that the processing would be native to Adobe Camera RAW. I don't want to have to use special software... I want to use Photoshop!

I also assume that the RAW capture will be uncompressed. REDCODE is great and all, but it's still compression. For stills work, there has to be an uncompressed option. I'm sure this is a given.

Cool stuff... it'll be fun to see what the guys come up with.

Paolo Tinari
09-08-2008, 11:48 PM
highest sync speed ever

Jared Caldwell
09-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Well, I was wondering if it is out of the realm of possibilities to have a sensor greater than the standard 35mm still format...

I know that people would frown on not being able to use all of their invested glass on DSMC, but it seems that if this is going to revolutionize the still camera industry, I think having a much larger sensor could be part of that.

Cropping this *much* larger sensor to 35mm still could be an option to please those who have already invested in glass, while using the full area of the sensor with a new line of RED lenses would provide more options to those who want it.

In order to be more of a revolution to the DSLR world than the RED ONE is to the cinema world, it seems to me you would have to go with a larger sensor with more resolution, just to start.

No doubt that DSMC will be a part the new Monstro program. With this new larger sensor, it should have unparalleled DR, noise reduction, etc.

Also uncompressed RAW.

In the "moving images" realm, this is where things seem a little bit tricky. We don't know the price point of DSMC yet, but I would assume that $10k is the very very max that RED would sell it for, which puts it between Scarlet and the RED ONE (unless it is much cheaper! :)). How do you make a still camera with a moving image feature that you would actually want to use (unlike the D90...pft...) without competing with Scarlet and the RED ONE?

You could limit the framerate, but then again, hasn't the framerate always been one of the big issues? It seems in order to have a DSLR revolution, you would want to burst that mold.

You could limit resolution, but that doesn't really jive with what RED is doing right now.

Really, I am scratching my head on the moving image capabilities of DSMC. It seems you would have to place limits on it in order to not compete with Scarlet and the RED ONE, and as we all know, RED is not about placing limits....they are about breaking them...

oxred
09-09-2008, 02:13 AM
1. Put whatever nice things you want to put inside, but make it look SIMPLE - as simple and elegant as the Leica M series.

Please don't make a DSLR that looks like out-of-this-world and draw unnecessary attention from people/on-lookers. When I go out with my Canon gear , people look at me and say, 'wow , you are a serious photographer.' but when I go out with my Leica MP , people don't take a note of it; a friend said,' it's looks like a cheap camera.' that makes life easier.

2. Modular approach : I like basic stuff , but if people like to add all kinds of bells and whistle , let them have the option to add those. but the core should be PURE basic photography.

3. BLUE SKY approach to lens design: why go on using older lens from other companies ? I too have a good collection of Canon L, Leica, Zeiss [C/Y and ZM], OM Zuiko lenses, but would like to rationalise the whole system [i.e. sell the old stuff] if I am given extraordinary primes and zooms- crisp neutral colour, 3D-ish look, rest as usual.

smaller, lighter lens are more than welcome. not the heavy Canon (70-200/2.8 is )/Nikon (14-24mm!!!) approach ... again think Leica. so give us new lenses of not more than 350gms each.

4. upgradeable, etc etc .. as others have mentioned.

Chris Pickle
09-09-2008, 04:13 AM
make it as small as possible!!!!

shaunt
09-09-2008, 05:05 AM
I am a complete newbie when it come to video production/photography and a few months ago I learned about the Scarlet and I have been excited about it ever since, but I think this DSLR could actually be better than the Scarlet.

On a post by Stu Maschwitz at http://www.prolost.blogspot.com/ he talks about the Nikon DSLR being able to shoot video and what this trend can mean for the videographer. If Red takes this new camera in the direction that Stu thinks these types of cameras should go, wouldn't that indeed be a Scarlet killer? Even if it didn't shoot 3K, but if it shot 2K or even at Full HD resolution and be able to be hot swappable with CF cards so you can do continuous shooting, unlike Nikon's which I think you can only shoot video for a limited amount of time, and have multiple frame rates and full manual controls in video mode, which would be great, how could this not kill the Scarlet?

You'd have a better sensor, more dynamic range, more DOF, interchangeable lenses, the only trade off might be resolution, but when it comes to all the other gains I think I would gladly make that trade off. I just hope it wont be more expensive than the Scarlet.

Those are my 2 cents for whatever they are worth,

Shaun

Mark Thorpe
09-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Will there also be a speedlite, flashgun to accompany the DSMC, sounds like a military application!! If so, massive sync speed into the 1000th/s.

Weather sealed to splash proof even like the Olympus P&S range that are good to 5m depth in the Ocean.

Laser Range Finder

GPS

Multi lens mount option with Smart capability (3rd party vendors no doubt)

Ergonomic

GIR
09-09-2008, 06:48 AM
* HDRI sensor
- the DR has to be out of this world :alien:
- automatic multiple exposure mode that combines the data to single HDRI RAW image (no need to do this manually in post), similar to ARRISCAN
- "Auto-stretch" HDRI mode - to stretch the data between absolute black & absolute white to maximize the use of the available bit depth. User selectable of course, this function maximize the RAW data quality with maybe a meta-tag stating the original darkest & brightest points values as reference for post...
This would be a welcome feature, I've been doing HDR photography for the last year or so and as much as I enjoy it processing the images can be a bit of a nose bleed sometimes.

* Compatibility with internal/external large capacity recording media
- to allow for long-term recordings, such as timelapse, video, etc...
- ideally it should feature at least 256GB internal SSD drive...
Hopefully USB 3.0

* Weapons-grade aluminum/magnesium/titanium construction
- I should be able to defend myself with the camera against a charging rhino and have to worry more about hurting the rhino then damaging the camera... :)
This is something else that I agree with, in my country we have koalas that have developed a taste for blood, it would be nice to have something to club them with when taking photos out in the bush.

Hrvoje Simic
09-09-2008, 07:46 AM
HDMI 1.3 and live feed.

