PDA

View Full Version : Wish list ...

Even Solberg
09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Coming at this from a nature and event photography perspective, I did some thinking about what I'd like to see in this. Some of it might be unrealistic, but hey - if you don't ask for it, you'll certainly never get it.

Minimum (!) 35 mm full frame. Medium format - yes please.
Self-cleaning sensor is a must.
Let me make full use of my Canon lenses. Yes, I understand that I won't be able to use them on a medium format camera. Unless it can do a crop on-sensor, like Nikon's D3 with the FX & DX modes.
Make the lens mount an open standard meta-mount, so people can create third party mounts for any lenses out there.
Upgradeable. New sensor out? Let me replace the one I have.
GPS. I want to be able to tag EVERY video frame too.
Tilt sensor. With tilt info written into EXIF.
Rugged & Weather sealed
Networkable: WiFi (802.11b/g/n) + Gigabit Ethernet. Converged Network Adapter (Fibre Channel over Ethernet) support would be great, perhaps as an addon.
Remote control-able (touch screen, wifi-pad, trip-sensor, etc)
Redundant data storage (2 x CF, USB, firewire, eSATA, etc)
Dual media (JPEG & raw) recording. Ditto for video - H.264 + R3D. Allow me to specify what goes where. JPEG to card 1 - RAW to card 2, H.264 to card 1 - R3D to eSATA, etc. Alternatively, I want to do spillover, or write to both at the same time.
HDMI for previews
Viewfinder!
30+ Mpixels
ISO 50-12800 minimum
No noise, please. :)
LONG exposure support (hours!)
Huge dynamic range and/or Auto HDRI for stills
Auto exposure bracketing for stills - I may want to do the HDRI myself, or just pick the best one of the bunch.
Auto focus bracketing for stills. Would be very handy for macro. Calculate the DoF, and move focus accordingly for each exposure.
Hyperfocal button - I press the button, the lens goes to the hyperfocal distance for the current aperture.
Stop motion mode (let me choose whether to output a series of stills or a movie)
DNG as raw file format for stills. I want to use Lightroom and Photoshop from Day 1.
Instant boot (as in sub-second, at least!)
IR / low light mode (think "night vision")
120 fps @ 1080p (2K would be even better, 3K a dream)
Full frame 10 fps
User selectable frame rate, both for video and stills.
Make it quiet.
PC connector for external flashes and whatnot
Embedded web server for remote control
Multiple configs can be stored and recalled (and shared) for different types of environments, settings, etc

Ambitious, yes. But Red has amazed us before. Feel free to tear me apart. :)

AIO Films
09-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Design a lens mount system similar to that of P+S IMS multi-brand interchangeable lens system with full electronic compatibility, auto focus, iris control and lens data, etc., so that we can use any lens, including Leica M, Hasselblad, Contax...you name it, on the same camera body.

Too far-fetched a fantasy, I know.