PDA

View Full Version : Mojo Vs Nitris

David Morgan
09-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey people,

I'm getting ready to upgrade my software only Mc to either Mojo or Nitris, and I'm wondering is there any difference going forward for ingesting Red footage between the two? Do we have any more information about what Avid plans to do for working with the files natively? If this has already been answered, could someone pleas epoint that out becuase I couldn't find it.

Gavin Rizza
09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
As far as I can figure none of them offer any benefit as far as getting the footage into AVID ie no speed increase. The Mojo DX uses the main CPUs cores for all DNxHD capture and importing whereas the Nitris deals with DNxHD capture but not import (I could be wrong). The Nitirs does however offer more DNxHD streams and faster rendering etc so is a better choice over the Mojo DX.

I'm about to buy one MC Nitirs system for mastering and three Mojo DXs for editing and monitoring. If you can afford Nitris I'd say go with it.

Hope that's helpful.

MichaelP
09-09-2008, 03:05 PM
The major differences are the I/O. Nitris has all the analog connections whereas Mojo is digital I/O only. Nitris also has on board DNxHD encoders/decoders relieving the host CPU from those processes. DNxHD can be encoded using Mojo but needs to be a dual quad CPU.

Michael

Dylan Reeve
09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Also, if the I/O is your only concern, much of it can be made possible with a Blackmagic Broadcast converter (SDI<->Analogue) - although it still won't address thing like LTC outputs, and other stuff that Nitris offers. But if you just need Analogue I/O then it seems like a good comprimise.