Joseph Ward
09-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Stereoscopic compatible!:w00t:

Esteban Sosnitsky
09-09-2008, 08:28 AM
-No 35mm full frame 6x4.5!!! Medium Format!!!
-HDR, highest dynamic range ever.
-Sync speed up to at least 1/1000th
-Open lens platform (nikon, canon, zeiss, red)
-TTL exposure
-WiFi capabilities
-Live Feed
-AF Focus Assist (one that doesnt suck)
-GPS
:)

Simon Valderrama
09-09-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm tired of the DSLR market focusing only on resolution and megapixels.
In my company we also work on image editing for printed ads and fashion and right now the files we receive from photographers are way bigger than anyone would ever need for any purpose. An example the files from the newest Imacon H3 are just too much. We just slow down our computers for details no one will ever see when the ad will be printed anywhere ...
What we need is DR, or even more HDR. We want to capture every nuance our naked eye can perceive and even more.
Sure megapixels are easier to sell, like Mhz for microprocessors, because just give a big number to put on the product sticker ( ... and now, 60 MPixels!! Whoaa!), but that's just consumerism, not often people need to print an ad big as the Empire State Building.
What people really need is being able to capture every moment of nature without worrying about the photo coming out blurred because there's not enough light.
Also, it would have a great creativity impact being able to use continuous lighting in fashion shoots, thanks to greater DR and sensitivity ...
low energy consumption also would be great, those DSLR batteries always running out ....

J. Bernard Vallon
09-09-2008, 09:47 AM
People want to use existing glass...but if the sensor was 36mm x 36mm square, we could use all existing nikon, canon, leica, whatever glass and get a larger image out of it. Just a thought. (Id buy)

-J

Jim Hoffman
09-09-2008, 09:56 AM
I love the ability to switch from an all on autofocus to an thumb selectable point or group of points and back again. The idea to be able to rapidly switch to get the shot you need fast. If there could be a user definable autofocus point priority or weighting that would be cool.

If you really wanted to go crazy you could incorporate a pupil tracking/priority for autofocus.

Oh - and if it could carry itself and put itself away that would be cool too.

Eric Lange
09-09-2008, 10:15 AM
DSMC WISH LIST

BIG PICTURE

1. Would like to see that this sensor HW/SW to be open.

The major implications of an open high end system is that RED ONE will become to the 21st Century what KODAK was to the 20th. It is embarrassing that apart from the RED ONE, AFAIK there are no serious stills cameras that are designed built and manufactured in the USA. If the new RED unit is open it will enable smaller companies (such as mine) to design and manufacture some of the coolest, and highest end camera systems on the planet; a sort of Cambrian explosion of new camera designs and systems. RED ONE would be to digital what KODAK is/was to film. This I believe would stimulate terrific economic growth in this sector and force Canon and Nikon down market in the point and shoot direction, and will leave Hasselblad and Mamiya scratching their heads. If the system is open such that it can be easily integrated into different systems and the device is easy and open to talk to (digitally speaking) then this will represent an amazing opportunity and a new “Gold Rush”. This will really level the playing field. We would like this new device to be easily and seamlessly integrated into 3rd party systems so that developers of new HW and SW can effect distinct product identities, i.e. The design and form factor is fairly neutral, so that a camera system could have a sticker on it that says “RED INSIDE” just like PCs that say “Intel Inside”. I think this will also really shake up the industrial camera market too.

2. RED CODE, various meta formats and architecture.

The kind of work we do, we are constantly faced by the fact that industry standard formats are unable to delivery the things we need to do. We have of course our own internal formats, but we are constantly faced with problems of how we can make our formats more usable to the industry. We are looking at various flavors of binary XML. We have to include stereo video, stereo texture maps streamed VR geometries, Coherently stereo textured geometries, encoder data, time stamps... the list goes on. Would be nice of RED to develop a sensible rationale for future expanded functionality that I am sure will be integral to a high res still camera that shoots motion. I.e. Allow structures such as High res frame, 20 low res frames, High res frame, 20 low res etc. plus write all the supplemental data to headers for each image such as positional encoder info and GPS etc. I'm sure RED has been thinking in this direction for a long time now.

Eric Lange
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM
SMALL PICTURE NUTS AND BOLTS WISH LIST FOR DSMC

1. Have sensor chip mounted on symmetrical frame perhaps made of a nickel alloy similar to Invar. This is to mitigate thermal movements in X,Y and Z. (very important for precision work).

2. Provide plenty of surfaces to bolt onto. We need rigid mounting so we can maintain 3 arc second precision in 6DOF. Not even industrial cameras adequately provide for this.

3. Removable chassis. The enables further 3rd party engineering. It takes a lot balls to put leaf digital camera back into a CNC vice and start cutting!

4. Narrow form factor, this makes it easier to get good close up stereo shots such as peoples faces. Interaxial separation of 8cm between two camera would be nice.

5. Sensor size probably not to be larger than 35 by 48 mm, as this will include the largest number of possible lenses (at least from our point of view). The new leaf 56MP backs are approaching 60x60 mm formats, which leaves one reaching for older lenses.

6. At least if the system physically breaks down to an open sensor, like a digital back then people have the option if the want to go range finder and use Biogon/Scneider/Rodenstock wide angle low distortion lenses, or if they want a mirror box/prism that can be bolted on and folks can use their distagon type primes i.e. Hasselblad (depending on provided shutter mechanisms), Mamiya etc.

7. For FX and other works such as 3d, would nice to make sure the system can be mounted on rail system so one can pull focus, and use the same type of filters and matte boxes that the cinematographers are using on set, so that it is possible to match color and contrast for special process shots.

8. For special process work 2d or 3d (as you know) when you have 4K final output, in my opinion it is absolutely necessary to have a higher resolution acquisition system so that in the final composite you don't get artifacts that manifest themselves as textural differences as a result of under-sampling. A 48MP sensor would be very nice (indeed)

9. Simple methods to easily synchronize (time wise) to the pixel, multiple cameras from two to 10, enable complete remote control so the action of physically pushing buttons on the camera does not upset precision adjustments.

I know, its a rather greedy wish list,

Ta.

mbrakes
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
1. As good as the camera will probably be, please don't understimate the importance of a full, compatible flash system. Wireless flash - or the ability to work with existing systems from Canon or Nikon - is a must for the working style of many stills photographers/photojournalists. "Radiopoppers" are the coolest new gadget to appear for a long time, see www.radiopoppers.com. Radiopoppers are added onto Canon or Nikon flash units for reliable wireless flash. With radiopoppers you can shoot high-speed flash sync at 1/8000 of a second at f 2.8 for shallow depth of field and underexpose the blue sky in the background. I would love to have a radio-controllable remote flash system with high-speed capability built-in which is compatible with high-voltage external batteries like the LumeDyne TinyCycler, Quantum Turbo batteries or similar for a fast flash lighting setup, strobist-style. (see strobist.com for more on compact location flash lighting)

2. Compatibility with Photoshop Lightroom/Photoshop. I suppose DNG raw format is out of the question because RED is supposed to use some clever, proprietary RAW format(?), but I like the idea of an open RAW format, and don't like the idea of yet another RAW convertor tool. Lightroom is well on it's way to become a complete all-in-one workflow tool which is hard to beat.

3. Full frame for nice, shallow depth of field.

4. A real, videocam-style tilt/swivelable monitor for low-level shots etc. with proper live view without sacrificing a 100% viewfinder and exchangeable focusing screens (I don't like EVF's.)

5. Autofocus to rival that of Canon and Nikon, with full-time manual focusing on lenses.

6. Selectable RAW format sizes. As someone pointed out earlier on, the megapixel race has gotten to a point where the file size is often larger than needed, just creating processing/storage problems. Would be nice to be able to select from S, M, and L size RAW files.

7. Modular approach, so you can optionally configure the camera to be a low-profile lightweight travel/stealth-cam like a Leica or a fast machine with vertical grip, wifi etc.

8. GPS for geotagging (or at least a Nikon-style plug for GPS accessory)

Eric Lange
09-09-2008, 12:22 PM
1. "Radiopoppers" are the coolest new gadget to appear for a long time, see www.radiopoppers.com. Radiopoppers are added onto Canon or Nikon flash units for reliable wireless flash. With radiopoppers you can shoot high-speed flash sync at 1/8000 of a second at f 2.8 for shallow depth of field and underexpose the blue sky in the background.accessory)

Very cool, thanks for the link, looks very useful for our type of applications.

Cheers.

liquidigital
09-09-2008, 12:44 PM
1. Big bright optical viewfinder

2. Flash exposure lock

3. Weather seals

4. Full-frame 4/3

5. Image stabilized body

6. Flawless auto focus

Patrick Tresch
09-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Make it silent! :)

Patrick

Aaron G.
09-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I think it would be awesome if you had a modular camera, with a removable display panel (like the epic)... BUT, there are 2 panels, one has a feature set for Photo's, and one for Cinema. And keep limited features for the opposing panel (so if I'm shooting Cinema, and want to take a great quick still, I still can). Make sense?

Think of it as something like this: http://line6.com/store/hardware.html?familyID=41

This is a guitar pedal, but is the best explanation of what I'm talking about.

fde101
09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
make it as small as possible!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG AND HEAVY, AT *LEAST* AS BIG AND HEAVY AS EOS 30D....

fde101
09-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Okay, now that I've bemoaned the drive toward impossibly small and useless devices...

1. Big and heavy, like pro grade DSLRs.

2. OPTICAL VIEWFINDER.

(Let me stress the importance of this one...)

OPTICAL VIEWFINDER.

3. Universal lens mount would be nice -- take off Canon EF lens and attach Nikon lens to same mount?

4. Native DNG raw format for stills, R3D for movie footage.

Julio
09-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Here is my wish list for the perfect DSLR

Full 35 mm frame

compatible with Nikon and Canon glass

40 to 50 megapixels

live shoot (Meaning you can see on lcd what you are shooting)

full information available on the lcd to display like histograms etc.

raw shooting with multiple flash card at least two son one is full the other one is use (giving some sound warning the first card is full)

optical viewfinder also.

wifi transmition

remote control via wifi and bluetooth

wireless remote control of flash via bluetooth

sensor very sensitive for about 50 ISO.

dark frame correction.

anti - shake movement correction On camera.

sound recording in camera

gps coordinates device on camera.

usb connection

direct shooting to computer and direct computer control with some app on the computer

remote computer control and shooting via wifi.

not use of mechanical parts like curtains etc I guess if there is optical viefinder you will still need a mirror to go up and down in that case it will be better not to have the optical viewfinder if there is a very good big lcd screen.

sensitivity range at least from 50 to 64000 ISO

almost no noise at 64000

14 to 16 bit color preferably 16 bit color but if totally perfect make it 32 bit color! That will be incredible! :biggrin:

possibly able to get hi def video from it.

Rob Martin
09-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Three sensors (or four), all MF Full frame. RGB or CYMK ?

Might make it a bit large...... Gets rid of a Bayer Algorithym, adds a RED one.

Peter Majtan
09-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah! 3x Monstro for true RGB non-Bayer image... Sounds great!

Joseph Ward
09-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I want two of these plenoptic lens with two Scarlets cough, cough, ohh I mean two Red DSMC DSLR.:sarcasm: Light Field Digital Computational Cinematography!:w00t:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/3d-magic/...%5D-308659.php

And this, like NHK Axi-Vision Camera for Virtual Studio System. Z-cam! Together!:pinch:

http://www.nhk.or.jp/digital/en/technical/pdf/01_2_3.PDF

Ahmad Muswanto
09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
tilt shift mechanism on camera
see http://www.rajiv.com/blog/2005/01/19/suggestions-to-nikon/

Ahmad Muswanto
09-09-2008, 11:33 PM
MODULAR MODULAR MODULAR

At least 3 modules:

Basic Module (Proprietary) very thin, maximum 12mm
full frame sensor, control, processor, lcd info, internal storage 1GB, basic output (usb 2.0, and hdmi)
price: $1499

Mounting Module (could be third party, depend on lens or with fixed lens, and feature)
mount the lens, shutter, autofocus motor for nikon AF-D, mirror, optical viewfinder, hotshoe for flash
price: from $299

Output module (could be third party)
LCD (tilt+swing or fixed), output, wifi, storage, in module retouching
price: from $99

and battery grip

fde101
09-11-2008, 05:02 AM
Modular and tilt-shift both sound good...

And an optical viewfinder of course...

In terms of the three sensors, if we're sticking a prism in front of them, how about replaceable filter modules in front of the sensors? In one variation, you'd have filters that would make one sensor red, one green, and one blue; in another, you'd bayer-pattern the sensors with the addition of different levels of ND to permit for HDR...

EDIT: Ooh, and of course another set of filters would polarize the light so that a lens adaptor in the front could polarize input from three lenses positioned and coordinated such that we could get stereo capture... err, can you call it stereo if you've got 3 sensors?

The "middle lens" would capture a straight-on shot for basic monitoring and for the 2D version of a movie, while the other two would be angled to get the two "eye" positions for 3D/stereo version...

Yannick Hagman
09-11-2008, 05:31 AM
For me:
-Compatibility with Canon EOS lenses. And preferably old Nikon F glass. And while you're at it Zeiss lenses.
-huge DR
-waveforms
-huge screen
-ergonomic
-silent mirror
-35mm video mode in 4k or 5k but also at lower resolutions.

VikramTank
09-11-2008, 05:03 PM
please integrate pocketwizard syncing on all 32 channels. There is already a large userbase of pocketwizard users. Also a lot of products like light meters and flash generators have it integrated.

Raphael Varandas
09-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Holly mamma...guys you have my dollars.
Thank you again and again and...
Jim every night im going to the bed with you...my wife just put me to sleep in the office.
Red user and red site every fucking minute countind down to the 3303.
Congrats team...thank you all

Raphael Varandas
09-11-2008, 09:56 PM
I trust you guys...my wish list definitely is done!!

In Red we trust...for sure

So...next

RED-Tank
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Jim, Red, Peter and all you guys here are so advanced and creative.

Love you all :D.

the chef
09-13-2008, 05:01 AM
-video: it has to be way way better than the Casio EXILIM Pro EX-F1 but like 1200 fps in full frame(2k?) the casio has only 336x96.
-sync speed up to 2000.
-iso : lets say the nikon d3 can do from 100-25600(expanded) but i suggest something between iso 50-50000 (is that too much?).so u dont need a built in flash.
-15 fps burst up to 120 shots in full resolution raw or what ever is going to be called.
-extreme temperature functionality from -40 up to 150.
-internal hd like 400-500gb(mp3 player like bluetooh headphones no cables to plug ) is kinda cool listening to some music while shooting.
-built in sim slot for mobile phone.
-cableless. wi-fi 802.11 b g I will b able watching my mails and surfing the web on the display of my cam.
-nikon canon mount (already mentioned).
-4-5 inch display.
Oh yeah I frogot, a built in expresso coffe machine that would b dope!!

check out my blog and video at www.framedblog.com www.framedvideo.com

the chef
09-13-2008, 05:02 AM
oh yeah i frogot all this under a G.

andy batt
09-13-2008, 03:47 PM
speaking for myself, as a professional commercial photographer:
I'm hoping for a PRO quality DSLR/DSMC. I currently own a Canon 1dsM2, 5d and 1dsM3. I rent 1dM3's and Nikon D3's as needed.

I am not interested in RED competing with 40d's, XTi's, D90, etc. - if you need a prosumer camera at an inexpensive price point, there's a huge selection available from Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Ricoh, Casio, Olympus, Sony ETC.

While $5000 to $8000 is a lot to pay if you are a hobbiest, or a part timer, that price point is the current mark for the top end of the DSLR market. So while I'm not knocking affordability, I think most pro's would feel comfortable with RED delivering within that zone. What I'm hoping is that for that price point RED trumps Canon and Nikon in the areas of capability, UI and post workflow. What I expect (as a given) is the build and functionality equivalent (or surpassing) of the 1dsM3 and the D3.

Based on working with the 'in hand' capabilities of the 1dsm3 and the post workflow of lightroom 2/photoshop cs3, here are few thoughts/suggestions for the still capabilities of the RED DSMC (in no order):

1. Meta Data. Lots of it. Unfettered access to it. Canon and Nikon's cameras record a wealth of metadata, but don't allow adobe access to it. EXAMPLE: i'd love to be able to 'see' the focus point chosen by the camera in AI Servo overlaid in my post workflow.

2. Adjustability in the focus system: I need to know where the camera is focusing, and where it's placing the 'sweet spot' - IE does the autofocus focus to the 'center' of the DOF or is it back or front weighted?

3. Tracking autofocus: the current Nikon D3 has an amazing focus tracking system - the RED will need to match that. A superior 'sideways' tracking would be appreciated (ie a moving subject moves across a fixed camera position - the camera should be able to ID that object and track it - currently the focus tracking seems weighted towards objects moving from 'far to near')

4. Buffer. With a 1dsm3 and 4gb Ducati (Sandisk) cards, I can squeeze off a burst of about 12 images before it hits a buffer wall. I'd love to shoot continuously, with no worries.

5. RAW files. DNG format (at minimum, as an option). An open CODEC that adobe, apple, etc. can access to build robust workflows.

6. Frame Rate - a fully adjustable FPS

7. robust connections - flash sync ports should be miniplug - the standard PC Sync terminals are horrible, prone to failure and wear. Pocket wizard, Broncolor, Prophoto, etc. use a combination of standard and mini mono plugs - they are cheap, ubiquitous and allow inter-operability. Data plugs should be firewire 800, eSATA and USB 2(3) - these should either be standard, or so robust and protected that I would be willing to shell out the $$ for proprietary cables (in a perfect world, the ISO would work with computer and device manufacturers to come up with real world, robust, protected, weather proof connections - the current crop of connections generally suck)

8. Bluetooth capability for off camera control - either proprietary - ie a RED physical build, or maybe RED licensed software for PDAs, or open to allow programmers to customize.

9. A superior 'computer control' software built with professionals in mind. Canon's control software is rank amateur.

10. superfast sync speed: via an optional leaf shutter - I love DSLR's and am constantly unimpressed with the hasselblad H2/H3 - but the one area that Hassy continues to trump DSLR's is with higher sync speeds. I would love to attain 1/1000 of a second for sync. If there is an esoteric tech solution, go for it. Otherwise my suggestion would be to engineer a high tech (read fully integrated) leaf shutter than can be mounted inbetween lens and body.

11. greater dynamic range - getting 12-20 stops of range would be useful - commercial photography generally doesn't allow for multi shot solutions like HDR.

12. lower noise in shadow areas - the least responsive 'area' of the current CMOS sensors is in the shadow section - and is the most likely to exhibit noise - hence the 'expose to the right' concept.

13. lower noise for tungsten light: the blue pixel response of current CMOS chips is more noisy - ie using unfiltered tungsten sources adds more noise (than HMI, strobes, sunlight etc.)

14. sharpness vs. anti-alias.: DSLRs use an anti-alias filter to avoid pattern interference, at the expense of a slight loss of sharpness, and Med. Format cameras flip that. It's usually not an issue, but comparisons of a scene taken by both types of cameras usually shows the difference. I'd love to see another technical solution for alias issues so that a RED camera would have the sharpness of Med. Format.

15. incorporated expansion bay - built into the bottom of the camera, using some kind of industry standard data connection - to allow for additional widgets , but not just a 'dumb' widget - for example, adding a Pocket Wizard widget that adds wireless sync is good, but having a pocketwizard multimax inside the camera, with it's controls presented on the main camera screen is awesome.

16. wimax protocol (or equivalent wifi) - current wifi widgets are too slow for practical use - you can send jpegs decently, but transferring an 8gb cards worth of 22mp raw files is asking for problems.

17. CF card media - the current pro standard. they are robust, an industry standard, and are constantly being innovated and upgraded. plus most pros have many of them already, and would be very unhappy to have to purchase a 100GB's of SD cards.

18. No proprietary media - IE please don't go the Panasonic P2 route of repackaging SD cards and charging a fortune for them.

19. interchangeable focus screens - or if we're dreaming out loud, a focus screen that is bright, but also can you show the focus depth down to f1.2

20. please stick with an SLR optical viewfinder (or it's equivalent) - electronic viewfinders are useless. that said, the live view on the 1dsm3 is invaluable.

21. self cleaning sensors (something that actually works)

22. easy to clean sensors - the easiest DSLR to clean was a FUJI S2 - because it used a stock Nikon body, the sensor chamber was oversized (ie full 35mm frame). therefore it was easy to get a sensor swab inside the chamber and sweep the dust over the edge - the 1dsm3 chamber is so tight, you end up pushing the dust to the edges of the sensor. eventually, with a lot of experience and hard work, you can remove most of the dust, but it's a pain in the ass. I'd suggest calling up the fine folks at visible dust and brainstorming on how to make this process simpler and more effective.

that's all I have for now - will post more as it occurs to me.

cheers

andy batt
www.andybatt.com

[edit] add one more thing - a slower ISO - yes I know ISO 600,000,000 is really sexy, but there are plenty of times I wish I had a ISO 50, 25 or 12. Yes I can add ND or a polarizer, but it's not the same.

Lars Xang
09-13-2008, 06:11 PM
oh yeah i frogot all this under a G.

I am hoping this is more a pro-level DSLR in the 3000 to 7000 range.

hagenbach
09-14-2008, 03:34 AM
>10. superfast sync speed:

>11. greater dynamic range

>12. lower noise in shadow areas

>13. lower noise for tungsten light:

>14. sharpness vs. anti-alias.

>20. please stick with an SLR optical viewfinder

>22. easy to clean sensors

i'll second some of above points - they are the real game!

a+

the chef
09-14-2008, 03:35 AM
I am hoping this is more a pro-level DSLR in the 3000 to 7000 range.

i need to rob a bank then

hey lara take a look at my blog
www.framedblog.com

Benni Diez
09-14-2008, 06:04 AM
MODULAR MODULAR MODULAR

Yes, even more than Red One or Epic! Think bullet time rigs, reasonably sized stereo rigs and stuff like that.

Brad Olsen
09-14-2008, 02:39 PM
One thing I don't like about many DSLRs is the tiny viewfinder. I hate pressing my face up against the LCD screen to frame up my shot. I'm sure the DSMC will have a better design

The DSMC is supposed to have the MONSTRO image sensor in it right? The DSMC should have a full frame 35mm version of that image sensor. I figure that the easiest way to avoid major rolling shutter issues in motion or movie mode would be to "window" an area the size of the current RED One image sensor. DSMC footage would have prettier shallow DOF than the Scarlet :-) I'd be more than happy with 1-100fps 2K footage from the DSMC as long as movie footage utilized that much of the image sensor.

Even if there is no way to hook up external audio I think a small stereo mic on the DSMC would be useful as reference audio to help sync audio from an external mixer recording. Or as a quick sound option for home movie recording.

One last thing, could it cost less than the Scarlet? Like $1k? I'd say NO WAY! But if somebody off the street came up and told me before the last NAB that a 3K RED Scarlet camera with a 2/3" chip will cost less than $3k I wouldn't have believed them either. :P

Sindre Saebo
09-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Just so Red team doesn't forget (though I know people have wished for this already): Pre-record. In my opinion, it's the single most important feature on the DSMC. Buffer recording of a sufficient number of frames/seconds so the magic moment is not lost if you push the button to late. Everything else I trust is being taken good care of.

fde101
09-15-2008, 04:22 AM
11. greater dynamic range

I think this is a given, considering RED's focus on sensor tech...

12. lower noise in shadow areas

As with 11...

13. lower noise for tungsten light:

Okay, here is a complicated issue. Tungsten light is blue-deficient, so the blue channel is naturally "dark" on the daylight-balanced sensors that RED creates. The "built-in" solution is to stretch the blue channel to meet the other colors, but this results in slightly more "noise" within the channel, as you pointed out. The alternative is to use filters and increase the exposure to compensate. Other than having built-in physical filters within the camera that can be flipped on and off, I don't think there is a "nice" solution to this...

And I for one would prefer that RED stick with daylight-balanced sensors.

20. please stick with an SLR optical viewfinder

YES!! OPTICAL VIEWFINDER, PLEASE!

22. easy to clean sensors

Why not self-cleaning, like Canon is doing?

SeanAzul
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Dump ISO - I want anything or everything to be exposed properly or how I tell decide.

High speed shooting = Imagine shooting video like speed and allowing me to choose my frames at any point.

rawfa
09-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Thinking reasonably, I would be happy with this image quality: http://www.vimeo.com/1723303 , full hd, large sensor with loads of dynamic range, lenses compatibility with other brands without the need of an expensive adapter, high quality slow motion, no repugnant jelly belly effect from shaky movements like the D90, around 1k price. All these things were already more or less done by different companies, but they need to be put together and perfected.

Aeron
09-16-2008, 05:15 AM
I want two of these plenoptic lens with two Scarlets cough, cough, ohh I mean two Red DSMC DSLR.:sarcasm: Light Field Digital Computational Cinematography!:w00t:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/3d-magic/...%5D-308659.php

And this, like NHK Axi-Vision Camera for Virtual Studio System. Z-cam! Together!:pinch:

http://www.nhk.or.jp/digital/en/technical/pdf/01_2_3.PDF

This is amazing! I love it the possibilities are endless u can do so many cool things with a zd depth pass in 3d and compositing. After Effects will surely have amazing integration aswell. Adobe I love you!

RED if you can bring this lense to market! the effects industry will beat your doors down.

andy batt
09-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Why not self-cleaning, like Canon is doing?

Because Canon's self cleaning doesn't work. I'm sure it helps, but it requires manual cleaning.

13. lower noise for tungsten light:
Okay, here is a complicated issue. Tungsten light is blue-deficient, so the blue channel is naturally "dark" on the daylight-balanced sensors that RED creates. The "built-in" solution is to stretch the blue channel to meet the other colors, but this results in slightly more "noise" within the channel, as you pointed out. The alternative is to use filters and increase the exposure to compensate[snip]...

And I for one would prefer that RED stick with daylight-balanced sensors.

I'm thinking that the sensors are daylight optimized, but with RAW captures these chips are not daylight balanced. The problem is pretty much as you stated - but since this is a wish list, and RED is like Santa Claus, I'm hoping they can do some magic and tweak the blue channel response.

Ketch Rossi
09-17-2008, 03:31 PM
What can I say Peter,

great list and frankly been the kind of guy that doesn't involve him self to much in the deep technical aspects of electronic, I fill great that does like you are here to request this kind of important features.

As I must have the latest in Tech, I go creasy in the middle of the Big boy's wars, and couldn't be happier of RED coming in to the game, but for me as I pint it out in Jim's thread, it is important not only to have a Scarlet version of the "DSMC" but also a Epic version of it to be used in the professional field of High Fashion and Glamour Photography were the requirements are for much larger files, some time larger then what even my 1DS III @over 21MP can offer, and in fact thinking for this reason of the Hassy H3D II 50MP.

Will see what pops out of the BIG RED heat soon in off!:sorcerer: :)

ciao

Daniel Browning
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
almost no noise at 64000

Part of light's very basic nature is to fluctuate according to Poisson statistics. Therefore, it will never be possible to reduce this, which is known as photon shot noise. Today's technology is already with 1-3 stops of 100% quantum efficiency, at which point no further improvement will be possible.

Read noise, on the other hand, is an area where it is theoretically possible to improve.

fruitsandvegetables
09-17-2008, 04:26 PM
wow..I am excited
My wishlist

-price range around 2k but definitly under 3k

-built-in timelapse mode

-adapter ring to use with older manual lenses like Canon FD(uber adapter kits for all the mainstream still camera lens)(they are so cheap)

-programmable option to take a sequences of different exposures in one click aka HDRI image(could be useful for making HDRI sphere)

Now this is a mind blowing feature

-laser measuring device built into camera for image based modeling
and this is how it's gonna work
1.take first photo with laser mark on
2.save the distance in meta data
3.take second photo of same thing without laser mark for camera projection
4.rebuild the 3d scene
5.profit??

-compact design .make it as small and light weight as possible within reason.I don't want big and bulky design to impress me.I want nice and tight.

I will come up with more later.

Daniel Browning
09-17-2008, 06:13 PM
25-100 megapixels

By the end of 2009, I think 50-100 megapixels would be enough to blow my socks off, but 25 MP would be OK too.

Users who want less noise, higher dynamic range, and better SNR can simply resample down to 12 MP.

Big sensor!

The RED ONE and MONSTRO are Super35-sized. All your lenses throw Super35 image circles. That would lead me to bet that DSMC will be APS-C as well. But would you consider doing a larger sensor anyway? There is less photon shot noise. Lenses for the 36x24mm (still 35) format are available in wider variety than any other format. The value is usually pretty good, too.

The really obvious stuff

The more lens mounts the better (Canon, Nikon, etc.)
Dynamic range, quantum efficiency, SNR, full-well capacity, etc.
900k+ dot display
Under $4,000 would be nice.
Good ergonomic design with lots of external buttons and controls.
Intervalometer.
Eye-level viewfinder.
Most of the features of the D700 and 5Dm2

Sensor temperature gauge

One feature that would be very useful for long-exposure, timelapse cinematography, and astrophotography would be having easy access to the temperature of the sensor at the time of exposure. Dark frame subtraction must be correlated with temperature, so knowing what that is would allow the selection of proper dark frames from the library in post production.

Integrated Darkframe Feature

For the times when the temperature is variable, or you don't have (or want to use) a library darkframe, it would be nice to be able to take darkframes using timelapse controls on the camera or in tethered laptop instead of being required to put the lens cap on. For a 180-degree shutter, it would be nice to be able to use the closed-shutter time to take the darkframe.

Optional thermoelectric cooler

It would be nice if there was an option to easily add a sensor cooling unit. Since dark current (or thermal noise) and hot pixels, and kTC noise (a tiny bit) vary with temperature, having control over the temperature would give much greater flexibility in reducing these noise sources, or just being able to use a smaller dark frame library (two or three temperatures of X shutter speeds each).

It will require a lot of power, which leads me to my next wishlist item.

Optional long-term battery solution

Timelapse shooting can easily go 24 hours non-stop, so it would be nice to have an optional long-term battery solution, no matter how much it weighs.

An A/C connection option would be nice.

No shutter/mirror/prism assembly

I think RED ONE has proved that EVF technology has advanced enough to start replacing OVF. This would allow the flange focal distance to be as small as desired.

Built-in filters

With the OVF out of the way, it would be nice to use some of that space for something important, like filters. A couple ND filters, infrared filters, UV, 80A, and a few magenta filters. The magenta would increase dynamic range and reduce noise in many common outdoor lighting situations. Camera and/or software control of the built-in filters would be ideal. Probably limited due to flare/focus issues.

100% live view

This makes it much easier to achieve critical focus in some types of photography. Peaking would be a bonus. Depth of field preview should be available. If there is a mirror assembly, please allow for mirror lockup during composition when using live view.

Shutter lockup (not MLU) live view

For extremely sensitive mount situations (astrophotography, macrophotography), even the minute movement of the sensor shutter itself can cause vibration. Therefore, it would be nice if there was an option for shutter lockup in live view mode. That would require an electronic first curtain. The shutter vibration would still occur, but only at the second curtain where it doesn't affect the image.

Swing and tilt display

One that can swing and tilt to any angle for waist-level, ground-level, and awkward hi-hat mounted positions.

Black and white eye-level viewfinder

I would prefer to have the eye-level viewfinder as black and white, to get triple the resolution of a color LCD. Peaking. I don't know if there are any being manufacturered that way anymore. If not, then a color viewfinder is fine.

Auto ISO

The photographer chooses the aperture and shutter, while the AE chooses the ISO. In the split-second it takes me to switch from 200 to 1600 on my DSLR the shot is gone.

Beginner Auto ISO programming

Allow the photographer to set a maximum ISO for use during Auto ISO.

Advanced Auto ISO programming

Allow the photographer to have full control over the decisions made by the camera AE system through the use of multiple priority levels. The user makes an arbitrary number of priorities and AE choices at each priority:

first priority: shutter 1/250 or faster
second: aperture f/8 or narrower
third: ISO 3200 or lower
fourth (if at 1/250, f/8 and 3200 already): f/5.6+
fifth: 1/125 (absolute lowest I'll go, only if at f/5.6 already)
sixth: ISO 12800.

3-4 fully programmable modes

For example, mode one is set to use full-featured auto ISO above with flash and custom white balance A. Mode two is set to standard manual control and fixed ISO with no flash and custom white balance B, but the AF-assist beam is enabled. Mode three is aperture priority, daylight white balance, -1.3 fill flash, etc.

Allow the choice of analog, digital, and meta-data gain separately.

Analog gain is done before the ADC. Digital gain is done after the ADC, but before writing the JPEG. Meta-data gain is never done at all, it's just a suggestion in the metadata.

If the camera provides analog gain, allow for the use of digital and metadata gain for the same range. It gives you the same effect as using low analog gain with negative exposure compensation, but "ISO 1600 metadata" makes more sense than "ISO 200 analog and -3.0 EC".

Provide a wide range of digital gains

Take a high key shot and resample it to 256x144, then ratchet up the ISO until the noise is unbearable. That's probably the maximum that anyone would ever find useful, that's the level that should be allowed in camera. I can do ISO 56,000 on my meager Canon 20D, so you ought to allow ISO 205,000+.

Some good lossless compressed RAW

Allow for additional (lossless) automatic compression of low exposures. All 12-16 bits aren't needed to record an ISO 12,800 shot losslessly, for example.

Lossy RAW compression

You should definitely allow for an advanced lossy RAW compression. It would be better than resampling to smaller sizes for uncompressed recording.

The sRAW solution Canon came up with stinks. A quarter of the resolution for only a tiny increase in space savings? RED can do a lot better than that.

Consider the openraw format

It's probably too limited for your purposes, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Add support for your raw format to dcraw.c

It would be a nice gesture. :-)

Don't sell the ADC bits snake oil

RED ONE records an apprpriate number of bits from the ADC, just enough to capture the dynamic range of the sensor. Don't be wasteful with internal processing capacity and flash storage space like Canon is with its faux 14-bit data.

User-upgradable memory

Maybe it can ship with a two-gig DDR3 stick in one slot, and another slot is open. People would want more pipeline capacity (longer burst mode, more flash card buffering) can pop in another DDR3 stick (perhaps even after a year or two).

RAW RGB combined with srgb review

Raw RGB histograms and zebras should be available for overlay even against a white-balanced aRGB review image.

Include all the dark pixels in the raw data.

Let the raw conversion benefit from advances in pattern noise removal algorithms that utilize the dark pixels.

Don't clip the blacks in RAW like Nikon

You already amplify your black by 50 ADU in the RED ONE. Keep up the good work! Elevating those levels will make sure that all the read noise patterns are recorded fully, which makes them much easier to remove.

Truly RAW RAW

Don't be tempted to use noise reduction in high ISO like Sony did, even though it will mean less sales because of consumers who don't know the difference between software noise reduction and low noise. Of course, double-correlated sampling and other hardware noise reduction is unrelated.

If you record multiple aspect ratios, the default behavior should be to indicate the aspect ratio (or crop) in metadata, while the full image is always recorded. There should be a second option to allow some users to actually record only the desired area, to save space, frame rate, etc.

New Lenses

If you're going to make new lenses, please go fast and wide. My favorite is the Canon 24mm f/1.4.

HDR assist

Assist the photographer in shooting High Dynamic Range photos by allowing him to setup two or more different settings, then taking all the photos in rapid succession. E.g., four shots with four different shutter speeds, all taken in less than one quarter-second. Metadata could indicate that these are to be processed as a group for High Dynamic Range.

In-sensor HDR hardware

I know there are hundreds of patents on various CMOS HDR hardware designs. A lot of people think these existing designs work pretty well. Consider doing your own?

User-editable firmware

Allow users to develop their own firmware to run on the camera. CHDK shows how useful this can be.

Open Source Firmware

Even better than letting us write our own is letting us improve yours.

PDBreske
09-18-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm new to this site, but not new to photography, so I wanted to add my two cents:

While I love a big, bright optical viewfinder, I think EVFs are the future. A mirror is just too big and slow to work at the kinds of speeds we are asking from this new camera. Plus, it makes the camera big. If an EVF could be made to provide the highest resolution possible - something impossible to distinguish from an optical view with the naked eye - it would be a boon to photography. Just think of seeing the exact image you will capture, corrected for white balance, depth of field, dynamic range. Of course battery consumption would be an issue, but battery designs are getting more and more efficient. Perhaps and "eye-start" system that would turn on the EVF only when your eye is peering into the camera?

Contrary to some other requests, I don't want it to be big and imposing. Nor do I want it to be too small. The size should be "just right." People with average hands should be able to manipulate the controls without fumbling, but it should also be hand-holdable for long shoots with relatively long lenses. Unlike cinema cameras, still shooters are more prone to work without a tripod and a camera with a 70-200/2.8 lens attached is heavy. While some heft is good for stability, there is a trade-off.

In-camera stabilization is a fantastic thing. Any lens could be used and gain the advantages of the system. This is probably the hardest thing to design as it would have to "talk" to every type of lens to calibrate the sensor-shift mechanism.

I think a full-frame 35mm sensor would allow for the greatest range of available lens use, but a square sensor would be fun to shoot with. You wouldn't need a vertical grip option!

I tend to like rugged industrial design, but for something that is going to be in my hands for long periods, I want a nice, smooth, ergonomic shape. As stated above, still shooters handle their cameras off the tripod a lot, and the design of the Scarlett looks like it just wasn't made for the hands of a human. Take note of Minolta/Sony SLR ergonomic design - these cameras are a joy to hold and operate.

I would like to think that you guys could perfect an electronic shutter, and if so, give us show-stopping flash sync speeds. I know some have asked for speeds up to 1/1000sec, but why stop there? Without moving parts, an electronic shutter could do much better than that.

You'll notice I haven't asked for much in the way of motion picture capture. The truth is, if I want a video camera, I'd buy a Scarlett. Having the ability to capture very high burst-rate sequences is a nice feature of a still camera, to be sure, but shooting a two-hour feature film is not what a still camera is supposed to do. I'm sure it can be designed to do that, but that would just add weight, complexity and cost to what could be a wonderful tool for the still photographer. Don't mess it up with so many bells and whistles that only the elite can afford it.

RED-Tank
09-24-2008, 07:00 PM
A very small request,

Is it possible during the motion-recording, I can have an option of 'canceling' the recording if I am sure that is the very bad take.

I understand in firm days, we sometime need a lot of 'NG' to get the best shot because once the firm has rolled, you can't roll back or re-use.

But it is digital era now, won't it be nice if we have a cancel button during the recording.

This would be really helpful for event shooting as well when someone suddenly block into the view just when you want to record the scene.

I understand you can always remove it from the thumbnails later, but that is extra step and take out unnecessary process time (perhaps).

I am asking this because most of the DSLR today always have an option of showing 2-4 seconds preview immediately after take, give you a chance to erase the file if you don't like it. Can RED do the same for the motion clip in DSMC ?

Thanks.

bongobongo
09-26-2008, 12:53 AM
One large sensor preferably 24 * 36 mm
The whole sensor area to be used for Stills as well as full width of the sensor for video 24P, 25P, 30P, 60p ... in 1080, 3K, 4k and eventually 120p in burst mode.

Now in order to make it support ONE NEW REMOVABLE ULTRAFAST, ULTRACOMPACT, "LIGHTWEIGHT" GUERILLA RED ZOOM LENS, as well as some fixed RED lenses, more DOF (yes more), why not make it so it uses some smaller part of the 24mm * 36mm sensor ... how much of the sensor... well it would be nice not needing a truck when you move this tool around... why not use an area equal to super35mm, same size as the RED ONE.
I would like to see the RED ultrafast zoomlens for this puppy to be more wide than tele. If compared to 35mm photo, then I would rather have
a 20mm - 150mm lens than a 30 - 200mm lens. For those wanting more tele, then make another zoom or some fixed lenses.

Then we have the best of both worlds....
Full 24 * 36mm sensor size for photography as well as for some 1080, 3k and 4k video and shallow DOF.
Super35mm with support for RED zoom and fixed lenses, not so shallow DOF, RED RAW, ultrafast, compact video beast.
All in one compact unit, with support for different DOF...... then buy RED lenses and/or Canon lenses depending on what you want to shoot.

When in video mode one should be able to choose between RED RAW and another more compact format.

I want it to come with a small sized battery for photography and some video shooting.
For more heavy video then it should be possible to hook up some optional batteries.

To compete with the small big (Nikon, Canon, not the big big guys like Hasselblad, Phase One) guys in stills mode it has to be 24 * 36... period.
It should produce as good stills as the 5D Mark II will, at least in the 50 6400 ISO range.

If the above for stills then they should also support canon EF lenses as well and if possible both Canon and Nikon lenses. If it supported EF lenses... then many of these lenses has IS (image stabilizer) built in...

AF and MF has to work flawlessly in both stills and video mode.

For stills it need X-sync for those mega studio flashes as well as a flash shoe on top of it.

One high res display where you can zoom in to check focus.
And absolutely mandatory, this display should be flippable so you can actually use it in different shooting situations where your eyes do not have to be right behind the camera (canon wake up). Please let this be an OLED display with antiflare surface so we can use it outside in all weather....

For stills it has to shoot RAW (why not Adobe DNG format), and if possible be able to shoot JPG in parallel.

Full weather sealing..

Less than one kilogram.. (body only)

A lightweight handle so you can hold it in your hands when shooting below your hips, standing still, walking or running (canon do you read this).
Please make this smart, so when not needed I can push it into the body, and when I want it I just pull out the handle.

Of course support for XLR mics in one way or another, maybe default the small way... and optionally a RED breakout full size XLR box (premade tracks for this breakout box please so I do not have to use tape)
Headphone terminal.

Keep up the heat RED team

Jonas Hed
09-30-2008, 03:54 AM
People want to use existing glass...but if the sensor was 36mm x 36mm square, we could use all existing nikon, canon, leica, whatever glass and get a larger image out of it. Just a thought. (Id buy)

@PerfectOptics: Right! Or 1.33:1 but thats almost square. The great thing about 1.33:1/square is you get more options. Lets say 4K sensor on the red one would be 1.33:1, the same width but more height. You could shoot anamorphic, 4:3 without cropping and less res then marginal to pan-scan it if you like. I think DSLR lenses are covering the 1.33:1 area too, correct me if Im wrong.

Thorsten Overgaard
10-08-2008, 03:52 AM
This is my first post and I haven't read all the exiting things here yet. But I have two wishes for the camera.

1) Compatible with existing lens mounts (I use Leica R) which would make it very easy to buy into the system. It wouldn't take more than a look at the price and the specs and a split-second to decide to get one.

2) Preview in the viewfinder. I've suggested this before elsewhere. An optical viewfinder is key, and then a digital screen in the viewfinder next to it where once can preview the last shot taken. You would never have to look at a screen or remove the eye from the viewfinder. The Leica Digilux 2 has (only) and digital viewfinder. In practical terms, apart from the above mentioned, you can stay silent and quiet shooting without having to move your hands, camera or body.

My 5 cents so far.

Chris Gustafson
10-18-2008, 07:42 AM
After reading every post in this thread... I think most of what I could ever wish for has been mentioned in one way or another... However I would like to second, several requests that were clipping the treetops though the thread.

I am totally confident whatever Jim/Red produces, It will surely have jaw droping tech specs, and capability and actually deliver it in the field, as Red 1 has.

I do not think I would say "naaah" to pretty much any of the features/ben list I have read thus far... However... I really do like the idea of having a "system" that you could make as simple or as complicated/robust as you desire... given whatever situation you are heading out to shoot, and what I need to accomplish in the field for a given client. The idea of totally silent operation for shooting on motion picture sets, and weddings etc... would indeed render "blimps" totally obsolete... That would be really cool !

One thing with the totally Modular design as well... would perhaps make diagnosing and service issues, much more "isolatable" if that makes any since ? If... and I mean If.. the thing ever breaks right ? perhaps unpluging a mod here or there... the camera "still works"... and you could limp through a situation without a lesser backup.. When a card in my PC goes out or needs upgrading... It is pretty nice to be able to slide a new component in myself. My shutter just went out on my trusty 10D... tiz gonna be in the shop 2 weeks... Perhaps "Modular" diagnostics at the consumer level would be a thought... Plug the mod.. into your pic, and the RED software tells you if its up to spec ? Being able to apply features on and off a Mod would be cool to.. so as the camera menu's wouldnt be showing me a ton of stuff that may not apply to me anyway... I hate surfing through a ton of features to finally find the one that I am looking for.... Kinda like Phone voice menu's at Ma Bell...
Please listen closely as our menu's have changed....

Next year won't come soon enough !

cheers

Minisergium
10-24-2008, 02:43 AM
[QUOTE=Brook Willard;281935]
I also assume that the RAW capture will be uncompressed. REDCODE is great and all, but it's still compression. For stills work, there has to be an uncompressed option. I'm sure this is a given.[QUOTE]

I hope, too. It would be definitely GREAT.